Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

If you want a 3960x and are in the SF Bay Area, central computers has a number in stock again.

Looped cinebench or CPU-z stress test, they're both similar with CPU-z hitting 1-2C higher. Prime95 is a power virus and doesn't mimic any real world load I've ever run. Everything else I do runs cooler than that. The biggest stress I put on the system is photogrammetry which load both the cpu and gpu 100%, but I haven't run any of that yet.

You always want to test with a worst case scenario, to make sure you are 24/7 stable.

I'd argue, if your system can't pass 48 hours of continuous Prime 95, it isn't stable.

Best Buy on the Google store has 3950x as of this post. Got one finally.

edit: oos

I'd hold off on BestBuy. After stating TWICE that I'd be receiving a refund this week for the lost delivery, I never received it.

Then today, I received another phonecall from BestBuy stating I would get a refund...

Smells to me like they're delaying so that my credit card statement arrives before they issue the refund. With my bank, if you pay the card off while there's a disputed charge on it, you accept the disputed charge and cannot be refunded the money...

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Around 1000 euros for a preorder in Europe. :(
3900X dropped now at 600 euros but unsure for delivery. Seems some say it's available and in fact it is still not so you'll get it in 2 weeks or 2 months.
In France it may be 2 months because everything is on strike for the months to come like it is every 5 years of so.

I'm serious. Having a 24/7 stable system has nothing to do with testing against expected workloads.

When you do that you might have something stable most of the time, but down the road either you exceed your expected workloads and have instability, or you have one of those random really raee failures even at the level you have tested against.

The only way to ensure you have a stable system is to throw the worst possible thing at it, and do it for much longer than you think you'll need, and do it at worst case ambient temps during the summer.

If you don't do that, you have half-assed it.

I'm serious. Having a 24/7 stable system has nothing to do with testing against expected workloads.

When you do that you might have something stable most of the time, but down the road either you exceed your expected workloads and have instability, or you have one of those random really raee failures even at the level you have tested against.

The only way to ensure you have a stable system is to throw the worst possible thing at it, and do it for much longer than you think you'll need, and do it at worst case ambient temps during the summer.

True.
People will do what they want. I just hope they post if they have a crash in the middle of something important so we can laugh.

Seriously, I just push the work through and if I don't blue screen - I'm good. Maybe a quick IBT and watch everything thermal throttle for overclock stability but that's all I bother with. If it does blue screen, step the multiplier down. Everyone has their standards, so I half -assed it. Yours just seem a bit excessive to me, that's all. I'm not engineering anything critical, what are you designing an H bomb for Iran over there?

God you remember those hahaha

View attachment 207132

Anyways since you brought up tornadoes I have actual Vantec (delta) tornadoes in 80 and 92mm. I cant find a single use for these psychotic beast fans.

I literally have boxes of fans laying around. There are more off picture.
View attachment 207134 View attachment 207135 View attachment 207136 View attachment 207137 View attachment 207138

Hehe, reminds me of college where I used to piss off my roomate with my loud PC.

I can't remember the name of the heatsink I had on my Socket A Athlon. It was some sort of low-run semi-custom Swiftech thing, with a thick copper base, and pegs that screwed into it serving as pins.

I had a 7krpm 80mm Delta, if memory serves, blowing down on that thing.

Been too long though. The details are hazy.

Edit:

It may have been a Swiftech MCXC370. I can't really remember, but it looks about right (but smaller than I remember it being, but that could just be because it was huge for the time, but small by modern standards :p )

mc31.jpg

I definitely did not use the stock fan though. I replaced it with a noisy fast Delta.

Edit 2:

That was definitely wrong. The Swiftech MCX462+ looks more like it :p Or whatever version of this CPU Cooler was on my Socket A. This is the closest my googling is going to get me for now.

s462_mounted_angle.jpg

Same statement about the fan goes. I replaced with a noisy Delta my roommate hated at the time, and I would have hated today.

Last edited:
Around 1000 euros for a preorder in Europe. :(
3900X dropped now at 600 euros but unsure for delivery. Seems some say it's available and in fact it is still not so you'll get it in 2 weeks or 2 months.
In France it may be 2 months because everything is on strike for the months to come like it is every 5 years of so.

No it isn't. It's 870 euros. I just checked. Quit posting false information.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
True.
People will do what they want. I just hope they post if they have a crash in the middle of something important so we can laugh.

I usually go with 24 hours, but why stop at 48 when you could do a week?

Reactions: Mega6
like this
I'm too lazy to OC now. After I updated my BIOS I have no idea what my CPU or memory is running at.

My 3970x even with stock vcore the temps get too high after an extended period of stress testing with a noctua TR and two fans, I guess water cooling or keeping the case window open is the only option. That's with 7 noctua 120mm fans in the case.

No it isn't. It's 870 euros. I just checked. Quit posting false information.
That's new. Where ?
Amazon.fr : 1149,0€
ldlc.com (owns materiel) : 999€
rueducommerce.fr (owns for now topachat) : 1114.99€
If you're telling me ebay this is a no go.

I need french VTA not some reseller in Czech Republic who doesn't even know how to manage european VTA conversion. That means I pay 20% less on the french price because I declare it for my business.
I always have trouble with this even on European resellers on french Amazon who do not comply. Amazon replies : not their problem. Normally it's illegal but it seems nobody cares.

Last edited:
AMD announced 3950X at 749 $. That means with 1 euro = 0.90 dollar today, it should be at 674 euros before applying VTA. That should make 809 euros french VTA included. It's like 200 to 300 more than expected. Who steals the extra ?

January schedule price drop.

3900x are in good supply now and no longer king in AMD line up.
93% of the chiplets are working on 8 cores and full cache, and it's getting better every day. 3900X is double chiplet junk. The better the chiplets produced are, the less 3900X you get. And there's huge competition for those faulty chiplets : 3960X and 3500X/3600/3600X.

93% of the chiplets are working on 8 cores and full cache, and it's getting better every day. 3900X is double chiplet junk. The better the chiplets produced are, the less 3900X you get. And there's huge competition for those faulty chiplets : 3960X and 3500X/3600/3600X.
I doubt amd is uesing junk dies on the 3960x I would imagine they are 100% working dies they cut off to sell at 1500 or sever dies that don't make the cut.

Hour Trip to Microcenter and didn't get the 3960X even though website said they had some. Hopefully can get a 3960X soon or considering dual epyc instead.

Hour Trip to Microcenter and didn't get the 3960X even though website said they had some. Hopefully can get a 3960X soon or considering dual epyc instead.

I like Epyc, but they are all clocked pretty low, making them less useful for workstations than Threadripper.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Reactions: mikeo
like this
AMD announced 3950X at 749 $. That means with 1 euro = 0.90 dollar today, it should be at 674 euros before applying VTA. That should make 809 euros french VTA included. It's like 200 to 300 more than expected. Who steals the extra ?

The people forced to read your posts deserve compensation don't they?

Last edited:
Got my 3960x all put together with custom rigid water cooling.. I was unable to test it prior to doing the wcing because I did not have a cooler to put on it.. well its all built and power it on for the first time and good to go, I get post and all seems fine.. except its not recognizing my m.2 drive. I put it in another m.2 slot.. no go (the 2 slots by the pcie-16 slot).. This board has a 3rd veritcal standing m.2 slot, so I put it in there and the board recognizes it there... its a samsung evo 850 drive (also tried a crucial mx500 drive with same results) in an asus rog strig str4 -e gaming motherboard. I put the latest bios on it as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try? I hope the board is not bad, what a nightmare if so.

Last edited:
Got my 3960x all put together with custom rigid water cooling.. I was unable to test it prior to doing the wcing because I did not have a cooler to put on it.. well its all built and power it on for the first time and good to go, I get post and all seems fine.. except its not recognizing my m.2 drive. I put it in another m.2 slot.. no go (the 2 slots by the pcie-16 slot).. This board has a 3rd veritcal standing m.2 slot, so I put it in there and the board recognizes it there... its a samsung evo 950 drive (also tried a crucial mx500 drive with same results) in an asus rog strig str4 -e gaming motherboard. I put the latest bios on it as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try? I hope the board is not bad, what a nightmare if so.

Is that drive m.2 SATA not PCIE? I know only the chipset can do SATA over m.2 so you have to plug it into whichever slot is wired to the chipset.

Is that drive m.2 SATA not PCIE? I know only the chipset can do SATA over m.2 so you have to plug it into whichever slot is wired to the chipset.

hmm, not sure.. it says m.2 nvme on the drive itself.. the manual for the motherboard lists the same type of drives it supports in all 3 slots too, it lists For M.2_1 & M.2_2 (Type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 / 22110 M.2)Use the bundled M.2 screws to secure the M.2. (that is the m.2s by the pci-e 16x slots) and the For M.2_3 (Type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 / 22110 M.2), which is the vertical port.. the one where it sees the drive.

**correction, my drive is an m.2 samsung evo 850, not 950. So I think that is a SATA m.2 drive.. so SATA ones will not work in those two slots? I don't have any spare non m.2 sata to try in it. I will run to best buy and pick up a samsung 970 plus m.2 and try that when they open.

Last edited:
Pull the CPU sounds like a bad seating.. or check the mounting pressure might need to tighten the block.

Or if it's just the m2 slots and everything else works just get a pcie m2 holder

Pull the CPU sounds like a bad seating.. or check the mounting pressure might need to tighten the block.

Or if it's just the m2 slots and everything else works just get a pcie m2 holder

yeah I thought about a bad mount also.. I did follow the direction and use the torque wrench but that does not mean that is noy the problem. But like mirkendargen says, if a SATA m.2 will not work in those two slots then that could be it, going to pick up a non sata m.2 today and try that.. remounting the cpu is a pain in the ass, would have to tear my rigid tubing wc all apart etc.

Are all you 3960x and 3970x owners doing custom loops? I’m considering building a new rig next year but I’m not sure I want to do a custom loop and am looking for suggestions.

Are all you 3960x and 3970x owners doing custom loops? I’m considering building a new rig next year but I’m not sure I want to do a custom loop and am looking for suggestions.
Would say more than half are custom loops that i've seen makes sense for workstations rendering all the time with multiple gpus etc..

I am out here at a microcenter camping out for the 1 3950x that showed up in stock I was the first here but this other dude showed up looking to get it a few minutes later.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
yeah I thought about a bad mount also.. I did follow the direction and use the torque wrench but that does not mean that is noy the problem. But like mirkendargen says, if a SATA m.2 will not work in those two slots then that could be it, going to pick up a non sata m.2 today and try that.. remounting the cpu is a pain in the ass, would have to tear my rigid tubing wc all apart etc.

You'd just have to plug it into the correct slot if it's sata. You may need to change something in the bios to set the slot to sata instead of nvme as well.

doox00

Oh man... your running with the big boys. Put that sata m.2 in an external enclosure, use it for backups, and get you a phison e12 or e16 based badboy nvme and toss that in your otherwise storage neutered bad ass machine.

E12 is nvme pcie3.0 x4 lanes
E16 is same but pcie4.0

Damn it I need to get back into shame. I hauled ass once doors open and beat the other guy to it. Got a Gigabyte master x570 with it.
As someone biding their time, the lengths some of you have gone to get your CPUs are amazing but oh-so-worth it. Best story so far was flying across the country (pretty sure was plebbit).
That new box smell must be glorious.
office space bare minimum.jpg

doox00

Oh man... your running with the big boys. Put that sata m.2 in an external enclosure, use it for backups, and get you a phison e12 or e16 based badboy nvme and toss that in your otherwise storage neutered bad ass machine.

E12 is nvme pcie3.0 x4 lanes
E16 is same but pcie4.0

I just picked up a samsung 970 evo plus to throw into it as a boot drive to see if those two slots were working and thankfully its all working just fine. :) I have a sabrent 1tb pcie 4 in my 3950x system I put together with the cpu you got for me.. seems to work good, hardforum loads quick anyway hehe.

Back