Ryzen 4 Reviews Are Out.

I'm at a point where, 12 years after my last build, I'm ready for a fresh system with an upgrade path. These reviews have given me some pause, sure, but I'm all in on DDR5 regardless of whether I go Intel or AMD. If I were to choose Intel, even if Raptor Lake proves out to have dramatically better raw scores, it's a dead end platform with no upgrade path once they move away from LGA1700 next year. AMD, meanwhile, has committed support for AM5 through 2025. Even if they clip that to 2024, I still get another generation's worth of upgrade path in the future for my CPU and a competent, modern platform for any other upgrades I'd like to plug in.

Basically, I still just don't see what the issue is with committing to an AM5 build on the ground level. I understand there isn't value here for generational upgraders, but that has never been (and will never be) what I'm interested in. I'm the kind of guy that buys a car and drives it into the ground. Considering that, the biggest problem I can see is mobo pricing and, potentially, mobo quality. That's a concern, sure, but I'd happily pay a $100-200 premium to get in on a platform's ground floor. In the end, isn't that what we always do in the name of brand new tech?

I'm running on an Intel CPU from 2017. Will probably go 7950x and upgrade to a X3D model in a few years with the next gen CPU. I am viewing this as much more future proof platform than Intel and AM5 should have long enough legs where I know I can upgrade to the next gen CPU without upgrading the entire system.

Just as I thought.

They limited the clockspeed and disabled Overclocking the 5800X3D in order to not make these look bad.

These should have been 3D Vcache chips by default. AMD is just trying to milk as much money as possible by throttling generational improvements to the bare minimum.

Yes, if you need a new build now - AM5 is a great investment for the today and the future. Just look at the longevity for AM4!

I built a 5800X3D rig earlier this year when NO ONE was buying any hardware and it turns out it wasn't a bad choice. The stuff I was buying that miners were blowing out is now worth a couple hundred more (AX1600i PSUs, open box Dark Hero mobo)...but I saved nothing as I bought a RTX 3090 Ti...but let's not talk about that part. LOL

However, if I was building today I'd definitely get an X670E and roll. Look towards the future for a *3D chip upgrade. The 7850X or whatever CPU will always have demand. Just like my 5800X had demand when I went 5800X3D.

I'm running on an Intel CPU from 2017. Will probably go 7950x and upgrade to a X3D model in a few years with the next gen CPU. I am viewing this as much more future proof platform than Intel and AM5 should have long enough legs where I know I can upgrade to the next gen CPU without upgrading the entire system.

Exactly. Some of the negative reaction here feels rather overblown. I understand the raised eyebrows over temps under load, but what happens in a month when Intel drops processors with the same issue? Intel and AMD both have been raising temps over the last few generations, if I'm not mistaken. Why are we supposed to assume Intel is gonna buck that trend when AMD didn't?

Yes, if you need a new build now - AM5 is a great investment for the today and the future. Just look at the longevity for AM4!

I built a 5800X3D rig earlier this year when NO ONE was buying any hardware and it turns out it wasn't a bad choice. The stuff I was buying that miners were blowing out is now worth a couple hundred more (AX1600i PSUs, open box Dark Hero mobo)...but I saved nothing as I bought a RTX 3090 Ti...but let's not talk about that part. LOL

However, if I was building today I'd definitely get an X670E and roll. Look towards the future for a *3D chip upgrade. The 7850X or whatever CPU will always have demand. Just like my 5800X had demand when I went 5800X3D.
Absolutely this. Nab a basic 7600x now, roll with it till next Christmas, and then use it in a new build for my boys while upgrading my own system with the latest and greatest.

Where to pre order this new shit? I thought Microcenter would have it, but they don't.

Where to pre order this new shit? I thought Microcenter would have it, but they don't.
I can't find it anywhere. I'm assuming they will go live tomorrow AM. If you're lucky enough to have a Microcenter around you, I would call them directly and get information from someone on staff.

Would anyone reccoment upgrading from a 9900k to one of these? I only game at 4k 144Hz. I run my 9900k at 5Ghz with an XMP profile on the RAM at 3600Mhz.

I have a 5800X and game at 1440p...if it didn't require a complete rebuild with a new mobo, memory etc I might have been tempted...but overall I love the 5800X and still have the 5800X3D as an upgrade option...I'll wait for Zen 5

Would anyone reccoment upgrading from a 9900k to one of these? I only game at 4k 144Hz. I run my 9900k at 5Ghz with an XMP profile on the RAM at 3600Mhz.
As of right now, there is no game that will get a huge uplift when it comes to 4k 120hz+ gaming. You will be entirely GPU limited.

You could even upgrade to a 12900k or 5600x and with most games would not see a huge difference at 4k betwen the 2 CPU's. I am not sure but It is possible even the 9900k would be GPU limited at 4k with a 3090ti. But I would research that though.

So, how do you keep your rig quiet with this thing? It seems like it will keep getting hotter by design so your cooler will go ahead and just max out, right? All the reviews I'm seeing are max fan speed, and I'm not going to have an F-18 super hornet ready for takeoff next to my head while I'm playing a game.

So, how do you keep your rig quiet with this thing? It seems like it will keep getting hotter by design so your cooler will go ahead and just max out, right? All the reviews I'm seeing are max fan speed, and I'm not going to have an F-18 super hornet ready for takeoff next to my head while I'm playing a game.
Custom water cooling.

Custom water cooling.

I mean, I'm all for it and I've been itching to do rigid tubing but it seems like if you run these CPUs noise normalized to anything last gen, it barely would edge ahead because it lost all of its headroom.

Mirocenter has everything on the site now. I'm disappointed in the prices for this generation. Microcenter has 9 boards only right now. There are no boards between $300 and $500. The MSI $300 board does not have pci-e 5.0. There are sub $300 boards, but they are all Asrock. If you splurge to get a $500 board, then a 7600X, and a cheap $200 32GB DDR5 kit then you are at $1000 already and you don't even have a cooler yet. I used to be an AMD fan, but they have turned themselves into Intel now. It's pretty sickening really. You can get a 12600k and the DDR4 variation of the MSI Z690-A Pro for $450 or so, around $480 if you get the wifi version, and then reuse your DDR4. Half the price of going AM5 and you get most of the performance. Does AMD really expect people to spend this much? It's not that I don't have the cash, it's just hard to justify the extra expense.

Custom water cooling.

I mean, I'm all for it and I've been itching to do rigid tubing but it seems like if you run these CPUs noise normalized to anything last gen, it barely would edge ahead because it lost all of its headroom.
Are you always running your CPU at 100% load or something?

I find this slightly funny - I’m using an overclocked 3960X that puts the power numbers on Zen4 to shame; don’t have issues keeping it cool on air. Now if I load it up for a render or something sure- it gets hot, and in the summer it’ll warm things up- but the gross majority of the time it’s not pulling that kind of load or pushing much heat. It’s not like modern CPU are locked to full TDP

Mirocenter has everything on the site now. I'm disappointed in the prices for this generation. Microcenter has 9 boards only right now. There are no boards between $300 and $500. The MSI $300 board does not have pci-e 5.0. There are sub $300 boards, but they are all Asrock. If you splurge to get a $500 board, then a 7600X, and a cheap $200 32GB DDR5 kit then you are at $1000 already and you don't even have a cooler yet. I used to be an AMD fan, but they have turned themselves into Intel now. It's pretty sickening really. You can get a 12600k and the DDR4 variation of the MSI Z690-A Pro for $450 or so, around $480 if you get the wifi version, and then reuse your DDR4. Half the price of going AM5 and you get most of the performance. Does AMD really expect people to spend this much? It's not that I don't have the cash, it's just hard to justify the extra expense.

This is ridiculous. I am sorry, but the last build I bought was the 2500K system. The MB cost me $120 and lasted over 10 years.. Looks like the time has changed and there are currently no combo discounts at MC.

My MC only has 2 x670 board. The Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme for $700 and the Elite for $290. It is ridcous that a nearly $300 board doesn't have a PCI 5.0 slots. The $700 Xtreme doesn't even look that impressive either for $700.

And better question- what cooler to get for this thing?

If I had to guess, AMD will release a full lineup of Ryzen 7000x3D chips. The 5800x3D was more of a tech demo and was designed to steal some thunder from Intel more than anything.

I would fully expect AMD to release a 7950x3D to kick Intel in the nads.
I don't know about that. The 7950X is really not a gaming chip. I would imagine that they will release the 7700X as the 7800X3D again, and kick Intel in the nads with a midcore part. The issue seems to be the 2 CCDs in a lot of games and applications. I suspect we may see the 7600X3D pop out as well, just with less cache than the 7800X3D (or 7700X3DTi Extreme or whatever they call it).

The cost of the 7950X and even the 7900X with 3D Stacked Cache might be stupid. Whereas, they can probably still make money on the single CCD chips and kick Intel's ass.

Who knows...

yup... even "budget" 7600x is 105w tdp and no included cooler.. Curious as to what the regular 7600 will be when it gets released
I'm actually more interested in what they do with their APU parts this generation. Wonder what the temps will be with the Core CPU cranking at 95C and a "discreet" on die RDNA Video Card pushing frames.

However, when the lower end stuff does come out it will likely be frequency diminished and probably released as a 105W part. Just with curbed max clocks, maybe less on die cache. I suspect a decent air cooler will work, decent as in stock AMD. Nothing crazy required for a non top tier part. If 95C is the new normal, these will just hit their thermal thresholds faster and sit at lower frequencies.

Is a CPU / Motherboard upgrade worth it in my case?

Current rig:
9700K cpu
Z390 mobo
32GB DDR-4
RTX-3080 10GB

Playing @ 3440 X 1440res 120hz on my Alienware 3420DW

I mostly play World of Warcraft. But also some shooters like Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefield 5 and 2042 and maybe get Halo Infinite once CoOp is out.

Also looking forward to Diablo IV and might try New World MMO

Thoughts?

Is a CPU / Motherboard upgrade worth it in my case?

Current rig:
9700K cpu
Z390 mobo
32GB DDR-4
RTX-3080 10GB

Playing @ 3440 X 1440res 120hz on my Alienware 3420DW

I mostly play World of Warcraft. But also some shooters like Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefield 5 and 2042 and maybe get Halo Infinite once CoOp is out.

Also looking forward to Diablo IV and might try New World MMO

Thoughts?
It doesn't feel as though AM5 is the answer as a generational step up... at least, not at launch. Platform adoption right now is pretty expensive and comes with some compromise. If I were in your position, I'd wait until the dust settles after the Intel announcements before I start considering my next step.

1664286418663.png

Not a TERRIBLE price. but $600 for a board. FML...I may get it anyway. LOL. Incoming AM4 flash sale!

It doesn't feel as though AM5 is the answer as a generational step up... at least, not at launch. Platform adoption right now is pretty expensive and comes with some compromise. If I were in your position, I'd wait until the dust settles after the Intel announcements before I start considering my next step.

Yeah I agree. I would be eyeing the 13700k most likely if I go Intel.

Is a 13700k + Z790 board a huge upgrade from my current setup in gaming? Or not really, and it's mostly video card doing the brunt of the work for me?

Or in today's world of gaming, is it best to wait like 5 generations between CPU / Motherboard upgrades if your mainly a gamer?

Maybe just wait for the Intel 14's next year?

I think 7600x isn't worthwhile until b650 comes out.

I think the temp issue is overblown. AMD had to do this to be competitive with LGA Intel. As long as the frequency doesn't throttle at 95 which it doesn't it doesn't matter. Raptor Lake will be worse.

All aboard the RDNA3 train. CHOO CHOO!
keeping 5800x for now... Maybe a few months...hah
I too will hold off for now. Also think RDNA3 is the real announcement to wait for.

Exactly. Some of the negative reaction here feels rather overblown. I understand the raised eyebrows over temps under load, but what happens in a month when Intel drops processors with the same issue? Intel and AMD both have been raising temps over the last few generations, if I'm not mistaken. Why are we supposed to assume Intel is gonna buck that trend when AMD didn't?
Exactly.

I think the temp issue is overblown
By some almost certainly:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-7600x/24.html

Looking artificial maximum power consumption under synthetic prime95 type of benchmark can give strange idea.

A stock 7600x does not seem do get much over 45watt while gaming for example, it is not more power hunger than a Ryzen 2700x while gaming with the PBO on, at stock we are talking 12600 non ke level:

power-games.png

For many things, not much change from a 5600x it seem, around 10w doing Office type task, 30w photoshop, 35 premiere, 65 After effects

Last edited:
God fuck those MB prices....They weren't kidding they were going to fleece early adopters.

I personally would wait until later.

This is ridiculous. I am sorry, but the last build I bought was the 2500K system. The MB cost me $120 and lasted over 10 years.. Looks like the time has changed and there are currently no combo discounts at MC.
LOT more in the boards now than there were then. This has been a pattern for a while, never mind inflation. Motherboards now have a great deal more components on them than they did in the Sandy Bridge era.
That is a terrible price for 3 components. The CPU is not even top tier. I paid less then that for a 3950x, MB and memory when it was released.
Inflation sucks. That's a lot for an ITX board though.
$600 for a motherboard. LOL never.

I'm a $175 to $250 price mobo guy.
Good luck. For better or worse, that's the budget range now it seems - although 600 for an ITX board is stupid.

I've spent more on boards - but high end EATX HEDT only.
Haha that Asus tax is unreal, what a rip-off.
All of the x670E boards are in that range it seems. MSI, Gigabyte, etc. Z790 looks the same too.

Hell, MSI has far more expensive ones in the Godlike.

For all intents and purposes HEDT is dead. X670E is HEDT these days, IMO. So stretching to $500+ with that type of board isn't absolutely horrible. I'd love to see true HEDT return!

LOT more in the boards now than there were then. This has been a pattern for a while, never mind inflation. Motherboards now have a great deal more components on them than they did in the Sandy Bridge era.

Inflation sucks. That's a lot for an ITX board though.

Good luck. For better or worse, that's the budget range now it seems - although 600 for an ITX board is stupid.

All of the x670E boards are in that range it seems. MSI, Gigabyte, etc. Z790 looks the same too.

Hell, MSI has far more expensive ones in the Godlike.
They all don't have their ful lline-ups out, only saw 3 gigabyte boards up for sale, for example. And trust me Asus will put out the Apex at like $1500 or something ridiculous. The extreme is already 1K.

For all intents and purposes HEDT is dead. X670E is HEDT these days, IMO. So stretching to $500+ with that type of board isn't absolutely horrible. I'd love to see true HEDT return!
It's coming back. I'm pretty damned positive from what I'm seeing and hearing - just going to be a bit, and may be more expensive still.

Core counts and RAM quantities is one thing - but PCIE lanes and expansion options will still have a need to exist, just smaller market still. I'm betting we see Sapphire Rapids come out with a HEDT (even if labeled Xeon-X or something) platform, and then we'll see a ThreadRipper release from AMD to counter it. Hoping they're not Pro/Xeon-W level though, as that gets... nuts.

They all don't have their ful lline-ups out, only saw 3 gigabyte boards up for sale, for example. And trust me Asus will put out the Apex at like $1500 or something ridiculous. The extreme is already 1K.
IIRC, I saw a a leaked price of $1600 for the Godlike. Jesus. My Zenith II Extreme Alpha was $900.

IIRC, I saw a a leaked price of $1600 for the Godlike. Jesus. My Zenith II Extreme Alpha was $900.
Yeah its getting nuts. Wouldn't be surprised if their water cooling based board was 2K. Profit margins must be pretty fat over there.

Back