Ryzen 5 2600 high idle temps and temp spikes

A quick update: I got an advice from uncle Astro who is a member on another forum to offset the CPU voltage by 0.09 for starters and I'm seeing lowered temperatures without a loss in performance. The sudden spikes in temperature also stopped.
He told me to continue trying to lower it further by testing in Cinebench until I find a point that works without losing performance.
So lowering the voltage FINALLY did something to solve or at least alleviate my problem and for the first time I'm seeing temps below 50C :)

Annotation 2020-06-29 154034.png

A quick update: I got an advice from uncle Astro who is a member on another forum to offset the CPU voltage by 0.09 for starters and I'm seeing lowered temperatures without a loss in performance. The sudden spikes in temperature also stopped.
He told me to continue trying to lower it further by testing in Cinebench until I find a point that works without losing performance.
So lowering the voltage FINALLY did something to solve or at least alleviate my problem and for the first time I'm seeing temps below 50C :)

View attachment 257393

Have you already done a CPU HSF removal, clean & re-compound? I honestly think it might be what others have discovered and that's that it's the mobo.

View attachment 257393

just make sure you check your clock speeds under load as you offset the voltage because it'll lower your boost clocks to compensate for the lower voltage.

View attachment 257393
i was going to suggest that offset but your voltages already seemed way low compared to mine. at least it helped a bit.

Have you already done a CPU HSF removal, clean & re-compound? I honestly think it might be what others have discovered and that's that it's the mobo.

Yes I've done all that. What do you mean "it's the mobo"? Like defective or something, or just a crappy model?

just make sure you check your clock speeds under load as you offset the voltage because it'll lower your boost clocks to compensate for the lower voltage.

Just ran Cinebench, the clocks never went higher than 3.4 GHz.

i was going to suggest that offset but your voltages already seemed way low compared to mine. at least it helped a bit.

I wonder how much more I can push it before I start to notice a significant drop in performance? I got a score of 2658 in Cinebench.

Yes I've done all that. What do you mean "it's the mobo"? Like defective or something, or just a crappy model?

Just ran Cinebench, the clocks never went higher than 3.4 GHz.

I wonder how much more I can push it before I start to notice a significant drop in performance? I got a score of 2658 in Cinebench.
honestly probably not much. that cinebench thing might be normal. my chip doesnt go above 3900 in it but runs everything else at 4250. i just use pbo btw. try running a game and see if your clocks go higher.

honestly probably not much. that cinebench thing might be normal. my chip doesnt go above 3900 in it but runs everything else at 4250. i just use pbo btw. try running a game and see if your clocks go higher.

Played a little bit of GTA 5 as that's the only game I have installed atm.. Went up to 3.5. I'll try to increase the offset to about 0.125 to get just a little bit of temperature improvement.
It's weird that a brand new machine doesn't work properly out of the box and I have to do all these things just to get normal temps, but that's the only thing I can do atm. I regret getting this board.

Played a little bit of GTA 5 as that's the only game I have installed atm.. Went up to 3.5. I'll try to increase the offset to about 0.125 to get just a little bit of temperature improvement.
It's weird that a brand new machine doesn't work properly out of the box and I have to do all these things just to get normal temps, but that's the only thing I can do atm. I regret getting this board.
it is working "out of box" though. its just not at a temp that you/we like or are used to. technically it is all within amd spec.

It's working just fine, just as it's designed to do. The issue is the low end stock cooler. It does not work well enough to run lower temps, especially under load and doubly so for high thread-count tasks.

There's a reason I don't run with a voltage offset on my 2600x. It kills boost clocks for me. Even with a small offset I see noticeably lower boost clocks in any type of workload. Without the offset I rarely see lower than 4Ghz boost clocks even with a full 12 thread workload such as distributed computing. If I'm not running a DC project and a relatively low thread workload the boost clock is usually in the 4.15-4.25Ghz range. It would not do this when I was running the Wraith Spire cooler and the Wraith Spire is a better cooler than your Wraith Stealth. With the Wraith Spire I would rarely go above 4Ghz and all core loads would be around 3.8Ghz.

A cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with push/pull fan setup netted me a 200mhz clock speed increase in light and heavy workloads. The only actual "work" you need to do is replace the stock cooler with something better.

It's working just fine, just as it's designed to do. The issue is the low end stock cooler. It does not work well enough to run lower temps, especially under load and doubly so for high thread-count tasks.

There's a reason I don't run with a voltage offset on my 2600x. It kills boost clocks for me. Even with a small offset I see noticeably lower boost clocks in any type of workload. Without the offset I rarely see lower than 4Ghz boost clocks even with a full 12 thread workload such as distributed computing. If I'm not running a DC project and a relatively low thread workload the boost clock is usually in the 4.15-4.25Ghz range. It would not do this when I was running the Wraith Spire cooler and the Wraith Spire is a better cooler than your Wraith Stealth. With the Wraith Spire I would rarely go above 4Ghz and all core loads would be around 3.8Ghz.

A cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with push/pull fan setup netted me a 200mhz clock speed increase in light and heavy workloads. The only actual "work" you need to do is replace the stock cooler with something better.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am looking into getting a new cooler in a few weeks.
I was looking at a couple of tower coolers, but since then I have been advised to get a top down cooler instead because of the fact that my board (ASUS PRIME B450M-A) doesn't have a heatsink over the VRM section. Also my NVMe SSD which is directly below the CPU tends to get a little hotter. So now I'm thinking of getting the MasterAir G100M. I heard good things about it so it will hopefully improve things :)

i have a 2600@4ghz idles at 1.3375v and under full load 1.30v
asus prime b450m-a and use a aio cooler from corsair H60. runs silent,cool,65C or less.The NVMe idles @40C and 62C in use.May want to look at something similar. the vrm's i guess are all right there are no stability problems. i let the bios control voltages and from there i configure fan speeds.

btw the stock coolers are junk. you can blow on the cpu and do better

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am looking into getting a new cooler in a few weeks.
I was looking at a couple of tower coolers, but since then I have been advised to get a top down cooler instead because of the fact that my board (ASUS PRIME B450M-A) doesn't have a heatsink over the VRM section. Also my NVMe SSD which is directly below the CPU tends to get a little hotter. So now I'm thinking of getting the MasterAir G100M. I heard good things about it so it will hopefully improve things :)

Are you running OCs daily? Your VRMs won't cause any problems as long as they're under spec thermals. Also, NAND performs better when it's a little warm anyway so I wouldn't worry about that. Just buy a Hyper 212 Evo, they're stupidly good coolers for the money.

btw the stock coolers are junk. you can blow on the cpu and do better

Lol yeah I've heard that a lot over the past few days :D

Are you running OCs daily? Your VRMs won't cause any problems as long as they're under spec thermals. Also, NAND performs better when it's a little warm anyway so I wouldn't worry about that. Just buy a Hyper 212 Evo, they're stupidly good coolers for the money.

Yeah definitely not running OCs daily. Alright then, I won't overthink it, I'll just get the Evo or something similar and be done with it.

Did you end up buying a new cooler? I need a new one for my 2600
If you hate the downdraft cooler, just spend $32 on a Hyper 212 Black Edition. For the most part, all the problems from the OG hyper 212 were fixed. If you want, price match it at a big box store.

nE0n1nja Ok, its been awhile since I've wrote on here but here goes. First, there is nothing wrong with your CPU or Motherboard. Temps are on par for the stock cooler. The only reason you are not dropping below 2500ish mhz is because your on the Ryzen power plan which DOESN'T drop below that even though you change the minimum processor state to 5%. Switch to the BALANCED plan and make sure the minimum Processor state is set to 5%. after that it should drop to 1500mhz as long as C-state and C&Q are on if the options are there. Sometimes the option for C&Q disappears when you Overclock depending on the Mobo. Secondly, if you change the offset of your voltage it also turns C-state and C&Q off. ALSO make sure your PBO is OFF to verify if your CPU drops speed when its supposed to. Once you get that working you can try and turn it back on to see if it will continue working. I know there's a lot of info here so I will bullet point it for you.

1: There is nothing wrong with your TEMP for a STOCK non-overclocked system using the STOCK cooler.

SETTINGS FOR PROPER CPU STEP DOWN:
1: CPU = AUTO
2: CPU VOLTAGE = Auto
3: PBO = off
4: C-STATE = on
5: C&Q = on IF available
6: POWER PLAN = balanced (with minimum set to 5%)

Let me know how it goes.

nE0n1nja Ok, its been awhile since I've wrote on here but here goes. First, there is nothing wrong with your CPU or Motherboard. Temps are on par for the stock cooler. The only reason you are not dropping below 2500ish mhz is because your on the Ryzen power plan which DOESN'T drop below that even though you change the minimum processor state to 5%. Switch to the BALANCED plan and make sure the minimum Processor state is set to 5%. after that it should drop to 1500mhz as long as C-state and C&Q are on if the options are there. Sometimes the option for C&Q disappears when you Overclock depending on the Mobo. Secondly, if you change the offset of your voltage it also turns C-state and C&Q off. ALSO make sure your PBO is OFF to verify if your CPU drops speed when its supposed to. Once you get that working you can try and turn it back on to see if it will continue working. I know there's a lot of info here so I will bullet point it for you.

1: There is nothing wrong with your TEMP for a STOCK non-overclocked system using the STOCK cooler.

SETTINGS FOR PROPER CPU STEP DOWN:
1: CPU = AUTO
2: CPU VOLTAGE = Auto
3: PBO = off
4: C-STATE = on
5: C&Q = on IF available
6: POWER PLAN = balanced (with minimum set to 5%)

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks a lot! As I said I'm still on the road but I'll try this as soon as I get home and I'll report back asap.

Thanks a lot! As I said I'm still on the road but I'll try this as soon as I get home and I'll report back asap.

That's for stock speed . Once you change the CPU ratio above stock then things might change slightly but if you have any issues just let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Back