Ryzen 5 3600 fan getting louder

cardboardbox

Weaksauce
Last December I built a new pc and decided on AMD. Coming from an Intel 4790 it was a surprise to hear the cpu fan spinning up and down all the time. The 4790's fan only got noticeable when playing a game, or using handbrake, etc. And even then it wasn't annoying. Anyway, I got used to the fan noise, did some BIOS tweaks, made a "Quiet" power plan... everything is pretty good. Then a week or two ago I started hearing the fan noise again, every time I open anything that fan spins up because my cpu temp spikes around 10C. Right now I'm at 41C with 5% CPU in task manager. Open Mail and it goes to 50C.

This is my HSF: https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-gammaxx-gte/p/N82E16835856117?Item=N82E16835856117

Is this normal? Assuming I'm not going crazy, what could cause the higher temps and increased fan noise? Bad fan? Bad thermal paste? I'm about to open the case and redo the paste but I'm not very confident its going to help. I've used the same paste on every build for many years and all the other pc's I have aren't getting louder.

Last December I built a new pc and decided on AMD. Coming from an Intel 4790 it was a surprise to hear the cpu fan spinning up and down all the time. The 4790's fan only got noticeable when playing a game, or using handbrake, etc. And even then it wasn't annoying. Anyway, I got used to the fan noise, did some BIOS tweaks, made a "Quiet" power plan... everything is pretty good. Then a week or two ago I started hearing the fan noise again, every time I open anything that fan spins up because my cpu temp spikes around 10C. Right now I'm at 41C with 5% CPU in task manager. Open Mail and it goes to 50C.

This is my HSF: https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-gammaxx-gte/p/N82E16835856117?Item=N82E16835856117

Is this normal? Assuming I'm not going crazy, what could cause the higher temps and increased fan noise? Bad fan? Bad thermal paste? I'm about to open the case and redo the paste but I'm not very confident its going to help. I've used the same paste on every build for many years and all the other pc's I have aren't getting louder.

Read up on how Ryzen cpu switches powerstates in 1ms. This obviously means cores are ramping up and down insanely fast. Then combine this with one cpu temp sensor that shows all this crazy fast switching then you get the effects you are seeing. The temp you want to monitor is actually average die temp, but instead you're forced to monitor the combined cpu temp sensor which shows imo everything but average die temp. After this primer, the work around is to either raise your fan profile, or imo a better way is to raise the delay in fan spin up so that the delay is longer than the temp spikes. Your board may be running with 0ms delay default, so try raising it up till you see improvement.

Thanks for all the replies... Turns out that my BIOS settings changed somehow and the CPU fan spin up and down speeds had reverted back to their defaults of 0.1s each. I changed spin up back to 0.7s and spin down back to 1.0s I think everything is back to normal now. I did try to update my BIOS last week but my motherboard couldnt find the update file on my flash drive so I gave up. Maybe it loaded default settings at that time.

Read up on how Ryzen cpu switches powerstates in 1ms. This obviously means cores are ramping up and down insanely fast. Then combine this with one cpu temp sensor that shows all this crazy fast switching then you get the effects you are seeing. The temp you want to monitor is actually average die temp, but instead you're forced to monitor the combined cpu temp sensor which shows imo everything but average die temp. After this primer, the work around is to either raise your fan profile, or imo a better way is to raise the delay in fan spin up so that the delay is longer than the temp spikes. Your board may be running with 0ms delay default, so try raising it up till you see improvement.
thanks for the idea! I started reading your message thinking "I know this already" but I went in there anyway, mainly to tinker with the fan profile and thats when I noticed everything was back to default settings.

Last edited:
After a little more testing I still think something isnt right. I hear less fan spin up/down but its still blowing louder than it was a couple weeks ago. I might wait for cooler temps before redoing the paste just to make sure its not a slight increase in ambient temps thats causing the extra noise.

whats your ambient temp? did it happen to go up the same amount your cpu temp went up? pretty easy to figure out...

well thats 26-27c and normal ambient is like 20ish. so has it(cpu) gone up about 6-7c?
edit: if youre idling at 41c now, sub 6c is 35c. if it used to be around there then everything is normal and its just the ambient increase. unless you have ac and keep it at ~26 year round, which would be odd...
edit 2: my place is ~25c right now and with my 240 aio im idling at ~30c. yours seems like its fine to me.

Last edited:
Probably more processes running within windows from additional software installs .:) I noticed it as well with every app is more overhead but don't worry the extra cores will manage it just fine with heat as the byproduct.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
well thats 26-27c and normal ambient is like 20ish. so has it(cpu) gone up about 6-7c?
edit: if youre idling at 41c now, sub 6c is 35c. if it used to be around there then everything is normal and its just the ambient increase. unless you have ac and keep it at ~26 year round, which would be odd...
edit 2: my place is ~25c right now and with my 240 aio im idling at ~30c. yours seems like its fine to me.
I dont know if the cpu temp has gone up much, its not something I check normally. I only check when the noise annoys me. :)

Today I dragged my tower out of its really cramped corner. There's no way to describe how tight it is in there and how nearly impossible it is to plug in everything on the back again, just trust me, its a lot of work. I cleaned up some dust on the HS and everywhere, and swapped out the cpu fan with another fan I used for many years that was in my closet. Its quieter now and the fan spins at lower RPM's. I'm probably 2 or 3 degrees C lower than with the previous fan, about 100 - 150 RPM lower, and overall noise is lower. Although I think the fan is getting old, its still better than the other one I was using. They are both Deep Cool branded fans but I guess the old one is a higher quality fan.

I only wish I had cleaned the HS even better. I used a hair dryer on one side and a vacuum cleaner on the other side.

Last edited:
Back