Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

That's a lot of risk that you don't have to take for nothing.

I've done it years ago with a watercooled 5960X build. It's safe. The temperatures don't just spike to max junction. It takes some time to heat up the block.

Here's it done now with my 3970X build - it's alive! :D

build3a.jpg

build3b.jpg

The board cycled through some boot codes for around ~30 seconds, and then went into the bios. I'd say the system was on for about ~1 minute, and the temperature was pretty stable at ~50C. I could have looked through the bios a bit more for a few minutes, but I just wanted to verify that what I had connected was working. All looks good.

Unfortunately it'll still be ~2 weeks before I actually start using this since I'm waiting on 90 degree fittings that I need to measure out first to get the proper extension height, etc. I'm going with soft tubing but going to make it as clean / hard looking as possible. No plans to watercool the GPU either since it is late in the RTX release cycle. Maybe the next GPU I get will be water cooled, and maybe I'll do hard tubing then too.

EDITED TO ADD: ShopBLT has 204 TR3960Xs and 68 TR3970Xs in stock

Someone...and I'm not saying who...made a lot of progress last night/this morning...after working on it until 5am today

he re-made 3 lines, routing them better, removed them all, painted my tubes, reinstalled them, and now that person is leak testing their build...

IMAG0766.jpg

So...as I'm getting closer to completing the build I decided to start 3D Printing logos of the companies whose products I'm using in the build...

I already have the MSI Dragon, Ryzen, EVGA, Aorus, and Corsair logos in .stl format but I don't have a Bitspower logo...

I searched online a few days ago and couldn't one for them anywhere so I went to the site hoping they had one available for downloading (but there isn't one listed on their site)

I sent them feedback via their contact page and basically stated, "It'd be nice if you had the .stl file for your dragon logo on your web site so people who use your products can print your logo to attach it to the case"

They responded and said they don't have an STL file and inquired about my build, so I gave them the specs and sent them a couple in-progress pics.

They responded via email this morning asking me what dimensions I would like the logo to be made in.

I assume they are going to laser cut one in the size I need and mail it to me...pretty nice! (just an assumption, but that's the gist I got from the email response)

So...as I'm getting closer to completing the build I decided to start 3D Printing logos of the companies whose products I'm using in the build...

I already have the MSI Dragon, Ryzen, EVGA, Aorus, and Corsair logos in .stl format but I don't have a Bitspower logo...

I searched online a few days ago and couldn't one for them anywhere so I went to the site hoping they had one available for downloading (but there isn't one listed on their site)

I sent them feedback via their contact page and basically stated, "It'd be nice if you had the .stl file for your dragon logo on your web site so people who use your products can print your logo to attach it to the case"

They responded and said they don't have an STL file and inquired about my build, so I gave them the specs and sent them a couple in-progress pics.

They responded via email this morning asking me what dimensions I would like the logo to be made in.

I assume they are going to laser cut one in the size I need and mail it to me...pretty nice! (just an assumption, but that's the gist I got from the email response)

I don't claim to understand why you are doing all the logos, but that is pretty damned excellent customer service!

Reactions: N4CR
like this
And now there's not only a 3990X but also a 3980X (48c/96c) announced.

Unfortunately, no pricing information as yet. I expect it to be at least $2,599 for the 3980X and $2,999 for the 3990X. However, that might even be optimistic on my part.

And now there's not only a 3990X but also a 3980X (48c/96c) announced.

Yeah those are very niche and for ultra creator studios. I cant think of a single home user, even professional that would benefit from 64 cores. I'm not limiting a persons ability to make use of but software just doesnt scale that high. Multi thousand dollar creation packages might. For instance your not going to see a performance gain on Davinci resolve 16 past the 3960x, atleast for the price difference, especially since resolve uses gpu like 75% of all operations. The 70x and 60x are almost neck and neck in top tier softwares. The 48 and 64 will be great if you are running for instance a Davinci group project with say 10 editors and a local editor working on the workstation. A typical type scenario for a production house. If my son was older I would train him in resolve some could work on our videos together but hes only 6 :D

64 cores is super nice but probably $4000 minimum.

However, I just started to learn how to use Blender and I have no idea how 3d modeling would scale for a home user.

Those who do not own threadripper 3, please do not get bummed because 48 and 64 are coming. Trust us in here that have the 24 and 32. They are fucking monster CPUs and I mean it.

Oh hell from the sound of it, Zen 3 (4000 series) is gonna smoke Threadripper 3.

Last edited:
So does my local Microcenter. I figured with the improved yields, it wouldn't take the 3 months it did for the 3900X to become widely available.

My el cheapo Asrock AB350 pro4 mb's has the bios update for a 3950x. I was thinking about a 3600 though.

They are probably part of the big shipment that AMD sent out to Best Buy as well. I'm getting my 3950X from BB on Wednesday.

I am so tempted, but I generally wait 2.5-3 years between upgrades at a minimum and Ryzen 3 should be out as I hit that 3 year mark. :)

My el cheapo Asrock AB350 pro4 mb's has the bios update for a 3950x. I was thinking about a 3600 though.

It will be a sidegrade from your 1700 @ 3.8 ghz. Wait until you can afford a 3700X (that would be about 30% faster), or wait for Ryzen 4000 series to pick up an 8-core ( would be closer to 40-50% faster).

It will be a sidegrade from your 1700 @ 3.8 ghz. Wait until you can afford a 3700X (that would be about 30% faster), or wait for Ryzen 4000 series to pick up an 8-core ( would be closer to 40-50% faster).
I do not use all the cores. I use it for gaming and browsing. I figure I can OC the 3600 pretty good.

I've done it years ago with a watercooled 5960X build. It's safe. The temperatures don't just spike to max junction. It takes some time to heat up the block.

Here's it done now with my 3970X build - it's alive! :D

View attachment 212449

View attachment 212450

The board cycled through some boot codes for around ~30 seconds, and then went into the bios. I'd say the system was on for about ~1 minute, and the temperature was pretty stable at ~50C. I could have looked through the bios a bit more for a few minutes, but I just wanted to verify that what I had connected was working. All looks good.

Unfortunately it'll still be ~2 weeks before I actually start using this since I'm waiting on 90 degree fittings that I need to measure out first to get the proper extension height, etc. I'm going with soft tubing but going to make it as clean / hard looking as possible. No plans to watercool the GPU either since it is late in the RTX release cycle. Maybe the next GPU I get will be water cooled, and maybe I'll do hard tubing then too.

Now that's a hawt date.

NJ

No it won't the st will be a lot better and the Mt will be about the same. A 3600 should be at least 30% faster then his 1700 in gaming

I do not use all the cores. I use it for gaming and browsing. I figure I can OC the 3600 pretty good.

3600 is NOT a side grade.

Anyone commenting that a 1700 is the same is ignorant. And I don't mean that in the ass hole sense. But again I reiterate, people just don't realize how much 30+ MB of cache is for $179. 3600 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than 1700

3600 is NOT a side grade.

Anyone commenting that a 1700 is the same is ignorant. And I don't mean that in the ass hole sense. But again I reiterate, people just don't realize how much 30+ MB of cache is for $179. 3600 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than 1700

In gaming, yes, but not in threaded apps. The extra cores close most of the gap. Bit given his primary use is gaming, the 3600 will be quite a bump, though I'd go for the 3600X. For gaming, letting the processors regulate boost themselves vs ocing usually provides more performance and the 3600X will self clock higher.

Fan grills? Wow. I'm flashing back to the early 2000's.

I've probably posted 20 pics of my in-progress build and in probably 99% of the ones with fans in the picture, they had grills on them...and you're just now noticing?

okay.....

Fan grills? Wow. I'm flashing back to the early 2000's.
Not enough biohazard or radiation symbol ones for that lol.

If you don't use grills, you may not have a finger to actually point at the one you picked ;)
I have some in my S340 so my EPS cables don't hit the fan blades lol.

Nice system though! How do you like the msi board?

like this
If you don't use grills, you may not have a finger to actually point at the one you picked ;)

On the desktop it's fairly safe....

I had a screaming fan I took out of a Supermicro server take a fingertip off a while back though. Those things are dangerous.

I was testing it, and it torqued so much in my hand when it came on, that I lost my grip and stuck my finger tip in it.

like this

I have some in my S340 so my EPS cables don't hit the fan blades lol.

Nice system though! How do you like the msi board?

It seems okay, though I am not pleased at the voltage going to the CPU when I first powered it up. (1.49v WTF MSI?!?!?!)

Had to drop it down to 1.35V manually because Auto just wants to FRY the damn thing, evidently...

BIOS was supposedly a highlight of the board but I am not pleased (though it's the first MSI board I've used since the P67 recall)

Maybe if I get used to it I'll like it more....

Memory at XMP settings was like 1-click. That was very easy and worked like a champ.

As you may tell, I decided to YOLO it and load Windows (in progress)

I leak tested it yesterday from 1230 until 1500 today. the only reason I was leak testing it again was I completed assembly and wanted to check in case I bumped a tube and didn't realize it

On the desktop it's fairly safe....

I had a screaming fan I took out of a Supermicro server take a fingertip off a while back though. Those things are dangerous.

I was testing it, and it torqued so much in my hand when it came on, that I lost my grip and stuck my finger tip in it.

I had a delta do basically the same thing and ended up with 9 stiches and nerve damage on my left index finger...makes typing "fun"

I've probably posted 20 pics of my in-progress build and in probably 99% of the ones with fans in the picture, they had grills on them...and you're just now noticing?

okay.....

It's more obvious with the RGB lights on. The other picture you have with the system off is also super close up and at a different angle where they aren't as obvious. I don't think I saw all or even any of the previous ones. If I did, I was obviously not paying close attention.

Fair enough.

I had a delta do basically the same thing and ended up with 9 stiches and nerve damage on my left index finger...makes typing "fun"

Yikes!

I guess I lucked out. I have no perceptible permanent damage. I caused a mess by bleeding all over my server though, and it hurt like a bitch, and took a while to heal.

This MSI BIOS is a dumpster fire containing a dumpster fire.

Only slightly less annoying is the 8TB Superman hard drives I have installed...

Superman drives?! WTF are they?!?!

The only time one shows up is when the other disappears...go figure. Oh...one of the LEDs on the Raystorm Pro block died 10 minutes into use...of course I'd have to remove everything to get to it to remove it and replace it...I'll just unplug the SATA power connector.

Those annoyances aside...the read/write of the Sabrent NVME drives isn't horrible. Not great either...but I can live with it.

CDM602.jpg

My CPU bounces around between 4GHz and 4.2GHz (it did drop momentarily to 3.8GHz but it's been pretty solidly at 4 or above since I powered it up using stock settings except for the INSANE voltage MSI puts to the CPU when "Auto" is selected...srsly...WTF are they thinking? I don't need 1.49V nor would I ever choose it.

Any benches you want me to run?

This MSI BIOS is a dumpster fire containing a dumpster fire.

Only slightly less annoying is the 8TB Superman hard drives I have installed...

Superman drives?! WTF are they?!?!

The only time one shows up is when the other disappears...go figure. Oh...one of the LEDs on the Raystorm Pro block died 10 minutes into use...of course I'd have to remove everything to get to it to remove it and replace it...I'll just unplug the SATA power connector.

Those annoyances aside...the read/write of the Sabrent NVME drives isn't horrible. Not great either...but I can live with it.

View attachment 212894

My CPU bounces around between 4GHz and 4.2GHz (it did drop momentarily to 3.8GHz but it's been pretty solidly at 4 or above since I powered it up using stock settings except for the INSANE voltage MSI puts to the CPU when "Auto" is selected...srsly...WTF are they thinking? I don't need 1.49V nor would I ever choose it.

Any benches you want me to run?
My gigabyte does this to my 3960x thing tries to feed it 1.5 v core on pbo to run 4.3. I don't know if it's an amd thing or my mb.

I'm thinking theses 7nm chips can take more v core then we think or a lot of people's chips are going to die being how high mb like to feed these things

Well it turns out MS decided to shove the 1909 cock down my throat so I'm sitting here waiting for them to nut so I can get back to configuring it to not do that again.

Well it turns out MS decided to shove the 1909 cock down my throat so I'm sitting here waiting for them to nut so I can get back to configuring it to not do that again.

Think you should return that juicy jizz spewing board and get something that is nice and clean like a Gigabyte

I havent had a problem since I plopped my chip in the socket like a month ago.

Back