Ryzen 5 1600 vs i5 4670K benchmark

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone know of a benchmark which directly compares the i5 4670K with the Ryzen 5 1600 and 1600X? Particularly one that shows game performance. Thinking of upgrading but I want to be sure I won't be getting less performance in games. Some of the games I play (ArmA 3, DCS) are very IPC dependent and don't use multiple cores. Same or slightly better performance may consider me to upgrade to the 1600/1600X, largely for the socket and new SSD types I can use.

Also, if I were to go with Ryzen, what RAM is recommended? I am okay with getting only 8GB for the time being as prices are high right now. I'd get a popular 8GB kit and buy another kit 8 or so months down the road when prices come back down.

I didn't seem to find a 4690k benched against a 1600/X.
The 6600k isn't much different than your 4690k.
But I did find something close;
I would recommend this kit for your RAM needs.

http://www.toptengamer.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-intel-i5-cpu/

Ryzen-5-1600x-vs-Intel-Core-i5-DX-12-RX-480-Average-FPS.jpg

Ryzen-5-1600x-vs-Intel-Core-i5-DX-12-RX-480-Minimum-FPS.jpg

Ryzen-5-1600x-vs-i5-7600k-DX11-Gaming-Benchmark-Average-FPS.jpg

Ryzen-5-1600x-vs-i5-7600k-DX11-Gaming-Benchmark-Minimum-FPS.jpg

Last edited:
I would disagree with the ram recommendations above, but then again you want more than 8GB it appears, I think I would steer past Ryzen for your needs. I see this revision of Ryzen as more of a toy to play with, 32GB ram doesn't clock high, and Ryzen likes fast RAM period. I mean maybe by the time ram comes down things will be better, but as of now, I would agree with Kyle's statement of buying a 7600K or 7700K if you're purely gaming.

I would disagree with the ram recommendations above, but then again you want more than 8GB it appears, I think I would steer past Ryzen for your needs. I see this revision of Ryzen as more of a toy to play with, 32GB ram doesn't clock high, and Ryzen likes fast RAM period. I mean maybe by the time ram comes down things will be better, but as of now, I would agree with Kyle's statement of buying a 7600K or 7700K if you're purely gaming.

What RAM would you recommend that is a 8Gb kit(which is what the OP wants) and that is guaranteed to run out of the box @ rated speeds on AM4?
Sure he could run a single stick, but lose dual channel in doing so, If it was me, I would look for a cheap 4770k or 4790k an OC the snot out of it.
But all he wanted was benches.

I wouldn't bother with OCing the RAM, mainly looking for stability. If faster RAM is required to get the performance up to pay with Ryzen then I will certainly consider it as long as the price doesn't jump too high. In the past I have gone with the "standard speed" with "acceptable" CAS latency and been done with it because it never seemed to make a difference, aside from maybe high end CPU OCing which I won't be doing.

The 8GB would just be temporary until the prices come down and I can (hopefully) grab an identical 8GB kit to get a full 16GB.

I have been digging around, depending on what forum you browse you will get different answers, also depending on what board you will be using, you will also get different answers, however I wouldn't use 4 DIMMS.
MzsmcMa.png

You can pick those Corsair LPX sticks up for $129 atm.

I wouldn't bother with OCing the RAM, mainly looking for stability. If faster RAM is required to get the performance up to pay with Ryzen then I will certainly consider it as long as the price doesn't jump too high. In the past I have gone with the "standard speed" with "acceptable" CAS latency and been done with it because it never seemed to make a difference, aside from maybe high end CPU OCing which I won't be doing.

The 8GB would just be temporary until the prices come down and I can (hopefully) grab an identical 8GB kit to get a full 16GB.

the 2x8GB 3000mhz rams not to badly priced right now, 3200 and up the price jumps pretty massively. but yeah i agree with what has already been said don't bother with 4 dimms of ram due to the current limitations of ryzen. if all you're doing is gaming i'd lean more toward the intel option, if you do any production based stuff where the 12 threads becomes useful then ryzen's definitely the way to go for the price.

Does anyone know of a benchmark which directly compares the i5 4670K with the Ryzen 5 1600 and 1600X? Particularly one that shows game performance. Thinking of upgrading but I want to be sure I won't be getting less performance in games. Some of the games I play (ArmA 3, DCS) are very IPC dependent and don't use multiple cores. Same or slightly better performance may consider me to upgrade to the 1600/1600X, largely for the socket and new SSD types I can use.

Also, if I were to go with Ryzen, what RAM is recommended? I am okay with getting only 8GB for the time being as prices are high right now. I'd get a popular 8GB kit and buy another kit 8 or so months down the road when prices come back down.

I'd go 7700k or 7600k for your needs. Unless you're doing livestreaming and/or multithreaded workloads, the Intel quads will be a better value. You likely won't give up any gaming performance, though. The graphs vs. the 6600k show near parity, and the 4670k will be somewhat slower. So you will probably come out even or get a couple extra fps out of the Ryzen 1600X. Just not worth it for the money, IMHO, when you can get a lot more out of a 7700k or 7600k.

I was not implying that the OP go with 4 DIMMs, 2 for now till he gets the cash for a 2x8Gb kit, then fleabay, or the FS forum to offload the 2x4Gb kit, either way I thought he was trying to save a few bucks going the 8Gb route.
Being as I'm not sure what his clocks are on his 4670k, a cheap 4770k or 4790k clocked @ 4.7-4.8GHz would surely be cheaper than a full platform upgrade.

But if the OP is wanting extreme single threaded IPC and NVMe, than a 7700K is the correct choice to make.
And I for one would not put anything less than 16Gb on any build today meant for gaming, not when I'm seeing 10-12Gb usage in some games like ME:A and BDO.

It's not a 1600X or a 4670k, but it is ArmaA w/ R5 4c8t vs i5 4c4t.

I'm in for $445 for a 1600 build, I will report back on my findings. I guess I need to bench some things with my 4670K if I have time/effort/energy...

I see no reason to jump off my 4670K ship right now. At 4.6 Ghz it does everything I throw at it. Even being almost 4 years old. I do have the itch to upgrade, and have been "playing" with my wife's 1800x build.

I'm in for $445 for a 1600 build, I will report back on my findings. I guess I need to bench some things with my 4670K if I have time/effort/energy...

Would appreciate some basic benchmarks. Preferably at actual in game settings that you'd play it (high/ultra, high resolution). I'm running 1440P now and my understanding is CPU gains/drops will be less noticeable at this resolution.

I see no reason to jump off my 4670K ship right now. At 4.6 Ghz it does everything I throw at it. Even being almost 4 years old. I do have the itch to upgrade, and have been "playing" with my wife's 1800x build.
Have you tried playing Watchdogs 2? You should see a night and day difference between your 1800x and 4670k.. Whenever I alt-tab my CPU is pegged and I get a nice slide show. I understand its still capable but I am now feeling the crunch that dual cores felt when quad's first came out..
Would appreciate some basic benchmarks. Preferably at actual in game settings that you'd play it (high/ultra, high resolution). I'm running 1440P now and my understanding is CPU gains/drops will be less noticeable at this resolution.
That is what I plan on doing, GTA V, Watchdogs 2, BF1 etc.

I can't get 3200mhz out of the ram like the CPU-Z above, the best I am at with the same motherboard and ram is 2933, 14-16-16-34.
upload_2017-4-23_16-28-58.png

I don't understand why people who are buying a Ryzen CPU today are not buying Flare X 3200MHz kits, sure they may cost more than other kits, but at least your guaranteed 3200MHz out of the box. No muss no fuss. Especially if your only going 16Gb.

I don't understand why people who are buying a Ryzen CPU today are not buying Flare X 3200MHz kits, sure they may cost more than other kits, but at least your guaranteed 3200MHz out of the box. No muss no fuss. Especially if your only going 16Gb.
An extra $60 for 200mhz with essentially the same timing, is not justifiable... If I was going to go willy nilly with my rig, it wouldn't have a Ryzen CPU, it would have had a 7700K and be thrown in the trash next year...

An extra $60 for 200mhz with essentially the same timing, is not justifiable... If I was going to go willy nilly with my rig, it wouldn't haven a Ryzen CPU, it would have had a 7700K and be thrown in the trash next year...

Then why are you bitching that you cant do 3200MHz? You already seem to know why it won't, because $60 more is considered extravagant spending for your build?
You should of known buying anything but the Flare X was going to be a crapshoot trying to get to 3200MHz, plenty of people have already tried it for you and failed.
If I wasn't going all "willy nilly" on a build, I would of gotten some 2133 or 2400 and called it a day, but you "splurged" and got a Corsair 3200Mhz kit thinking you could beat the odds and lost. So once again why are you complaining?

If I come off sounding like a dick I apologize, I just assumed you were versed in Ryzen RAM rhetoric, and if the speed you were aiming for was 3200MHz, then Flare X was the RAM to get regardless of cost.

Then why are you bitching that you cant do 3200MHz? You already seem to know why it won't, because $60 more is considered extravagant spending for your build?
You should of known buying anything but the Flare X was going to be a crapshoot trying to get to 3200MHz, plenty of people have already tried it for you and failed.
If I wasn't going all "willy nilly" on a build, I would of gotten some 2133 or 2400 and called it a day, but you "splurged" and got a Corsair 3200Mhz kit thinking you could beat the odds and lost. So once again why are you complaining?

If I come off sounding like a dick I apologize, I just assumed you were versed in Ryzen RAM rhetoric, and if the speed you were aiming for was 3200MHz, then Flare X was the RAM to get regardless of cost.

I got the ram on sale, excuse me for not being as great of a human being as you are.

Someone had made reference to a RAM boot voltage switch in the BIOS which may be important. Now I can't find it.

I think the latest bios broke things as the same ram/board is capable of 3200mhz, as you can see above.

Yes, but if you look at the steps it takes to get the ram up to that speed, you probably didn't do them, so I doubt it's the bios. A lot the experimentation has involved changing one thing at a time in the ram settings, rebooting etc. ad nauseum to get it to work at high speeds as it has to do with memory training and how it treats it on subsequent boots. You can find some guides on the asus forums where some guys have gotten 32 and 64gb kits working at 3000 and a little higher but the time and settings they went through to do it were crazy. Time you could spend, you know, actually doing stuff with the comptuer. I would just wait for another bios revision or two, that 200mhz won't show up in anything but a synthetic benchmark, your eyeballs won't be able to tell anything.

I'm stuck at 2667 on my lpx 3000, so I'm in the same boat, but the reality of it is that a: it's a minuscule difference and b: it'll eventually be fixed via bios updates. I, like you, wasn't going to pay out the ass for ram to get some higher synthetic benchmarks. I'm mostly gpu limited in vr anyway, so that money is better put towards a video card, or some new games, or for me, some touch controllers to go along with my oculus (which is what I spent the extra I saved on the build).

For those looking for specifics on 4670k vs 1600, I didn't personally go into nerd detail and do a break down for performance, I have a few clips I recorded on my 4670k. This spreadsheet for a 4770k vs 1600 can prove quite useful, as it was found on overclockers.net.

For single threaded items it really is a side grade, however, it was nice Alt-Tabbing out of Watch Dogs 2, and not having my PC want to die on me, I'm stuck at 3.9Ghz on my 1600, just under 80c load on Prime95.

Nice sheet. Looks like the 1600 is absolutely killing it, at least in multi-threaded professional apps.

I used those figures above and added my X5650 @ 4.0ghz for comparison sakes in case anyone wanted to see how the 1366 platform stacks up. (Minus handbrake and Timespy)

Attachments

• comparison cpu.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 141
I used those figures above and added my X5650 @ 4.0ghz for comparison sakes in case anyone wanted to see how the 1366 platform stacks up. (Minus handbrake and Timespy)

Wow. This sucker is still so relevant! It's funny, about 6 months ago I picked up a "broken" X58 computer for 80 bucks on craigslist (super dusty CPU cooler, fixed in 10 minutes), threw in an X5660 and now I'm triple booting Linux, Win10 and MacOS. Each on a separate SSD's. Sorry, off topic, but just thought I'd share.

Resurrecting an old thread, the Google drive document isn't showing for me. I have a 4670k OC'd to 4.2mhz how would this compare for mostly gaming (FPS, RTS, MMO and MOBA) vs a 1600 or 1700 overclocked to 3.9-4.0?

Back