Crashy

n00b
I am having doubts between these two rigs because in my country they cost same and I am not sure which is better choice.I am playing at 1080p 60hz ( I know its overkill and crazy but thing is that my firned doesn't have money for 144hz monitor or something like that and he isn't planning to buy PC soon and when I say soon I mean like 6-7 years ).

P.S. It's only for gaming.

If your friend is going to be using 1080p for the next few years go with the 7700k/1070. Should last him a while.

If you aren't going above 1080p, you want the 7700k system, as the 1070 will more than cover the GPU side. The ryzen+1080 system would only be comparable/better at 1440p or above.

I disagree - the Ryzen 1600 is potentially more future proof (as software is increasingly taking a minimum of 4 cores for granted), and the further you go up the graphics card scale, the longer the card lasts. Sure, the 1080 is overkill for 1080p NOW, but what about 3 years from now? 5? The Core i7 920 my friend has still plays every game he has at full detail at 1080p, but he has had to upgrade his video card - twice. My point is that the CPU will remain relevant far longer than the GPU, so maximize the GPU now to stretch out its useful life.

Great...two for ryzen two for intel...For the record he isn't planning to overclock. He likes intel though I like AMD, but I don't want to be the guy who screwed up his friend's PC so he gets to blame me for everything what happens to his PC, thus I am probably going with 7700 or 7700k system, though I would like to read few more opinions.

Last edited:
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. People have been predicting this and that for years, but even the projected (potential) advantage of Ryzen won't be that big, especially in this 1080p, non-tinkering owner scenario. Go with the 7700k.

I would get ryzen and 1080. Why?

-That 1080 is gonna last longer then the 1070 amd be faster over the whole timeframe

-Ryzen r5 is going to be better at multitasking all while hamdling gakes just fine

-years down the line its going to be cgeap and easy to upgrade the ryzen cpu. Its a new socket whereas the 7700k is the last of its socket type

The 7700K has stronger single threaded performance and higher clocks which are always more beneficial for games than many but slower/weaker cores with some fancy fabric/mesh interconnects that have yet to have widespread adoption and optimizations and that takes years. Some people overlook that the 7700K is also an 8-threaded CPU which makes it capable of reasonable longevity and relevance since HT is quite mature at this point and game support is pretty good.

If gaming is all I will be doing, I want to enjoy the very best now and going forward than waiting years for the platform to mature. By the time the 7700K becomes a bottleneck in games, the current 6-8 core cpus would be obsolete anyway just like the FX-series.

At 60hz: 1600
At 120hz or greater: 7700k.

But IMHO, neither is the ideal solution. The sweet spot IMHO would be either 7700k extended to 6C/12T while keeping single core performance the same, or a 1700x with single-core speed of around 4790K, while keeping the number of cores constant.

Sounds like your friend won't overclock. Then the CPU performance won't be that drastically different. But in 2 years you'll notice the difference between a 1070 and a 1080 pretty quick.

Ryzen + 1080 is my vote.

I guess I will go with Ryzen and 1080 because games will become more optimized for ryzen in the future ( at least I hope they will ) and, maybe I am wrong, but I find GPU kinda more important for gaming than CPU and my friend has no wish to change his GPU every 2-3 years. Also I was thinking about RX Vega but since it's price will match gtx 1080's price and since it will probably perform a bit worse I am going with gtx 1080.

I don't see games being more optimized for Ryzen ever. I've been hearing about this optimization theory for AMD processors for almost 20 years now. That said, the GPU is certainly more important.

Not every game will take advantage of the i7's better performance per thread in a noticible way where every single game will give you a boost going from a GTX 1070 to GTX 1080. Couple that with more and more games using more than 4 cores and it becoems a much easier choice. If your friend ever has interest for a 144hz monitor they will love that GTX 1080 even more.

The Intel combo would be better in the long run if you ever wanted to upgrade your GFX card again it's simple plug and play.

more powerful GPU over CPU any day

Most people replace gpu much faster than cpu. So making slight compromise on gpu to have stronger core of the platform is better long term.

And even in very multi-core friendly engines 1600 is going to struggle to match Kaby Lake - number of cores isn't everything games also love fast cache (where infinity fabric sucks) and memory speed.

oc_nv_bf1_dx12.png

Lot of you is saying that ryzen combo is better, but on the other hand lot of you is saying that intel combo is better, so my friend and I will simply wait for the next year to see what new intel and amd CPUs (ofc if they release 'em) have to offer because it's tough decision and he just can't pass his budget with buying 7700k and gtx 1080.

Most people replace gpu much faster than cpu. So making slight compromise on gpu to have stronger core of the platform is better long term.

And even in very multi-core friendly engines 1600 is going to struggle to match Kaby Lake - number of cores isn't everything games also love fast cache (where infinity fabric sucks) and memory speed.

oc_nv_bf1_dx12.png

Does those FPS differences matter for the friend of the OP unless they also have or will purchase a 144hz monitor ? If they are on a 60hz screen the difference between 106 FPS and 120 FPS means squat. I would also love to see the difference between a 1070 and 1080 on those games and see which gap is bigger. You do have a point I agree with which is people upgrade GPUs faster. Not to mention that a CPU upgrade usually means a new board and maybe RAM as well.

Any modern cpu is just fine as long as it's at least 4 cores. Always spend the money on the best video card for gaming the cpu barely matters. I run a 1700X chip and a 1080 at 1080p and it runs everything just fine. At 60 hz monitor your not going to notice what little the 7700k will do for fps over the Ryzen chip. Always get the fastest gpu you can afford and that is the best advice I can give ya.

You will become more starved of GPU power in the long run then CPU power. I would go with the Ryzen and 1080 GTX. The 1070 GTX can't even touch a stock 1080 when overclocked. Specially if you play at 1080p. Now say in 1-2 years your friend wants a new 1440p monitor. Well the 1080 GTX would be better long term then the 1070 GTX.

also remember the 1080 GTX has GDDRx5 too.

P.S. I am running an older X58 system too, and I play at 1080p. I had a 980ti overclocked (which is as fast as a 1070) and I bought a 1080 GTX. I noticed a difference right away in performance. Specially in PUBG and FFXIV.

Ryzen and 1080 ... I run a FX-6300 OC'ed to 4.5GHz and have ran GTX 1070 FTW, 1060 6GB and GTX 970 cards and they all run great, fast and smooth gaming. Ryzen wilI give you even better FPS than an OC'ed 6300. I would spend the extra $$$ and get a Ryzen 5 1600X (not the 1600) and definitely a 1080, preferably EVGA because the warranty follows the card, not the buyer and EVGA CS is great, call a tech 24/7, 5 minute wait on hold max {8^D

my build would be:
Ryzen 5 1600X
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW or Classified

that rig will be good for for any future game release for the next few years

7700K + 1070

By far. If hes gaming, the i7 is going to slap around a Ryzen any day.

With Ryzen you still have instability, issues with memory that they are now nailing down... slowly...

With the i7 7700K you get stability, and an all around faster CPU for gaming.

My next rebuild in 2018 will be with an Intel, either a i7 7700k or equivalent. Mainly because regardless, AMD throws more cpu's, Intel throws performance per core.

You can always use the extra GPU power now via DSR/ENB/ReShade. You can't do shit with the extra CPU power.

Get the Ryzen 1080 combo.

I'm using a Ryzen 1600 (@4Ghz) and a 1080 ti. Works amazingly well for my resolution at 4k where the GPU is more of a bottleneck (and kicks the snot out of i7 7700 in much of the video encoding and compiling I do), but if you're just gaming I would go with the i7 if you're stuck at 1080p. There's not going to be a major difference, but enough to be noticeable in some games.

The real caution on going Ryzen I would have is the platform is super finicky about RAM. Some modules will work fine, others will run at slower speeds, and some won't even post in my experience. Even the more recent mobo bios updates don't fix the issue. I went through three RAM sets and two mobos to find a match that worked right (and even those that were "certified" had problems I found) -- it almost wasn't worth the effort and headaches. If you do go Ryzen, you need to confirm both the CPU and Mobo are compatible with your RAM -- and don't just rely on what's listed on the compatibility lists, you need to go to forums like [H] to confirm. You also need to confirm you can get that RAM in your country for a reasonable price (RAM prices vastly differ across countries I've noticed).

As an aside, I would likely sell that 1080p monitor asap and move up to 1440p (120hz if possible). That's going to improve your gaming experience more than any minor delta between those two CPUs.

Last edited:
I'm using a Ryzen 1600 (@4Ghz) and a 1080 ti. Works amazingly well for my resolution at 4k where the GPU is more of a bottleneck (and kicks the snot out of i7 7700 in much of the video encoding and compiling I do), but if you're just gaming I would go with the i7 if you're stuck at 1080p. There's not going to be a major difference, but enough to be noticeable in some games.

The real caution on going Ryzen I would have is the platform is super finicky about RAM. Some modules will work fine, others will run at slower speeds, and some won't even post in my experience. Even the more recent mobo bios updates don't fix the issue. I went through three RAM sets and two mobos to find a match that worked right (and even those that were "certified" had problems I found) -- it almost wasn't worth the effort and headaches. If you do go Ryzen, you need to confirm both the CPU and Mobo are compatible with your RAM -- and don't just rely on what's listed on the compatibility lists, you need to go to forums like [H] to confirm. You also need to confirm you can get that RAM in your country for a reasonable price (RAM prices vastly differ across countries I've noticed).

As an aside, I would likely sell that 1080p monitor asap and move up to 1440p (120hz if possible). That's going to improve your gaming experience more than any minor delta between those two GPUs.

I'm using Ryzen 1600 with B350 Prime plus, but just as you said I am having troubles with my RAM, btw I am using Corsair LPX Vengeance ddr4 c15 2x8gb. Screen occassionaly goes gray, brown, black etc. and PC shuts down. I tried everything but nothing did work, so i7 looks like better choice since chances to match right mobo,RAM and Ryzen are way too low from my experience. I hate to say this since I like AMD so much more but that's truth... :/

7700K + 1070

By far. If hes gaming, the i7 is going to slap around a Ryzen any day.

With Ryzen you still have instability, issues with memory that they are now nailing down... slowly...

With the i7 7700K you get stability, and an all around faster CPU for gaming.

My next rebuild in 2018 will be with an Intel, either a i7 7700k or equivalent. Mainly because regardless, AMD throws more cpu's, Intel throws performance per core.

You can push for the superior per-core CPU performance of Intel all you like. You can even highlight that when purchasing RAM for a Ryzen, that you really have to stick to the HW compatibility list from the mainboard manufacturer (at which point, you have NO memory problems whatsoever). All of those are legit arguments.But you can't fault Ryzen for instability. It's no more nor less stable when built properly with compatible components, in general, than Intel. In his review of the processor, Kyle himself stated how he was impressed with the stability of Ryzen (particularly the memory controller) while he was working with it.

There is a suspected (but unconfirmed as yet) errata with Ryzen concerning a rare crash condition that seems to only happen when compiling multiple Linux kernels simultaneously - in Linux. On the flip side, there is the recently highlighted Skylake and Kaby Lake errata with Hyperthreading for Intel - again, in Linux. All-in-all, a wash.

I know OP said they're gonna wait, but I'm genuinely curious as to what decision he'll make in the end after all this discussion. :)

Ryzen and 1600

Ryzen platform (AM4) will have CPU and firmware/driver support for 3-4 more years.

Socket 1151 for 7700k is mid life, if not end of life

The extra two cores will be more helpful in the future than the faster Instructions per clock. And finally, you'll get an easy 20% on average faster fps with the 1080 over the 1070 on everything. - whereas the CPU difference won't matter on every game. (Won't matter on most games for the 60 FPS mark - and by the time it does matter the role may be reversed and more cores might be more valuable in the majority of new titles than the IPC).

GPU matters more than CPU for gaming. Always has.

Last edited:
I am having doubts between these two rigs because in my country they cost same and I am not sure which is better choice.I am playing at 1080p 60hz ( I know its overkill and crazy but thing is that my firned doesn't have money for 144hz monitor or something like that and he isn't planning to buy PC soon and when I say soon I mean like 6-7 years ).

P.S. It's only for gaming.

Read this.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...s-intel-core-i7-7800x-30-game-battle.2511792/

For gaming the GPU is the priority so if you can get the faster GPU that will net you the better experience.

For gaming rig, more GPU now = more future proof plain and simple. Plus Ryzen boards will be good for alot longer than Intel's boards due to socket changes on Intel's side.

From these answers I can see that lot of you would certainly go for ryzen and gtx 1080 and I would like to buy ryzen myself too, but from my previous experience I would never go with ryzen again, at least not with this gen of ryzen. I know its more future proof but memory support just sucks at this time and I know AMD ( hopefully ) is going to fix this in future but I am certain that my friend doesnt have money to change his RAM rapidly until he matches it with mobo and cpu... If anyone knows how to fix these black,brown,gray screen problems which I am experiencing at the moment let me know, but for now I am up for i7 7700k.

Yet to be confirmed but there might be a little bit more life in the LGA 1151 socket with CFL having backwards compatibility with older chipsets like the Z170 the Z270.

From these answers I can see that lot of you would certainly go for ryzen and gtx 1080 and I would like to buy ryzen myself too, but from my previous experience I would never go with ryzen again, at least not with this gen of ryzen. I know its more future proof but memory support just sucks at this time and I know AMD ( hopefully ) is going to fix this in future but I am certain that my friend doesnt have money to change his RAM rapidly until he matches it with mobo and cpu... If anyone knows how to fix these black,brown,gray screen problems which I am experiencing at the moment let me know, but for now I am up for i7 7700k.
Update bios and buy RAM listed by the motherboard maker as compatible.

It's not that big a hurdle...some motherboards you can even update over the network through the bios itself.

My Ryzen 1700 + asus b350 prime has been solid from day one. Performance has increased with bios updates a couple of percentage points, certain titles have been patched and improved as well -- While the intel does have stronger single threaded performance, a handful of games are starting to show benefits to having more then 8 threads. A lower clocked 6900k beating the i7-7700k. My friends i5 system absolutely chokes if anything is running in the background too. Some people argue for amd or intel here and have valid points -- but no one argues that 1080 is greater then the 1070 -- so put me down for a 1600x (because he is not going to overclock) + 1080 vote.

Back