Ryzen 5 3600 MSI b450 Tomahawk runs hot

SGardiner

n00b
My ryzen 5 3600 runs extremely hot when stress testing with Prime95.

Temperatures are approaching 95 C with stock cooler.

Anyone else seeing temperatures like this? How hot is too hot?

Don't run Prime95, it's a ridiculous tool to use that come nowhere close to real world use. It's great if you want to burn up your CPU though and have to much time on your hands. Use a program like HWinfo, running the sensors in the background while gaming to see what your highs and lows are, run a benchmark like 3Dmark, Unigine Heaven benchmark, Cinebench R15 or R20 to gauge system performance.

I'm retracting my previous comments as I think I made a mistake.

Anyway, I have the same motherboard and CPU and with the stock cooler and stock settings I would also hit 95C under prime95.

It won't hurt it as far as I'm aware, but it will cause the system to lower voltages and slow clock speeds down to the 3.6GHz stock speeds to reduce temperatures. You can watch that happen by using AMD's Ryzen Master software.

A better cooler with give better temperatures and your system will increase clocks to what it feels like are safe at whatever temperature you are getting under prime95.

Last edited:
If you're not overclocking or trying to track down stability issues then there's no real reason to stress test. You shouldn't overclock the cpu on the stock cooler and if you're overclocking the memory there is better programs for testing memory stability.

Don't run Prime95, it's a ridiculous tool to use that come nowhere close to real world use. It's great if you want to burn up your CPU though and have to much time on your hands. Use a program like HWinfo, running the sensors in the background while gaming to see what your highs and lows are, run a benchmark like 3Dmark, Unigine Heaven benchmark, Cinebench R15 or R20 to gauge system performance.

Prime95 is a great stress testing tool for overclocking, especially if you know how to configure it to stress certain things. It also won't damage hardware in any meaningful way unless you manually set voltages too high, within allowed tolerances heat kills extremely slowly and a few minutes or even hours off of a several year continuous use lifespan isn't worth worrying about IMO.

That said if they're not overclocking the cpu or having stability issues then there's no real reason to run it and high temps with the stock cooler should be expected.

I'm retracting my previous comments as I think I made a mistake.

Anyway, I have the same motherboard and CPU and with the stock cooler and stock settings I would also hit 95C under prime95.

It won't hurt it as far as I'm aware, but it will cause the system to lower voltages and slow clock speeds down to the 3.6GHz stock speeds to reduce temperatures. You can watch that happen by using AMD's Ryzen Master software.

A better cooler with give better temperatures and your system will increase clocks to what it feels like are safe at whatever temperature you are getting under prime95.

Hi Gorilla, Are you able to run with your XMP profile enabled? I am getting random reboots.

Hi Gorilla, Are you able to run with your XMP profile enabled? I am getting random reboots.

Yeah, no problems running XMP for me. It did set the memory voltage to 1.36 instead of 1.35, but that was simple enough to change. It seems like so far MSI motherboards using Zen 2 CPUs are very picky about RAM. I'm using G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVK.

My 3600 is heating the living room. Which i don't need in texas. This is with a corsair h100i.the cpu is sitting at 4ghz.

Be nice if Ryzen Maste
Yeah, no problems running XMP for me. It did set the memory voltage to 1.36 instead of 1.35, but that was simple enough to change. It seems like so far MSI motherboards using Zen 2 CPUs are very picky about RAM. I'm using G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVK.

They have the most comprehensive qvl for x570.

I just dropped a 360mm aio onto a 3600x on an Asus PRO WS X570-Ace and I'm seeing 92C in Prime95 Small FFTs as well. IIRC my previous system, a 1600X with a 240mm NZXT AIO, would usually hit around 80C.

This 3600X also tends to idle around 40C with spikes to 45. I don't know if I got a bad chip or what. It also won't turbo past 4225MHz, even single-core. (It's so early in Zen 2's lifetime I don't know if it's the chip, the motherboard, the BIOS, etc. I'm using the stock TIM that came preapplied with the cooler.

Just ran Cinebench R15 with HWinfo as someone up above suggested and I saw 78C max, and boosting up as high as 42.8 or 43.0, which Ryzen Master never shows. Weird. (Using Ryzen Master and running the same test, it hit an all-core peak of 4100MHz. I'm not using the latest HWInfo, but it's one that was downloaded after 7/7.

I just dropped a 360mm aio onto a 3600x on an Asus PRO WS X570-Ace and I'm seeing 92C in Prime95 Small FFTs as well. IIRC my previous system, a 1600X with a 240mm NZXT AIO, would usually hit around 80C.

This 3600X also tends to idle around 40C with spikes to 45. I don't know if I got a bad chip or what. It also won't turbo past 4225MHz, even single-core. (It's so early in Zen 2's lifetime I don't know if it's the chip, the motherboard, the BIOS, etc. I'm using the stock TIM that came preapplied with the cooler.

So I discovered the other day that by tightening the bottom right screw all the way down on my water block while leaving the other screws less tight my temperatures in Prime95 smallest FFTs dropped from around 95C to around 76C. It could have been that I just didn't tighten it enough the first time around, but I've been looking at the bare 3600 die and it kind of makes sense. There is a chiplet in the corner so it might be that making better contact with that corner helps with temperatures. Who knows if this applies across all heatsinks and waterblocks or not.

amLMvzh.png

The H150i uses a slightly weird mounting system--it's based on those goofy plastic rails with "horns" that come with the motherboard. You slip a metal plate over the pump head. It has two holes for thumbscrews that attach to these little spade things with holes in them--you fit the holes of the spades over the horns of the plastic rails, then tighten the thumbscrews. In effect it's kind of like the way a Hyper 212 works, or the stock Wraith coolers. I can see if they can be tightened a bit more.

What's the consensus on using the paste pre-applied to AIOs? Should I have taken that off and done it myself or is it good enough (I have some AS-5 and Artic MX-4).

The H150i uses a slightly weird mounting system--it's based on those goofy plastic rails with "horns" that come with the motherboard. You slip a metal plate over the pump head. It has two holes for thumbscrews that attach to these little spade things with holes in them--you fit the holes of the spades over the horns of the plastic rails, then tighten the thumbscrews. In effect it's kind of like the way a Hyper 212 works, or the stock Wraith coolers. I can see if they can be tightened a bit more.

What's the consensus on using the paste pre-applied to AIOs? Should I have taken that off and done it myself or is it good enough (I have some AS-5 and Artic MX-4).
In the case of Corsair, their thermal grease is good enough. But if you want to, you could potentially do 3-4c better, with something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Coolermaster Mastermaker Nano, Thermalright TF8, Gelid GC Extreme, etc.

So I discovered the other day that by tightening the bottom right screw all the way down on my water block while leaving the other screws less tight my temperatures in Prime95 smallest FFTs dropped from around 95C to around 76C. It could have been that I just didn't tighten it enough the first time around, but I've been looking at the bare 3600 die and it kind of makes sense. There is a chiplet in the corner so it might be that making better contact with that corner helps with temperatures. Who knows if this applies across all heatsinks and waterblocks or not.

View attachment 176967
Sounds like the block and CPU IHS aren't mating well. Sanding them level would probably help.

Back