Ryzen 5 for sale showing delivery April 5

God this is tempting, but I really want to see benchmarks and overclocking on these. I have been reading these are on a different stepping?

I also wonder if these will allow higher memory speeds.....

Damn you money in my pocket damn you.

Kyle did you order any of these to test before the NDA?

Really tempting, but need to hold out for reviews. Itching to replace my x97 i5 Haswell setup, but overclock-ability of the Ryzen 5s will 100% make the decision for me as I can already do 4.2ghz stable all day on my current CPU.

Really tempting, but need to hold out for reviews. Itching to replace my x97 i5 Haswell setup, but overclock-ability of the Ryzen 5s will 100% make the decision for me as I can already do 4.2ghz stable all day on my current CPU.

In my opinion, I would not expect much if any over what we are seeing now with the R7 CPU's. The real limiting factor is the LLP 14 process these are built on but, it also makes them more than efficient and they will be very fast regardless.

I'd wait for the [H]ard review before buying but i am interested...

I wouldn't expect the 6 and 4 core models to OC any better than the 8 core models but who knows.

Damn you money in my pocket damn you.

That's the "good thing" about being broke. Just looking in the window drooling!

Why should that be the deciding factor? If the Ryzen R5 can easily outperform your i5 in key tasks for you, even if it does it at lower clock speeds, wouldn't it be a good buy?

Yep like you guys I'm waiting for the reviews first. Also have the AM4 motherboards matured yet? Memory speeds etc? Wondering if I shouldn't wait until the next round of mobos...

Anything Ryzen 5 will be an upgrade from any Piledriver product though. So there's that.

Waiting to see OC results and also the Win10 update dropping that same day (11 April)

Pretty tempted to get a R5 1600 to update my son's rig. Although he does already have a i5-6400, but I can move that over to my daughters rig to replace her older i3 setup. Just have been holding off mostly to wait a few months to let some of the wrinkles get ironed out. Tough though, I have the itch to try out new hardware.......

Pretty tempted to get a R5 1600 to update my son's rig. Although he does already have a i5-6400, but I can move that over to my daughters rig to replace her older i3 setup. Just have been holding off mostly to wait a few months to let some of the wrinkles get ironed out. Tough though, I have the itch to try out new hardware.......

Why not just get him the 1400 instead? Does he really need 12 threads?

At least you will get some real world CPUs instead of a cherry picked one.

Which makes no difference one way or the other in this case. They all pretty much overclock the same or very close to each other. Really, the biggest issue is the motherboard and ram compatibility. I like seeing all this new stuff coming out, feels like I was waiting forever. :)

The 6 cores are just defected or bin down 8 core models. Same dies thus same o/c head room. Where we could see a difference is the 4 core 8 thread chips as those should just have one die. These could be a really good bargain depending on how well they oc

The 6 cores are just defected or bin down 8 core models. Same dies thus same o/c head room. Where we could see a difference is the 4 core 8 thread chips as those should just have one die. These could be a really good bargain depending on how well they oc
No. First of all it was already tested with one CCX disabled and there was no real benefit and the 4c/8t models are 2+2 setups with 2 cores in each CCX active.

In my opinion, I would not expect much if any over what we are seeing now with the R7 CPU's. The real limiting factor is the LLP 14 process these are built on but, it also makes them more than efficient and they will be very fast regardless.

The process curently used is LPE (low power early) not LPP (low power plus) which "claims" to offer better clocks at less power by some 20 and 15% respectively vs LPE for the 14nm Samsung/GF process, not 100% sure when they are switching from LPE to LPP, maybe Ryzen 5 uses compared to Ryzen 7 now, though I doubt such seeing as LPP was highlighted for use Apple chips via Samsung.

thumbnail YT.jpg

Don't know what criteria might be for [H] Giveaway, but throw my name (or callsign) in.
Gots to build pity-box for security guard that used to patrol Zenimax, but never got to
play dum, er Doom, er whatever. Cept with the unwelcome folk milling about outside.
Could do the blind drop at Microcenter lot? Just be sure and make it look extra shady.
I have to buy all the other parts anyway...

I am likely SOL being in Canada for giveaway, but could do for a new system, barely afford day to day costs let alone buying new cpu-motherboard-memory etc :(

I imagine that Ryzen 5 will still have right around the current headroom of ~4.1Ghz, which is ok if the base speed on all cores is 3.2Ghz or thereabouts, if it clocks to 4.1Ghz that is a 28.13% gain in raw clocks especially if on all cores, might be a low overclock "limit" on Ryzen seeing as they start off at such a high frequency, but that being said it does seem pretty much all modern cpu get around that same overclock headroom all cores ~20-25% or so without suicide runs.

Don't know what criteria might be for [H] Giveaway, but throw my name (or callsign) in.
Gots to build pity-box for security guard that used to patrol Zenimax, but never got to
play dum, er Doom, er whatever. Cept with the unwelcome folk milling about outside.
Could do the blind drop at Microcenter lot? Just be sure and make it look extra shady.
I have to buy all the other parts anyway...

Er, what..?

Would like impressions on the 1400 - I've been contemplating one for my upcoming HTPC build.

Curious to see how the 1600 plays out and if there's any chance of unlocking some cores.

Kyle, the video above, did you say the Wraith Max was the 65W cooler? I thought the Wraith Max was the 125W cooler? Wraith Spire being the 95W and the Wraith Stealth being the 65W?

Kyle, the video above, did you say the Wraith Max was the 65W cooler? I thought the Wraith Max was the 125W cooler? Wraith Spire being the 95W and the Wraith Stealth being the 65W?
Yes, my mistake. Max 125 / Spired 95 / Stealth 65w.

Trouble with box stock AMD Spire and TIM is removing it later.
Either the Spire screws or ASUS backplate posts are too long.
Won't fully clear each other when you back those screws out.
therefore you cannot twist Spire to break the hold of the TIM.

I watch you pull straight up and separate uneventfully, but mine
ripped Ryzen right out of the socket! Fortunately this time, was
straight out with no damage. Rapid unscheduled disassembly
of one's brand new CPU is never a welcome feeling.

Might need to whittle a soft screwdriver blade out of a chopstick
and use that to get between the edge of the chip and sink to pry
the TIM apart. Without any leverage that pulls up on AM4.

Last edited:
I couldn't sleep so I did a quick overclock with the stock cooler to 3.85 and ran cinebench.

EDIT: upped the ram to 2933 and increased the scores a bit

Attachments

• cinebench.png
    cinebench.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • cinebench 2.png
    cinebench 2.png
    1 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back