Ryzen 5000 - Difference b/w Trident Z Neo and Trident Z RGB?

stryfex

Weaksauce
I tried googling this and came across a number of threads and there seemed to be some differing opinions that the Neo models are effectively the same but "optimized for Ryzen" whatever that even means - the best I could gather is that the oldest generations of Ryzen had special optimization requirements that are less or even not relevant now - but I didn't quite come out of that googling expedition with a good feeling or understanding of it

Figured I would ask here as this forum has some really knowledgeable users - for something like a 5900x - does it make any difference if you buy a 16-16-16-36 Z RGB kit or a 16-16-16-36 Z NEO kit?

Not sure how interested you are in overclocking the RAM, but I've heard reviewers and even Buildzoid state the RGB kits were inferior from an overclocked of standpoint.

Not sure how interested you are in overclocking the RAM, but I've heard reviewers and even Buildzoid state the RGB kits were inferior from an overclocked of standpoint.
Eh most kits really don't overclock much past their rated speed. Sure you have samsung b-dies but you paying a premium for them. In the end you just better off buying memory with the specs you want.

yah if i buy a 16-16-16-36 kit i"ll never run it lower than that - I'm ultimately just hoping that it will actually run at THAT speed

yah if i buy a 16-16-16-36 kit i"ll never run it lower than that - I'm ultimately just hoping that it will actually run at THAT speed
Which motherboard? The IMC on Zen 2 and newer is really strong so you should be fine with the 5900X

Which motherboard? The IMC on Zen 2 and newer is really strong so you should be fine with the 5900X

Well it's vapor-board at this stage - but I'm holding out for a Dark Hero board unless Gigabyte somehow puts out a 5000-ready board before ASUS learns how to supply Dark Heros

is there any difference between a 2x16gb set vs 4x8gb set for zen3?? both will get you a dual ranked setup for the added performance so would using the 2x16gb set be a little easier on the IMC maybe as only using 2 slots vs 4 slots be easier to run??

is there any difference between a 2x16gb set vs 4x8gb set for zen3?? both will get you a dual ranked setup for the added performance so would using the 2x16gb set be a little easier on the IMC maybe as only using 2 slots vs 4 slots be easier to run??

I'm not sure on this, the couple reviews I saw did not expand on this. But I got the two sticks just for simplicity.

I'm not sure on this, the couple reviews I saw did not expand on this. But I got the two sticks just for simplicity.
you have 2 sticks of 8gb or 2 sticks of 16gb? if you have 2 sticks of 8gb well youre still single ranked and leaving performance on the table. 99% of the 16gb sticks are dual ranked, and this is what im talking about.

Still awaiting the CPU/motherboard, but curious if anyone has an opinion on which of these two mem kits would really make a performance difference on a new Ryzen 5900x / Crosshair VIII Hero:

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz (F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC) CL16-19-19-39 1.35V 64GB (4 x 16 GB) (I believe this uses SK Hynix RAM?)
vs
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600Mhz (F4-3600C14D-32GTZN) CL14-15-15-35 1.45V 32GB (2 x 16 GB) (And this one uses Samsung B-Die RAM?)

Would the tighter timings and lower CAS of the latter really be all that noticeable beyond memory benchmarks? I also am guessing that the latter will be easier to dial in and/or OC on a newer Ryzen 5000 series CPU?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back