Ryzen 4000 series launch - Integrated/OEM/SI only, low power options, workstation class.

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Didn't see a thread on this yet.
https://ir.amd.com/news-releases/ne...es-desktop-processors-amd-radeon-graphics-set

All integrated, max out at 8C/16T. Sadly, OEM/Integrators only; I'd hope to build an APU system for a HTPC, but ah well. Back to using older parts and a 1660 or something instead.

Any thoughts?

" The Ryzen 4000 G-Series Desktop Processors are expected to be available in systems from OEM partners including Lenovo and HP starting in Q3 2020. The Ryzen PRO 4000 Series Desktop Processors will be available from SIs at launch on July 21st and are expected in systems from OEM partners starting later this fall. The Ryzen 4000 G-Series, Athlon 3000 G-Series, Ryzen PRO 4000 Series and Athlon PRO 3000 Series Desktop Processors are exclusively available from SIs and OEM partners. "

These are just Zen 2 chips. Doesn't seem like anything special to me.

AMD News Release said:
Ryzen 4000 Series Desktop Processors are built on the industry-leading 7nm process and “Zen 2” core architecture

GotNoRice is correct. The Ryzen APUs, despite their 4000-series numbering, use the same Zen2 architecture as the current Ryzen 3000-series CPUs. And these SKUs are currently available only to OEMs and system manudacturers. For build-it-yourselfers who want an APU, you're stuck with the older Zen+-architecture Ryzen 3000-series APUs for the time being. And build-it-yourselfers who want the Zen2 architecture currently will have to buy a separate discrete graphics card to go with the CPU.

That's because it's not your market ;). They are zen2 chips, so ~10-15% IPC gain over zen+ which is what the 3000 series of APUs use, and you can get an APU with 8/16 now. This would be great for a HTPC build that does a bit more heavy lifting, or even a small home server build that doesn't need a tremendous amount of power or discrete GPU, but can get some real work done still. The down side to me is they are still using Vega, but from what we've seen in mobile, hopefully it's an optimized version of it. Still, 8 core 16 thread 3.6ghz base / 4.4 boost with onboard GPU is basically dropping in a 3700x with a really low end GPU (1030 or worse I am guessing we'll see). If this gets some availability and the prices aren't to bad I may go this route when I build my new home server as it'll easily trump my older dual xeon setup. Onboard graphics is a plus because I run mostly headless anyways.

Thoughts?

Solid kick in the sack.
Given they support HDMI 2.1 when used with a compliant B550 board these would make great HTPC chips.
I have the Gigabyte B550 itx on pre-order... wondering how long i'll have to wait for a 4700G.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I was really hoping to the Zen2 apus would come out, even on the low end. Wife needs something with integrated graphics & don't want to build with Zen+ now that zen2 is out in most cases. Just wait for zen3? She has a i5-3570 with 4G ram. I have 32G of "slower" (ddr4-3000) sitting here. A cheap Zen2 APU would have filled the need nicely. Maybe go Intel/i3 now? This coming from someone who just replace two intel setups with 2 AMD setups.

Last edited:

Actually, they are very different.

1). They are monolithic and not chiplets, so they don't have a latency penalty like the chiplet design does, but they also have less cache.
2). The memory controller is somewhat stronger allowing for much higher memory speeds.
3). Early samples seem to OC somewhat better than current 3000 series.
4). Obviously, the IGP.

It's too simplistic to say that it's Zen2, nothing to see here. In a pure gaming build, it should be somewhat faster than 3000 series since the chiplet latency hit is gone. For most tasks, it should perform about the same though.

That's because it's not your market ;). They are zen2 chips, so ~10-15% IPC gain over zen+ which is what the 3000 series of APUs use, and you can get an APU with 8/16 now. This would be great for a HTPC build that does a bit more heavy lifting, or even a small home server build that doesn't need a tremendous amount of power or discrete GPU, but can get some real work done still. The down side to me is they are still using Vega, but from what we've seen in mobile, hopefully it's an optimized version of it. Still, 8 core 16 thread 3.6ghz base / 4.4 boost with onboard GPU is basically dropping in a 3700x with a really low end GPU (1030 or worse I am guessing we'll see). If this gets some availability and the prices aren't to bad I may go this route when I build my new home server as it'll easily trump my older dual xeon setup. Onboard graphics is a plus because I run mostly headless anyways.
The 4700G was reviewed and out performed a 3700X. It's on par with a 3800x, I think. The problem will be waiting until the retail apus are released and the price. Anything 4600g and above will probably be expensive especially in the "gouged" countries.

Thoughts?

Solid kick in the sack.
Given they support HDMI 2.1 when used with a compliant B550 board these would make great HTPC chips.
I have the Gigabyte B550 itx on pre-order... wondering how long i'll have to wait for a 4700G.
A long wait? September at least or later? It's perfect for an itx build though.
It's also a good "place holder" even if you wanted a discrete gpu because new ones are coming.

I was really hoping to the Zen2 apus would come out, even on the low end. Wife needs something with integrated graphics & don't want to build with Zen+ now that zen2 is out in most cases. Just wait for zen3? She has a i5-3570 with 4G ram. I have 32G of "slower" (ddr4-3000) sitting here. A cheap Zen2 APU would have filled the need nicely. Maybe go Intel/i3 now? This coming from someone who just replace two intel setups with 2 AMD setups.
Start an AM4 build now but get a 3100 or similar for the mean time?

Intel is expensive and is mostly good for single core/IPC but isn't a good value for price/performance. Also, not great for multi-core/multitasking/productivity unless you get an i7 or i9. Even then, AM4 R7 and R9 is a better value. The only exception is if your main activity is gaming then Intel is superior.
If you want an igpu/apu, you will want AMD AM4 right now. Get a good motherboard and other parts with a placeholder cpu. The cpu can always be sold later if your ultimate goal is a Renoir desktop cpu.

The 4700G was reviewed and out performed a 3700X. It's on par with a 3800x, I think. The problem will be waiting until the retail apus are released and the price. Anything 4600g and above will probably be expensive especially in the "gouged" countries.

A long wait? September at least or later? It's perfect for an itx build though.
It's also a good "place holder" even if you wanted a discrete gpu because new ones are coming.

Start an AM4 build now but get a 3100 or similar for the mean time?

Intel is expensive and is mostly good for single core/IPC but isn't a good value for price/performance. Also, not great for multi-core/multitasking/productivity unless you get an i7 or i9. Even then, AM4 R7 and R9 is a better value. The only exception is if your main activity is gaming then Intel is superior.
If you want an igpu/apu, you will want AMD AM4 right now. Get a good motherboard and other parts with a placeholder cpu. The cpu can always be sold later if your ultimate goal is a Renoir desktop cpu.

For the wife, multitasking is antivirus + whatever she is running. I am not even sure MS/Intel are releasing security fixes anymore for IB, hence the need to upgrade. I'm thinking i3 with integrated might be the way to go. Going to sit for now & do some more research....but that thing is way long in the tooth.

For the wife, multitasking is antivirus + whatever she is running. I am not even sure MS/Intel are releasing security fixes anymore for IB, hence the need to upgrade. I'm thinking i3 with integrated might be the way to go. Going to sit for now & do some more research....but that thing is way long in the tooth.
You just need more Ram for that so 16gb at least. When multiple apps are running in the background, extra memory is probably a more efficient purchase than a powerful cpu. Yeah, an i3 is good enough but look at Ryzen too. You don't need much of a GPU if it is just running a virus checker.

So the best gaming cpu in the world might be OEM only...and from AMD.

The 4700g is a BEAST. Although the Intel cpus can push to over 5ghz+, the 4700g has been reported hitting 4.7ghz and even 5ghz with a chiller. Furthermore, it is capable of a 1:1 fclk at 2200mhz which is huge for AMD performance.

I think we missed out on a real gem. Maybe AMD will release it retail to spoil Intels Rocket Lake release.

So the best gaming cpu in the world might be OEM only...and from AMD.
The 4700g is a BEAST. Although the Intel cpus can push to over 5ghz+, the 4700g has been reported hitting 4.7ghz and even 5ghz with a chiller. Furthermore, it is capable of a 1:1 fclk at 2200mhz which is huge for AMD performance.

I think we missed out on a real gem. Maybe AMD will release it retail to spoil Intels Rocket Lake release.
I don't think we missed out, zen3 will be out soon and rumors are that the higher end parts are boosting to 4.8ghz. That plus an IPC increase due to a new architecture and doubling of floating point performance, I think we'll be getting just as good/better soon enough. That said, I could see the 4700g sitting in a home server or something that I wouldnt mind a good core count with iGPU.

I don't think we missed out, zen3 will be out soon and rumors are that the higher end parts are boosting to 4.8ghz. That plus an IPC increase due to a new architecture and doubling of floating point performance, I think we'll be getting just as good/better soon enough. That said, I could see the 4700g sitting in a home server or something that I wouldnt mind a good core count with iGPU.

True, but I still put a lot of weight in having any kind of igpu despite rocking a 1600af. It's like driving a car without a spare tire. It just makes troubleshooting so much easier.

That said, AMD will have Intel covered on both angles: Balls out performance with Zen 3 over Comet Lake and versatility with Renoir over Rocket Lake.
* I have a feeling that RKL will actually be a slight regression in some games compared to CML due to lowered clocks via the early power consumption reports.

True, but I still put a lot of weight in having any kind of igpu despite rocking a 1600af. It's like driving a car without a spare tire. It just makes troubleshooting so much easier.

That said, AMD will have Intel covered on both angles: Balls out performance with Zen 3 over Comet Lake and versatility with Renoir over Rocket Lake.
* I have a feeling that RKL will actually be a slight regression in some games compared to CML due to lowered clocks via the early power consumption reports.
I don't hate iGPU, but 99.9% of the time it's useless. I normally have a spare GPU laying around I can use if I have to t/s... A little extra effort, but not to bad. In some instances it makes sense, and if it's pretty much the same price with or without, why not (unless it really affects boost clocks or something).

I don't hate iGPU, but 99.9% of the time it's useless. I normally have a spare GPU laying around I can use if I have to t/s... A little extra effort, but not to bad. In some instances it makes sense, and if it's pretty much the same price with or without, why not (unless it really affects boost clocks or something).

An igpu isolates possible mb issues as well as the gpu, but I get what your saying.

Maybe a better analogy would be 4wd vs 2wd for those that live in the city. Slightly worse tow rating with 4wd and worse price/performance but very nice in those 0.1% situations.

As Hardware Unboxed mentioned, retail will probably not get Renoir, at least not for a while. Priority will go to Laptops and OEM. AMD has seen unprecedented demand for 4000 series laptops.

Toms did a comprehensive review of the 4750g here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750g-renoir-review

The biggest wow factor is Renoir power efficiency. Intel probably will not have anything this efficient in a desktop until 2022. APU overclocking was very good and the memory controller was even better.

The biggest achilles heal is the tiny 8MB cache compared to 32MB in other 8 core AMD CPUs. This held it back in gaming when the textures were cranked up as the APU needed to swap with the system memory more often. The lower latency of the monolithic die could not overcome this.

I still thing there is a place for this CPU even with the release of Zen 3. For medium quality textures, the lower cache will due just fine. If the Raven Ridge is good enough selling along side Zen 2, Renoir is definitely good enough to supplement Zen 3.

Has anyone seen any pre-built desktops With these processors in them yet?

was just checking Newegg and it doesn’t look like there’s any to go around.

Back