Ryzen 5 on the HardOCP Test Bench

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
There will be a late night or two around the [H] test bench this week as we have hands on with retail purchased Ryzen 5 CPUs. The Ryzen 1600 CPUs showed up today, we expect the Ryzen 1400 CPUs to show up in a day or two. We will be showing you overclocking results, but will be holding off on performance benchmarks till the official embargo date next week. Also, since we are not going to be using the hardware that AMD sent us to test, we are going to give that all away to our readers starting later this week. You can still buy Ryzen 5 at these links today. Check out the video.

Sweet! I'll be keeping an eye out for the details on the giveaway, though, I never win anything.
I look at it this way. Usually, giveaway winners generally need the stuff because they are losers in life.

At least thats my excuse for never winning :D Pretty cool giveaway though. Id sell my 6700k if I got some free shit :D

excited to see how these 6 core chips do! looking to pick one up to use for awhile and then "retire" to plex duty.

Looking forward to see how these do. Don't need to worry about the giveaway beeing in europe and all I'm probably not allowed to participate.

Would definatly help me try to create an optimized thread scheduler for Ryzen to actual have a sample to run tests on

I find it interesting that
A) AMD makes you take the cpu bracket off the motherboard... I mean, if that bracket doesn't fit the STOCK OEM cooler, WTF is it designed to fit? Also...
B) that mobo mfg's are adhesing the cpu heatsink backplate to the motherboard. It's not the worst idea, if it's like double sided 3m tape or something... but if it's serious adhesive, then how hard is it to get off to put you cooler/block of choice on?

And Kyle, Shame! Shame! No ESD bracelet? What are you teaching our youths? Meh, screw it, just touch something metal...
*that was meant as kind of comedy... I don't wear ESD at home, but I sure as hell do at work. $100 mobo vs $1000+ mobo

Nice vid .. No offense Kyle .. but I dig seeing the product and what you are actually doing over seeing somebody's mug telling me what they are about to do or always having their face in the shot taking up the screen when I just want to see the thing you are actually doing. I do have a bit of a subungual hematoma fetish, so maybe we could get a close up of that thing next time... :shifty:

A) AMD makes you take the cpu bracket off the motherboard... I mean, if that bracket doesn't fit the STOCK OEM cooler, WTF is it designed to fit? Also...
B) that mobo mfg's are adhesing the cpu heatsink backplate to the motherboard. It's not the worst idea, if it's like double sided 3m tape or something... but if it's serious adhesive, then how hard is it to get off to put you cooler/block of choice on?

And Kyle, Shame! Shame! No ESD bracelet? What are you teaching our youths? Meh, screw it, just touch something metal...
*that was meant as kind of comedy... I don't wear ESD at home, but I sure as hell do at work. $100 mobo vs $1000+ mobo

A. the stock bracket works really well with larger tower heatsinks and prefer it over intels screw mounting.. but using the screws on the stock heatsink just idiot proofs it because the spring attachments for that type of coolers with the AMD mounting sucks and a lot of people ended up bending cpu pins because it would pull the cpu out of the socket while they fumbled with it. hell even i destroyed a brand new athlon X2 4000+ because of that shit. heatsink didn't sit right so i tried to remove it but couldn't get the top hook out of the mount so it pulled the cpu out of the socket and then dropped back down and bent 4 pins so badly that when i tried to bend them back they broke off.

Kyle Kyle Kyle. How do I plug myself into the wall to get grounded. I know what you meant. ;) Funny how when a person is filming, doing a process and talking at the same time that words get mixed around. The brain doesn't multitask very well.

I'll send you my address for that reviewer kit we talked about. :)

looking forward to the test result og that new Ryzen 5 :)
Man id' like to get that full review kit (y)

Cool - nice quick refresher as well. By the time I work on my new build it'll be over seven years since my last lol.

I think those "Wraith" coolers are not stock items......so you have to remove the plastic from the motherboard.
OR.....the motherboard manufacturer wants to cover all the bases.
It's not like we dont know how to modify equipment.

I would love to win me some stuffs from AMD.......come on man.

Slowly picking up parts for my am4 build (its how I appease the wife). Just grabbed a msi x370 carbon pro.

Anyhow what I'm getting at is that I could use that r5 kit. Hopefully a sob story will improve my chances.

If not, my big toe currently looks like Kyles spotted thumb so we are clumsy kindred spirits. Dropped heavy luggage on it months ago and it still hasnt completely grown away.

Nice giveaway!
I just ordered a Corsair case for a build this fall. My older FX8120 is getting gifted to my kid. I was planning on getting a 1700 for my main system when cash is in hand and the Bios issues are worked out for the ddr4 3200 ram.

Looking forward to see how these are, I have 2 systems still using Fx 6200 and a Fx 6300.

Early reviews are starting to leak. Appear to have the same issues as Ryzen 7's - kick intels ass or competitive in everything BUT games, where the results are inconsistent again.

Really support AMD, and I think they have a design win here, but starting to think that it needs further refinement. Think I will wait 6 months to see what improvements come. And may end up waiting until the Ryzen 2 line, as I think if the issues end up being architectural, a 1 generation revision should be enough to iron it out on otherwise a very impressive architecture.

But jury is still out on that. If Ryzen can be more consistent with software updates, I may splurge sooner.

And as always, waiting on [H] for the final verdict.

So this finally 100% confirms that the R5 1600 and possibly the rest of the R5 line have the cooler without the RGB ring. Some other people on other sites kept flat out saying they would come with it. Glad to know I was right (that they did not come with the RGB ring)

Kyle, I am loving the videos! What would be really cool is if Brent jumped on the video bandwagon as well and maybe showed a few things while hes running benchmarks ect. Or some videos when you guys do a PSU tear downs and what not. Pictures are good but I love being able to watch the videos and get your live feedback while your in the moment. I dig it! Keep up the good work.

Early reviews are starting to leak. Appear to have the same issues as Ryzen 7's - kick intels ass or competitive in everything BUT games, where the results are inconsistent again.

But jury is still out on that. If Ryzen can be more consistent with software updates, I may splurge sooner.

And as always, waiting on [H] for the final verdict.

The only early review I've seen is this one for the 1400

Equal to or beating the 7400.... doing so with far less cpu utilization in most games. Not official of course but still...

Real men ground themselves with busted thumbnails?

The only early review I've seen is this one for the 1400

Equal to or beating the 7400.... doing so with far less cpu utilization in most games. Not official of course but still...

Yeah, that's the thing - its all the hacks out there right now doing reviews. Like I said, going to wait for [H]'s reviews before I make any firm judgements. Its amateur hour out there right now.

Kyle. The thumb. Jebus.

From Kyle's AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU Unboxing - CPU and Wraith Cooler Flatness video..

I was changing the water pump on my truck, and had a spring clamp locked open, when suddenly it popped close and hit me down in the nail bed. So it was actually under the skin. Finally looks like it about done thankfully. Not exactly pretty to look at

.. when zoomed and enhanced..

Kyle_finger_3.jpg

I'd love to get my hands on some new hardware, especially from a giveaway. Too bad it would be effectively useless. As you can tell by looking at my sig that I literally need to replace every single part. It really sucks not having extra cash.

Did anyone order from the antonline ebay page and have their CPU actually ship? I ordered on the 30th and received a tracking number on the 31st but nothing on the tracking actually says UPS received it from antonline yet.

I look at it this way. Usually, giveaway winners generally need the stuff because they are losers in life.

At least thats my excuse for never winning :D Pretty cool giveaway though. Id sell my 6700k if I got some free shit :D

Hey I won something before.... :/ Fuck, I'm a loser.

Looking forward to the review. I've held off upgrading since I bought my FX-4100 (still running at 4.3 GHz on air). Now that I've dug myself out of the hole my ex-wife put me in, it's going to be time to buy. :)

Did anyone order from the antonline ebay page and have their CPU actually ship? I ordered on the 30th and received a tracking number on the 31st but nothing on the tracking actually says UPS received it from antonline yet.
I just got my two 1400 CPUs. All were ordered from the links I put up.

Back