Ryzen 4 Reviews Are Out.

Agreed , but even with x670e giving so much features 4 nvme and stuff like that people aren't ready to spend that money now. 2022 will be if it ain't broken don't fix it year 💯 . Wait to 4090 comes out , with all these 3080 on the market jesus , I can see Nvidia taking a hit in the gut for the first time in a decade 😅
I'm hugging my 3080 FE that I bought 2 years ago for $700. Seems like a high-end bargain, nowadays. :D

got mine for 629.99 + 5% cashback from best buy. Capital one shopping has coupons and lot of them work for 10% off stacked if you use bestbuy credit card it seems. So I have been using that quite a bit. Its hit and miss but surprised how often one of those coupons works with bestbuy credit card option.
not bad at all i remember when the Amd Ryzen 9 5950x was $799.00 and good ddr 4 was more expensive than good ddr 5 is right now

I currently have a 9700k on a Z390 motherboard and 32GB DDR4, and my RTX-3080 running the games.

Would I notice a difference in higher frames or smoother performance upgrading to a Zen 4 7700X, and X670 mobo and 64GB DDR5?

I mostly play World of Warcraft and New World, at my 38" res of 3840 X 1600, and play games Ultra max settings with 8xAA

Last edited:
I currently have a 9700k on a Z390 motherboard and 32GB DDR4

Would I notice a difference in higher frames or smoother performance upgrading to a Zen 4 7700X, and X670 mobo and 64GB DDR5?

I mostly play World of Warcraft and New World, at my 38" res of 3840 X 1600, and play games Ultra max settings with 8xAA

You probably would when it comes to sustained FPS. Probably a big differecne OfCourse might want one of the newer generation cards too if you don't have one already. On the other side IDK if you really need to sped on 64GB of ram unless your work requires it. Rather invest that money towards another upgrade. 5800x3d is nice but I am not sure going from z390 and doing all that work and still staying behind in socket is worth it. I would rather get zen 4 for now and then drop on x3d version down the road just swapping CPUs with new platform.

You probably would when it comes to sustained FPS. Probably a big differecne OfCourse might want one of the newer generation cards too if you don't have one already. On the other side IDK if you really need to sped on 64GB of ram unless your work requires it. Rather invest that money towards another upgrade. 5800x3d is nice but I am not sure going from z390 and doing all that work and still staying behind in socket is worth it. I would rather get zen 4 for now and then drop on x3d version down the road just swapping CPUs with new platform.
This is the correct approach. The 5800x3D makes sense if you already have an AM4 motherboard. Otherwise, you're better off upgrading to a newer platform as the 5800x3D is probably the last chip AMD will release on AM4. AM5 will have some legs for sure, and I would imagine the 3D v-cache chips are going to be something special.

I'll be waiting for the x3d chips to upgrade. Might go for a 4090 but will have to wait for reviews. This is the first zen generation I haven't bought at launch, the x3d is just too good. I'm hoping they figure out the x3d clocks and pbo to allow proper boosting along with higher core parts as then we should see significant gains.

Heck, I'd take a proper 5950x3d tbh and be happy.

At that resolution? I'd say the performance increase would be marginal. 9700k is a pretty stout gaming CPU even today. It's a little slower than a 5800x but faster than any 3000 series CPU (when it comes to gaming performance)

At that resolution? I'd say the performance increase would be marginal. 9700k is a pretty stout gaming CPU even today. It's a little slower than a 5800x but faster than any 3000 series CPU (when it comes to gaming performance)
I'm in a similar boat as him. My 8700K is fast enough to be capable, but not fast enough to pair with a high-end 30/40 series GPU.
With mobo and DDR5 prices being so high it's hard to justify an upgrade.

I'm in a similar boat as him. My 8700K is fast enough to be capable, but not fast enough to pair with a high-end 30/40 series GPU.
With mobo and DDR5 prices being so high it's hard to justify an upgrade.
Same. Not enough of a jump yet I think. I’m closely watching Storm Peak and Sapphire Rapids too- depending on what’s in those an update to my workstations may be in the cards.

I'll be waiting for the x3d chips to upgrade. Might go for a 4090 but will have to wait for reviews. This is the first zen generation I haven't bought at launch, the x3d is just too good. I'm hoping they figure out the x3d clocks and pbo to allow proper boosting along with higher core parts as then we should see significant gains.

Heck, I'd take a proper 5950x3d tbh and be happy.
No way they will do a 5950x3d. That would render nearly the entire Ryzen 7000 chip line obsolete; it would be a gaming and productivity powerhouse.

A 7950x3D? That will be the rebirth of the $1000 CPU... and I'd buy it, too.

I get that it may be fast enough but hard to find 9700k on charts these days. But this review kind of does show the CPU performance. There is a clear difference thats all I was referring to as the OP asked about higher frames and smoother experience. I can definitely bet the games are smoother with latest gen than 9700k. But if 9700k meets your needs, no one needs more or can convince you otherwise.

I get that it may be fast enough but hard to find 9700k on charts these days. But this review kind of does show the CPU performance. There is a clear difference thats all I was referring to as the OP asked about higher frames and smoother experience. I can definitely bet the games are smoother with latest gen than 9700k. But if 9700k meets your needs, no one needs more or can convince you otherwise.

The 12 game average the 7700X came out on top even above the 12900k. And shows compared to a 10600k which is probably close to my 9700k, the new 7700X is approx. 40% faster, which is HUGE.

But, that's all being tested at the low res of 1080p, with medium game settings.

So really no way to tell when running a much higher res, it's prob mostly GPU.

The 12 game average the 7700X came out on top even above the 12900k. And shows compared to a 10600k which is probably close to my 9700k, the new 7700X is approx. 40% faster, which is HUGE.

But, that's all being tested at the low res of 1080p, with medium game settings.

So really no way to tell when running a much higher res, it's prob mostly GPU.

With new GPUs I think they will push more, and your lows will likely be higher and smoother game play.

I look at Zen 4 as a 5800X3D with more cores. I am not complaining about that. I have a 5800X3D (my son has a 5950X)! Looking forward to having twice the cores and a new platform.

AM5 over Z790 because when Zen 4 X3D drops - boom drop in upgrade and because I have a 7950X - it will still have plenty of resale for productivity peeps.

The jump from 5800X to 5800X3D was huge (3440x1440 / 175Hz / OLED / RTX 3090 Ti). So I can't even imagine the experience you guys would have going from much earlier gens to Zen 4 (or even 5800X3D)!

Can you fill all 4 DIMM Memory slots in today's era?

I thought back several years ago that was a no no. Filling all 4 slots actually gave worse performance, slow downs.

But I see all the YouTubers with all memory slots filled nowadays.

Can you fill all 4 DIMM Memory slots in today's era?

I thought back several years ago that was a no no. Filling all 4 slots actually gave worse performance, slow downs.

But I see all the YouTubers with all memory slots filled nowadays.
Doofuses fill all 4 slots for RGB. Some are using fake RAM probably.
I still try to avoid it.

Doofuses fill all 4 slots for RGB. Some are using fake RAM probably.
I still try to avoid it.
I bought a fake ram kit to fill my slots.
Not sure how many different kits there are, but I believe this is the only model from Corsair, Vengeance Pro RGB.
I bought 4x8GB kits for my other machines since they don't have an SL fake ram kit.
IMG_2204.JPEG

Beautiful build
thanks. been thinking about selling it since I don't use it anymore.
If someone is local to Hampton Roads, make me an offer. I won't ship or part it out.

this is what I use now.
IMG_3088.JPEG

So your filling all 4 DIMM slots, meaning it's a non issue today? 4 x 8GB or 2 x 16GB is the same % performance?

It’s generally not an issue unless you’re trying to achieve the highest possible memory OC. Only running 2 in my current box but had for in the previous one and 4 in the one before it and it wasn’t a problem.

Iirc there’s still a speed drop on Intel and supposed to be on amd - but I haven’t seen talk yet for AM5. Alder lake definitely does.

If you’re using all slots you’re probably not concerned about gaming speed, anyway - you probably just need RAM for productivity stuff which doesn’t gain much of anything with faster speeds.

I was looking at 2x32 DDR5 kits and they’re pretty slow these days. May as well wait for faster ones and use my 2x16.

What CAS is recommended for good DDR5?

The 64GB ( 2x32) are CAS40

32GB is see CAS 36 or even 32

Is there a noticeable feel in performance between CAS speeds?

So far this Gen DDR5, hynix mem kits are better. Samsung arent that great for OC. Samsung usually has timings like 36-36-36-36. This is a Hynix Kit - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374422

Is this a good one? Or is it time to go 64GB ( 2x32 ) for 4k gaming now and in the future? Or is a lower latency faster 32 GB better?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/p/CMT32GX5M2X5600C36W

My current newer Lian Li case is white and my RTX-3080 is white.

Last edited:
Tbf I remember paying quite a bit for my 3200 c14 flareX with my Ryzen 1600 back in those days.
And I remember paying $100 per gb of DDR for my socket 939 Athlon 64. And then I paid $200 for a 6gb kit for my i7 920 setup.

The 7950x and 7900x have scheduling issues (latency spikes). Either wait for x3d with one CCD, go 7700x or 13900k for gaming.

Same thing TPU said:

In gaming, Zen 4 can also deliver. At 1080p, the 7700X is the fastest Zen 4 processor for gaming—yes, even faster than the 7950X. The underlying reason is that the 7900X and 7950X use a dual-CCD design, where the processor's computation ability is spread across two silicon dies, while the 7600X and 7700X use only a single CCD. This single CCD configuration helps make a difference in gaming, because things are better localized and there's no inter-CCD latency penalties. The differences are small though, the other Ryzens are still formidable CPUs for gaming, but if gaming is your primary focus, then the 7700X is your best choice.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7700x/28.html

Memory speed/latency won't be as important when X3D chips are out. I've tried several kits on my 5800X3D and it makes little difference really. Low latency b die 3200 to 3800 is negligible the cpu doesn't seem to care much % wise. Been hoping a respected review site would compile the deltas for everyone to prove it. Hub hosts discussing the topic during a Q/A recently.

Hey why people craping on cheap DDR5 5600.It is not so bad on AMD 7700X

Default voltages I can run CL36 6200 and Infinity Fabric 2200.I only PC game at 4k so memory does not make any real difference.As these setting are not super aggressive or anything but they are good enough for my use case and saved me a few buck over buying the same DDR5 6200 Ram.
$158 USD 5600 32GB,I am in Canada so $214 Canadian
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...5600C36-_-20-236-828-_-Product&quicklink=true

Ram is stable on 12hr run but did a quick 30 minute run to show default voltage if anyone is interested in cheap ram that runs good today.
CMK32-GX5-M2-B5600-C36.jpg

Hey why people craping on cheap DDR5 5600.It is not so bad on AMD 7700X

Default voltages I can run CL36 6200 and Infinity Fabric 2200.I only PC game at 4k so memory does not make any real difference.As these setting are not super aggressive or anything but they are good enough for my use case and saved me a few buck over buying the same DDR5 6200 Ram.
$158 USD 5600 32GB,I am in Canada so $214 Canadian
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...5600C36-_-20-236-828-_-Product&quicklink=true

Ram is stable on 12hr run but did a quick 30 minute run to show default voltage if anyone is interested in cheap ram that runs good today.
View attachment 515791

Awesome. Can you show us perf scaling in games with the 7700X stock and overclocked? I’m assuming running at 5.7GHz you’re way ahead of your 12900K?

Back