Ryzen 4 Reviews Are Out.

I keep saying it, but early adopters are getting in on a new platform that will have at least 3 but as many as 5-6 years of life span. Some people don't use that platform to upgrade, but others do. I, for one, cannot wait to build off this in the future.
That’s what I’m doing. I’ll swap to a X3D next summer if available. It also only cost a few hundred more than my 9900k setup did.

Got my build finished. Set expo and did -10 on curve optimizer and +150 on the max boost.

Was surreal to see 6ghz in CPU-Z. I’ll have to dial everything in tomorrow.

Loaded up Star Citizen (most cpu limited game I have installed) and walked around a station and where I was getting 80-90fps it was bouncing off the gsync limiter at 117. The more demanding areas that dropped to 50-60 on the 9900k were 80-100. Seems pretty close to what the 5800x3d is supposed to do in that game.

Leaning towards passing. Wouldn't be an upgrade on my x399 system for its current use case (same number of cores, fewer PCIE slots (or if I bought a board with integrated 10G, a significantly more expensive upgrade)). Z490 box is still fine for what I game. Would be an upgrade for my X570/3950X box - but that's not CPU limited really either - and my two workstations it's far too low on core counts still.

Looks good overall, but just not enough for me right now - unless there's a good 4 slot board out there (x8/x8/x4/x4). Only need one NVMe for the x399 box, but a !@!@#@ ton of SATA drives, and no motherboard has enough ports for replacing that till we get to HEDT. .

I would have had my shit today. But newegg looks like banned me forever at my address and no one else seems to have boards, if you have payment issue with them call your account gone, so be careful lmao. Even creating a new account as they told me to with different email got me banned lmao. Also Shit inventory it seems, or Newegg scalped it all lmao. I am ordering ram from kingston, processor comes in tomorrow from Bestbuy and powersupply from Amazon today and can't get a board unless I drive 3 hours to microcenter.

Might wait a bit for that lol.
Newegg is messed up like this 100%.Had an account for 15 years I think and it got banned.Opened another account banned,called them 20 times always got your account if fine now.Anyway took about 6 different accounts before they let me buy there stuff.
Will that RAM clock properly without Expo profiles?
The ram only had XMP profile from Intel but I just set the timing from 5600MT's to 6000MT's it was all good.
If you have EXPO ram it will show both XMP/EXPO but you may know that already.

Anyway no fun in overclocking no more just set curve optimizer and runs my games at AMD 7700X 5500Mhz which is all I wanted .
1664523952663.png

Early adopter here, I have 3 nice ryzen 3 setups all with cl14 memory setups and 5900x , I think it's one of the best setups ever. But I'm a enthusiast and I did hate that I'm limited to 5900x clock and performance gap with power and temp , if ryzen 3 had the option overclocking I take the extra heat anyday and energy usage . Ryzen 4 is oveclocked and not limited platform , it keeps going to 95c which is great my custom loop which runs on water temp sensor fan curve , so once my water temp get to high my fan will hit thermal limit and slow down and my 7950 will have to work temps envelope I design for it , I love it. And if I want, I can crank the 7950 down 65 watts and it's still faster than most anything out there while still running decent usage. Is it budget friendly, not at all. So I'm say this is ether a production item or a luxury item , for me I have a 2018 type r sitting in a garage it's a weekend driver luxury item,not good on gas wasnt price friendly, but is fun as hell. Pick your poison budget or luxury but what's great everyone wins now amd intel high low end budget end there's something for everyone, it wasn't always like this.

New Build
Amd Ryzen 9 7950x
Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series AMD EXPO 32GB CL

How To Enable AMD Eco Mode - 7600x 7700x 7900x 7950x​

Last edited:
Newegg is messed up like this 100%.Had an account for 15 years I think and it got banned.Opened another account banned,called them 20 times always got your account if fine now.Anyway took about 6 different accounts before they let me buy there stuff.

The ram only had XMP profile from Intel but I just set the timing from 5600MT's to 6000MT's it was all good.

Anyway no fun in overclocking no more just set curve optimizer and runs my games at AMD 7700X 5500Mhz which is all I wanted .
View attachment 515028

I’m aiming for 5.5GHz as well. I’m new to current AMD CPUs, so what exactly did you do to get there?

I also purchased a kit of CL32 6400 MT/s memory. I know the sweet spot is 6000 but I wanted to see if there’s any gains if I push it.

View attachment 515028
I wouldn’t bother with them but they seem to have the boards. I just created one under my wife’s name and it went to packaging so I think I am good. I didn’t order anything from them for a while. They seemed to have all the boards Lmao. I think they just have my name and address and phone number blocked lol. If any two matches it’s likely locked. So asked the wife if I can try her name and she was like go for it. And went to packaging 5 mins after ordering. Under my name it was getting instantly voided after ordering and then account locked lmao. I created 2 different once and both those got locked + the original one from year and half ago. They don’t even email you back within promised time frame if you inquire.

So where are all of your CB23/20 and 3DMark CPU score numbers at?!?!? I want to compare to see if it is a jump worth making over my 5950X! Yeah yeah, I can look at them online, but those are not as fun as seeing what "everyday" enthusiasts are seeing. :)

7k series is already showing that more performance is being extracted from the 3090 Ti. I assure you, 5k series will be capping the next gen. By how much is TBD, but it will be capped. The numbers don't lie.
in what game, resolution and settings?

Sad thing is that Intel might be better overall value when they drop raptor lake.
I thought the same bud given their socket is likely on last leg I had to disagree with myself. They will be gurantee replacing it next gen now. They tend to do it every 2 cpu gens. So that is done with their current socket. Not looking to replace my board for 5 years. So had to go amd here. Will drop in next gen or two x3d to end with.

Sad thing is that Intel might be better overall value when they drop raptor lake.
but sad thing its the end of the line for that socket soon, so unless you are on that socket its kinda end of life on that socket before meteor lake hit in 2023

but sad thing its the end of the line for that socket soon, so unless you are on that socket its kinda end of life on that socket before meteor lake hit in 2023
Yeah I had an epiphany about that when I was deciding on my build. I have a ryzen 1700X on a X370 motherboard not being used. I checked and there is a bios update for it to run the 5800X3D, so I almost went that way.... I bought that thing in 2017!

I have an ASUS X670E-E Gaming WiFi on order, but Amazon is saying it won’t ship until November. I can grab the AsRock X670E Taichi Carrara today….what do you guys think? I’m interested in tweaking the memory and I’ve heard AsRock might not be the greatest in that case.

MicroCenter has free DDR5 now if you get a 7xxx series CPU. I'm guessing sales have been lower than expected. My store (MN) has had 25+ 7950X since launch day on the site.

View attachment 515105

Dang, I don't recall seeing a deal like that before? 32GB Memory for free, so is DDR5 a dud non seller or are the new AMD chips not selling?

Someone else said it well here on the [H], during COVID tons of people upgraded or built brand new PC's in 2020 / 2021, and now they're good and done for awhile, so hot new hardware releases won't be snatched up immediately today like it was last couple of years.

Close to finding a buyer for my 9900KS rig...if I can get that sold I am all in on that MicroCenter deal. Just need to figure out what case to get and what watercooling (AIO 360mm). Any recommendations? Ideally mid-tower or smaller. Happy with high airflow mesh, I'm good with cleaning out my rig often. :)

Just goes to show lots of people are tapped out. Groceries and gas or a new CPU? Not a hard decision.
Definitely playing a part for sure. Lets throw a historically bad hurricane on top here in the US to boot. Hopefully any [H]ers down south are holding up.

I expect those hordes of RTX 4090s to sit on the shelves as well.
Agree. Today I had to put damn near a grand into HVAC and home maintenance with winter coming and it was way cheaper than using a new 4090 for a space heater instead.. I have no plans to by any 4000 series GPU anyway but would love to mess with the AM5 stuff. Still I can't justify pretty much a side grade which would really be me just splashing on a hobby.
Certainly not alone in this.

Yeah. I'm passing.

$500 for the motherboard I'd need (ProArt). $700 for the CPU (7950X). $400 or so for RAM (64G). That makes a 1:1 swap but faster for my x399 box. And... $1600 doesn't actually buy me anything but "faster," which isn't something that system really runs into as an issue (server 80%, 4k gaming 20%).

If your a gamer, upgrading the cpu / motherboard only needs to be done like once every 4 to 5 years. It's the GPU that does most of the heavy lifting, and even a 9900k with 32GB DDR4 today is still good enough, if you have a RTX-3090 or the upcoming RTX-4080, a brand new cpu doesn't really matter all that much.

If your a gamer, upgrading the cpu / motherboard only needs to be done like once every 4 to 5 years. It's the GPU that does most of the heavy lifting, and even a 9900k with 32GB DDR4 today is still good enough, if you have a RTX-3090 or the upcoming RTX-4080, a brand new cpu doesn't really matter all that much.
And that's why the Z490 and X570 boxes aren't changing for me. 10700K/10900K are both just fine (wife/mine) for my resolution (1440P) for the moment, and the 3950X (80% server, 20% VR) is tied to... well, VR - so that's also GPU limited. Neither will even notice a CPU upgrade enough to make a difference.

And that's why the Z490 and X570 boxes aren't changing for me. 10700K/10900K are both just fine (wife/mine) for my resolution (1440P) for the moment, and the 3950X (80% server, 20% VR) is tied to... well, VR - so that's also GPU limited. Neither will even notice a CPU upgrade enough to make a difference.

A 10700k cpu is still a super good CPU today, an upgrade to a 13700k wouldn't even be noticeable, besides technical benchmarks.

A 10700k cpu is still a super good CPU today, an upgrade to a 13700k wouldn't even be noticeable, besides technical benchmarks.
Depends on use case, as always. If you’re into competitive online shooters - yes. High FPS and low minimum frames improves fluidity at high Hz.

So true, and even more so if you game at quality resolutions like 4K or 1440P.

EMdubs
The weird part was that I did not do anything special,was quite simple and borning.Of course I only been testing stability for a few hours.Made a video with HWInfo64 on with clocks and Temperatures and BIOS settings in description. Nothing special.
Bios Setting for first Cinebench run and I may never run it again on asrock board.You Asrock board will have all the bells and whistles

My BIOS Settings for PC Gaming BCLK 1 For 100Mhz bus
My BIOS Settings for PC Gaming BCLK 1 For 100Mhz bus
https://postimg.cc/ThdDBmxs
PBO Setting
https://postimg.cc/nM3Dxzch
Simple Curve Optimizer aggressive offset
https://postimg.cc/0brJysbd

@III_Slyflyer_III
First run on Cinebench23 AMD 7700X
Max Temperature 87°C
Single 2003
Multi 20537

Impressive ST boost compared to the 5000 series. My MT is about 30.2K, but my ST is 1640.

Depends on use case, as always. If you’re into competitive online shooters - yes. High FPS and low minimum frames improves fluidity at high Hz.
The CPU won’t be the thing holding me back from those. My being 40 with hobbies and a family will be 😂😂

Back