Given the budget constraints, and the requirement of only for gaming, wouldn't an i5 7600K and a GTX 1080 be a wiser choice?

Given the budget constraints, and the requirement of only for gaming, wouldn't an i5 7600K and a GTX 1080 be a wiser choice?
No

6 cores and longer lasting chipset in AM4 wins for the long haul.

He has a 60hz display.

longer lasting chipset in AM4

Logical Error

Simply using AMD's history of dragging out chip interfaces doesn't mean a current-gen board will be compatible with/upgradable to future chips, even with the same pinouts.
Because that compatibility isn't up to AMD. It's up to the board manufacturer.

Additionally, buying with the intention of "sticking an even better chip in later" is much akin to "I'll eventually go SLI". In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, it happens FAR less often.

The best plan is to get the best system you can NOW. And don't worry about "future proofing", since there's no such thing.

Honestly, the Intel platform is simply better for this. It's not like a driver update is MAGICALLY going to make the Ryzen start outperforming the i7 7700K. Sure, newer games MAY eventually use some of the new tech like Vulkan/DX to optimize for high-number multicore. But, buying a system HOPING that happens within your system's lifetime is DUMB (with a capital "what were you thinking?")

Well we'll simply have to disagree

My dad has an old AM2+/AM3 motherboard. He upgraded from an old dual core to a tri-core years later and can do a four core still yet if needed.

There is no performance upgrade to be had with a 60hz monitor with a 7700 or 7600k vs a 1600x on any game with a 1080.

Yet, there is more potential for a longer lasting setup with the AMD AM4 than 1151. There is no doubt here.

Take a look at the performance update with more cores that came out for the newest Tomb Raider.
Logical Error

Simply using AMD's history of dragging out chip interfaces doesn't mean a current-gen board will be compatible with/upgradable to future chips, even with the same pinouts.
Because that compatibility isn't up to AMD. It's up to the board manufacturer.

Additionally, buying with the intention of "sticking an even better chip in later" is much akin to "I'll eventually go SLI". In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, it happens FAR less often.

The best plan is to get the best system you can NOW. And don't worry about "future proofing", since there's no such thing.

Honestly, the Intel platform is simply better for this. It's not like a driver update is MAGICALLY going to make the Ryzen start outperforming the i7 7700K. Sure, newer games MAY eventually use some of the new tech like Vulkan/DX to optimize for high-number multicore. But, buying a system HOPING that happens within your system's lifetime is DUMB (with a capital "what were you thinking?")

This is actually pretty easy I believe. The Ryzen 1600 and 1080.

Why Do I say its easy?

They both have clear upgrade paths. GPU's are plug and play. Just buy a new one when you need it.

The AM4 platform is also plug n play. Until 2019 at least your board should support new processor releases.

The platform will be perfectly great now, and easily up gradable on both sides in the future.

In addition to everything that was already said on the Ryzen/1080 pair, you'll overpay for a 1070 if you can even find one whereas the 1080s haven't been gouged due to their inability to be good mining cards (1080 ti being different).

Simple...get the fastest CPU...you will upgrade the GPU before the CPU needs an upgrade...not rocket science.

not wanting to upgrade for 6-7 years, then I would also rather wait till next year with the build when fresh gpus hit the market.

Why? Please explain.
I find that Ryzen is inconsistent in performance. Sometimes it looks brilliant, but sometimes it falls short even in productivity that supports multithreading against lesser Intel cores. The Anandtech Skylake X review pretty much confirms that assessment. Hoping Zen 2 can fix that along with having much higher overclocking headroom.

EaUB8IY.png

Who looks at that and thinks, "Yeah that seems right"? The new mesh can't be THAT bad. ~17% clock disparity + IPC advantage for skl-x yet they perform the same, 30 games averaged and they end up with identical mins and <1% variance in average framerate. At the very least it raises some questions.

As for OP I'd go for the 1600+1080.

Last edited:
I personally would probably go with a 1700 and a 1070. The 1700 gives you 8 cores that can be overclocked to give similar gaming performance to a 1600. Having 8 cores would be very nice if you ever do decide to do anything other than gaming (you can stream or do some video work for example with a 1700). Pair that with a 1070 for the most capability now. Gamers Nexus recommends the 1700 over the i7-7700k for streaming if that interests you at all.

My reasoning is that video cards tend to get ~30% more powerful per year at the same price (for example 780 ti = 970 = 1060 6 gb roughly) . Because of this, I feel that it makes sense to buy a GPU that matches your current use scenario. No need to overpay now for power you won't use until later. I find I usually change GPUs several times before I change out my motherboard, RAM, and CPU.

Edit: I'm on an Intel CPU atm but I've recently used a 1060, 1070, 1080, and 1080 Ti. If you aren't playing the most demanding games, I might even recommend going with a 1060 6gb. I was able to get 60 fps on games like the Witcher 3, Tomb Raider etc. Games like Watch Dogs 2 would only get like 45 ish at 1080p. If you want everything to hit at least 60 fps at 1080p, you should find that a 1070 will work well.

Last edited:
Why? Please explain.

Coffee lake will have 6 core top end i7's rather than just 4C now.

If they keep their single threaded performance compared to 7700k, then it'll tip the edge in Intel's favor.

7700k has the speed, not the cores. Ryzen has the cores, not the speed. Whoever breaks that deadlock will win the next round.

Personally I am waiting for 6C version of 7700k or 8C version of 4790k, whichever comes first (I choose 4790k because it's the CPU I am on now, and it seems to be smack in the middle between 7700k and 1700x when it comes to single core performance).

Another person for the GTX 1080 and R5-1600 if you must spend the cash.

You could do GTX 1070 and R5-1600 for 1080p60hz and save some cash as well

I disagree - the Ryzen 1600 is potentially more future proof (as software is increasingly taking a minimum of 4 cores for granted), and the further you go up the graphics card scale, the longer the card lasts. Sure, the 1080 is overkill for 1080p NOW, but what about 3 years from now? 5? The Core i7 920 my friend has still plays every game he has at full detail at 1080p, but he has had to upgrade his video card - twice. My point is that the CPU will remain relevant far longer than the GPU, so maximize the GPU now to stretch out its useful life.
Fucking truth.
Get the better gpu

I would go for a Ryzen R7 1700 CPU & RX Vega 56 GPU...

I'd want something better than a 1080 honestly. I don't think its gonna look so nice years from now.

Nothing does. Just working with the choices given in the OP. If you've already got a reasonably fast CPU and SSD and you're not upgrading for years get the strongest GPU you can. That's the part that usually becomes outdated first.

If for only gaming then I personally would buy the Intel I7 - 7700k. As for video card either the GTX 1070 or GTX 1080.

i say wait a few weeks until amd bundles reach your country: you will get a Vega 56, a ryzen cpu and mobo with discounts. among other things, Vega 56 will force 1070 prices down.

why does ppl recommend i7 + worse gpu for gaming rig and cite "gaming" in same sentence??
logic much?

Sure depending on title 7700k may give you +5-10fps but 1070 will loose 20fps to 1080...so the point ?

Also brining ram instability in posts in mid-end july when agesa updates pretty much fixed & improved things way before that...sure Linux segfaults compilation bug is not fixed yet

If on budget I wouldn't pick 1700 instead of 1600 (non X, as that has cooler) , if 6 cores wont be enough in couple of years he can upgrade to zen2 with 8+ cores for cheap

This review is flawed because:
1) Overclocked 7800x produced no gain
2) That reviewer burn his 7800x
3) Doesn't lineup with other reviews

The 7800x did not prodùce gains on cpu limited games when o/c because it scales terribly with clock increases.

The review does not lineup with others because he used 3200 cas 14 which boosts performance alot.

Here is some more Ryzen goodness with both 3600 mhz cas 16 and 3200 mhz cas 14:

Impressive for sure!

DogitalFoundry did some benchmarking too. The results are rather interesting. Four threads just isn't quite enough these days.

Ryzen 5 1600X FTW. Look at my signature (Below). I just built it last Thursday and just updated my sig now. It was one of the smoothest builds that I've ever done to date. My last build (Z170) required 3 motherboards and 3 sets of ram before I could get the thing to post up. It took 3 weeks to get that system going vs 4 hours for this system.

My friends i5 system absolutely chokes if anything is running in the background too. .

I came from a i5 6600k that was overclocked to 4.4 ghz. The thing stuttered in games. The Stock Ryzen 5 has yet to stutter in any other games that I play. And from what I understand the 7700k also suffers from the occasional stutter but no where as bad as the i5. I'd have to say that the Ryzen 5/7 offers a level of smoothness that even an overclocked 7700k cant match. I have no evidence of this of course.

Ryzen 5 1600X FTW. Look at my signature (Below). I just built it last Thursday and just updated my sig now. It was one of the smoothest builds that I've ever done to date. My last build (Z170) required 3 motherboards and 3 sets of ram before I could get the thing to post up. It took 3 weeks to get that system going vs 4 hours for this system.

Annnnnnd my last 3 AMD systems took ages to configure / work, and never did work correctly without errors, and my z170 setup took approximately 55 minutes from un-boxing to usable windows. Its quotes like above why people can't just use what people on forums say anymore. Your one random bad experience is not indicative of platform usage by the masses.

That said with the above choices, I'd go 1600/1600x as well. (whatever comes with a decent cooler)

Its quotes like above why people can't just use what people on forums say anymore.Your one random bad experience is not indicative of platform usage by the masses.

What makes you think that it was only one bad experience? And are we not allowed to talk about our experiences?

and my z170 setup took approximately 55 minutes from un-boxing to usable windows.
Lucky you. The Z170 had early teething issues. Tons of youtubers had issues when it was first released.

No brainer. Ryzen 1600 + gtx1080 will easily beat 7700k + 1070. Advise to upgrade monitor down the road, ie, 1440p.

Back