Ryzen 4 Reviews Are Out.

I mean....if you're a person that's ok upgrading from Nehalem.....you're not gonna be getting a new CPU before AM7. Just get the AM4 now!
The thing is, if I'd had a decent option to upgrade the CPU down the road I would have. But Intel changes sockets so that you can't. AM5 however is going to have some interesting options.

Still I'd probably be perfectly happy with AM4. But I'm also in no big rush. What to do....

The thing is, if I'd had a decent option to upgrade the CPU down the road I would have. But Intel changes sockets so that you can't. AM5 however is going to have some interesting options.

Still I'd probably be perfectly happy with AM4. But I'm also in no big rush. What to do....
FYI, I am very very much in the same boat. I am upgrading from a 960 that replaced a 930 i bought in 2010 right at the end of the 1366 socket lifespan. The 960 was the limit of my upgrade path. I chose then to spend less, and it cost me in the long run. I am choosing this time to invest in a rock solid mid-to-high end platform with a 7600x. The idea is I'll be able to use this platform over the next 5 years to scale up. AM4 is cheaper, sure, but you'll be capped at ddr4 and this year's best chips in the future.

All that said, I think it's totally viable to choose either path. But I can tell you that, having already made the splurge, I am very excited to build this new AM5 rig.

Another thing .. I've settled on the ASUS Prime line of boards, but I'm really unsure if it's worth it to splurge on the X670E. I don't think I'll ever need the extra m2 slots or the PCIe 5.0 speeds for anything other than the GPU... or will I? I have spent the better part of the last 3 weeks joyously catching up to speed on all things PC after being in the dark for 12 years, but on this one I'm just not sure. This platform is intended to last me the lifespan of AM5. What possible practical difference will it make for me if I were to go with the X670 instead of the X670E?

Having just got my 5900x a few months ago (thanks to whomever here linked it for $328), I can honestly say I'm proud I went that route instead of waiting for AM5.

Super happy with my CPU, and I expect it to last quite some time.

Just hoping a 4080 or 4090 won't make my CPU bottleneck

So tempting.
5800X3D $365

Newegg_5800X3D_Zipfest.png

Unless urgent or money to burn, I would wait until 13000 series is released by Intel, and prices may have to be corrected to a more palatable level on AMD side as well, including B650 board release.

I got 5800X3D, so I am good for a while, but for those who were waiting for years to get to next gen, makes most sense to wait a few more weeks and see where prices will settle.

Sigh. Im planing to finally upgrade from my i7 920 and I was really hoping Zen4 was going to be a no brainer. But these MoBo prices are discouraging. And then on the other hand AM4 is sitting there perfectly capable but at the end of it's upgrade road. But then would I ever actually upgrade the cpu?

Maybe I'll wait and see what the b650 boards look like.
You’re running a 14 year old CPU. Does upgrade path really matter? Even if you go AM5 by the time you’re ready for your next upgrade it would be long gone

Unless urgent or money to burn, I would wait until 13000 series is released by Intel, and prices may have to be corrected to a more palatable level on AMD side as well, including B650 board release.

I got 5800X3D, so I am good for a while, but for those who were waiting for years to get to next gen, makes most sense to wait a few more weeks and see where prices will settle.
Yeah I just wish 13th gen was already out so I could use those coupons on it. :(

Heh. I started in the 286 days. I remember paying $300 for a 3.5” floppy drive. So much is cheaper now, so much is equally expensive. We were spoiled with low cost options for a good while - now it’s ticking back up again.
I hear ya. I started with a packed in hell 286/12 when I joined the PCMR. Had an Atari 520ST prior to that.

Anyway, prices are going to stay high. Is what it is.

You dont need a 360mm rad to cool them it looks like. You can change some settings in the bios and get the same performance with lower power usage and temps by 20c! It is super easy to change too. I am shocked AMD didnt do this at all.

I really don't understand why they'd choose to ship with a profile that maxes temps at 95. There's gotta be a reason why, right?

That Gigabyte B650 Aero G looks interesting. Wonder if it is like the similar Gigabyte Intel board with 3 more M2 slots under that big heatsink?
Yeah it looks good. I'll guess on the price of the Aero...$199-259. I would imagine most of the B650E boards will start at $289 and go up. But now I'm getting greedy. I want MATX or ITX, with PCIE x16 5.0 slot and at least 1 PCIE 5.0 M.2. It seems the B650 only has the X16 slot as 5.0...

Having just got my 5900x a few months ago (thanks to whomever here linked it for $328), I can honestly say I'm proud I went that route instead of waiting for AM5.

Super happy with my CPU, and I expect it to last quite some time.

Just hoping a 4080 or 4090 won't make my CPU bottleneck
7k series is already showing that more performance is being extracted from the 3090 Ti. I assure you, 5k series will be capping the next gen. By how much is TBD, but it will be capped. The numbers don't lie.

7k series is already showing that more performance is being extracted from the 3090 Ti. I assure you, 5k series will be capping the next gen. By how much is TBD, but it will be capped. The numbers don't lie.
Depends on the resolution. Guess we will see how 4k goes when the 4090 and 7900XT come out.

I really don't understand why they'd choose to ship with a profile that maxes temps at 95. There's gotta be a reason why, right?
They will most likely lose out in single threaded and possibly multithreaded as well to raptor lake. It is basically turning on PBO and then some as default behavior and it still might not be enough. AMD could probably lower power by 20% and only lose a few % performance but they chose to push it close to the limit of the CPUs. Seems like the IHS is an issue as well based on der ba8er's results from delidding (about a 20 degree temperature drop).

And it can be hard to predict, we saw some jump with a 5800x3d even on a 2080TI

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1733...-96-mb-of-l3-3d-v-cache-designed-for-gamers/4

128832.png

Before the 5800x3d, we would have said obviously at 4K with a 2080Ti you GPU bottleneck you at 165 fps it seem, nope.

Some people did not thought that their 5900x-12900k were slowing down much a 6950xt when playing at 4k under 100 fps, :
https://geekawhat.com/amd-ryzen-9-7900x-review-architecture-performance-benchmarks/

Sometime around 15-%25% gain on a 6950xt going from a 5600x or 5900x to the 7900x while playing at 4K, on the 7xxx and 4xxx video card instead of being cherry-pick case it could become somewhat common, has game get better at using giant cache, giant core count and superbly strong CPU in general.

Attachments

• F1-2022-4K-Ultra-High-Radeon-RX-6950XT.jpg
    F1-2022-4K-Ultra-High-Radeon-RX-6950XT.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2
They will most likely lose out in single threaded and possibly multithreaded as well to raptor lake. It is basically turning on PBO and then some as default behavior and it still might not be enough. AMD could probably lower power by 20% and only lose a few % performance but they chose to push it close to the limit of the CPUs. Seems like the IHS is an issue as well based on der ba8er's results from delidding (about a 20 degree temperature drop).
I believe on of the youtube reviewers (maybe GN) mentioned the IHS being thicker to accommodate the LGA style socket and existing coolers, which in turn could affect thermal performance and heat transfer. But also I might be making that up, I dunno.

I believe on of the youtube reviewers (maybe GN) mentioned the IHS being thicker to accommodate the LGA style socket and existing coolers, which in turn could affect thermal performance and heat transfer. But also I might be making that up, I dunno.
Some delidding was done and found the IHS could be at least 1mm thinner.

Some people are speculating that the 3d cache chips will use some of that 1mm and those will have a thinner IHS but keep the same height overall.

All speculation of course.

PC gamer here who actually like's AMD CPU's and bought 8-10 Ryzen CPU's for my PC gaming pleasure for fun. I will be skipping this generation of AMD CPU's as of today's reviews.Looking forward to AMD GPU's
Quote myself from two days ago,apparently I am a liar and I caved into the new stuff. Replacing my 12900K PC Gaming rig with.
1664477628865.png

I would have had my shit today. But newegg looks like banned me forever at my address and no one else seems to have boards, if you have payment issue with them call your account gone, so be careful lmao. Even creating a new account as they told me to with different email got me banned lmao. Also Shit inventory it seems, or Newegg scalped it all lmao. I am ordering ram from kingston, processor comes in tomorrow from Bestbuy and powersupply from Amazon today and can't get a board unless I drive 3 hours to microcenter.

Might wait a bit for that lol.

Zen 4 feels like a dud to me. For gaming anyway, it doesn't seem to be that much better than a 5800X3D, and indeed sometimes worse. Combine with the lack of affordable motherboard options, it takes away any potential value there is in building a Zen 4 based system, and frankly value is what built up the Ryzen brand. The odd part of the stack to me is the 7600X and 7700X, but especially the first. Comments about $300 6-cores in 2022 aside, who is buying $400+ motherboards to then plop in a Ryzen 5 chip? It makes no sense. Yet often times it is the Ryzen 5 or 7 recommended for gamers. Strange launch.

I took a look at the X670 motherboards at my local Micro Center. Not impressed with the $600-$800 asking price for some boards and the north of $400 asking price for most of them. Maybe if they'd launched with some B-series boards too, but man, just no compelling value here at all to be had for gamers in my opinion.

Not saying that value is the only metric, but it does play a big factor when there are options. Frankly they might both be dead platforms at this stage, but a 5800X3D based AM4 platform at full maturity is a good path, but frankly so is Intel 12th gen which will still have an option to drop in a 13th gen in the future. About the only compelling argument I could see for AM5 platform at this stage is if you are the type to upgrade your CPU each gen with the fact they are going to support the socket through 2025.

I don't know, just not seeing a good reason to go with Zen 4 right now.

Last edited:
Zen 4 feels like a dud to me. For gaming anyway, it doesn't seem to be that much better than a 5800X3D, and indeed sometimes worse. Combine with the lack of affordable motherboard options, it takes away any potential value there is in building a Zen 4 based system, and frankly value is what built up the Ryzen brand. The odd part of the stack to me is the 7600X and 7700X, but especially the first. Comments about $300 6-cores in 2022 aside, who is buying $400+ motherboards to then plop in a Ryzen 5 chip? It makes no sense. Yet often times it is the Ryzen 5 or 7 recommended for gamers. Strange launch.

I took a look at the X670 motherboards at my local Micro Center. Not impressed with the $600-$800 asking price for some boards and the north of $400 asking price for most of them. Maybe if they'd launched with some B-series boards too, but man, just no compelling value here at all to be had for gamers in my opinion.
It seems there is a very steep early adopter tax for AMD systems and nVidia GPU's right now.

Last edited:
It seems there is a very steep early adaptor tax for AMD systems and nVidia GPU's right now.
Pretty much. Milk the early adopters time.

I will say I am also curious to see the results of the first time someone needs to clean the thermal paste off one of these and remount a cooler. Maybe just me, but feels like that's going to be messy with this IHS design.

Not saying that value is the only metric, but it does play a big factor when there are options. Frankly they might both be dead platforms at this stage, but a 5800X3D based AM4 platform at full maturity is a good path, but frankly so is Intel 12th gen which will still have an option to drop in a 13th gen in the future. About the only compelling argument I could see for AM5 platform at this stage is if you are the type to upgrade your CPU each gen with the fact they are going to support the socket through 2025.

I don't know, just not seeing a good reason to go with Zen 4 right now.
You can get one for less than 300. If you want bragging rights you gonna pay more and more. Asrock has 670e for less than 300 starting and decent one for 299.99. One thing I value is having the gurantee to just drop in a chip since it’s a brand new socket anyways.

You can get one for less than 300. If you want bragging rights you gonna pay more and more. Asrock has 670e for less than 300 starting and decent one for 299.99. One thing I value is having the gurantee to just drop in a chip since it’s a brand new socket anyways.
I keep saying it, but early adopters are getting in on a new platform that will have at least 3 but as many as 5-6 years of life span. Some people don't use that platform to upgrade, but others do. I, for one, cannot wait to build off this in the future.

I keep saying it, but early adopters are getting in on a new platform that will have at least 3 but as many as 5-6 years of life span. Some people don't use that platform to upgrade, but others do. I, for one, cannot wait to build off this in the future.
True I plan on dropping whatever the last chip this board supports down the road. May be one of the x3d models as they mature more in a few years. Giving me 5-6 year minimum or even longer. Other than selling my CPU and GPU and dropping in them to upgrade hate changing anything else out.

Back