Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

Here's a 3970x in my hands at home.... oh man the power in this box. But sigh......... this is not my property and it must be shipped to its owner tomorrow.

SmartSelect_20191206-201047_Gallery.jpg

Microcenter must have a very special arrangement direct with AMD. My guy there tells me they UPS the chips to them.
They must because the one near me doesn't seem to be having much of a problem getting them.

I am very tempted to build a 3950x. Do I need it? Nope. Want? Fuck yea. My 7820x is no slouch still but I am redoing my system/water cooling. With a 3950x I doubt I will have to upgrade for at least 5 years.

Last edited:
I am very tempted to build a 3950x. Do I need it? Nope. My 7820x is no slouch still but I am redoing my system/water cooling. With a 3950x I doubt I will have to upgrade for at least 5 years.

I owned a 7820x its a really really good CPU. Sometimes I regret selling it. I would probably have just now sold it to get something else.

I owned a 7820x its a really really good CPU. Sometimes I regret selling it. I would probably have just now sold it to get something else.
Other then I had to delid it and stuff to get temps under control it really has been a great cpu.

Congrats on your new beast!~

Well, it was supposed to be ready for me to pick up yesterday but still not ready. Hopefully it's just a small delay and they didn't oversell and im stuck waiting. Now I'm debating trying to find another one and canceling that as they've missed the date with no indication on when I'll get it.

I've had more fitment issues with this build than in the past.

I did get the Be Cool Dark Rock Pro TR4 cooler, as a stopgap, but the heat sink fins block all but one RAM slot and the sticks I got (Corsair Dominator Platinum) are too tall. So, I need to find another cooler. I am definitely starting to realize that TR builds do not afford quite the same variety of cooling solutions that I enjoyed in the past, particularly in drive-to-store-and-get-something-decent scenarios.

I've had more fitment issues with this build than in the past.

I did get the Be Cool Dark Rock Pro TR4 cooler, as a stopgap, but the heat sink fins block all but one RAM slot and the sticks I got (Corsair Dominator Platinum) are too tall. So, I need to find another cooler. I am definitely starting to realize that TR builds do not afford quite the same variety of cooling solutions that I enjoyed in the past, particularly in drive-to-store-and-get-something-decent scenarios.

To be honest AMD has always said that threadripper is built for water cooling. That said, I dont consider an AIO watercooling for reasons outside of the scope of the thread, they do include asetek adaptors in the box.

There are a few air coolers out there most notable one is the huge Noctua behemoth and the Coolermaster Air cooler the wraithripper.

But yeah options are limited outside of custom loop arrangements.

Last edited:
To be honest AMD has always said that threadripper is built for water cooling. That said, I dont consider an AIO watercooling for reasons outside of while scope of the thread, they do include asetek adaptors in the box.

There are a few air coolers out there most notable one is the huge Noctua behemoth and the Coolermaster Air cooler the wraithripper.

But yeah options are limited outside of custom loop arrangements.

Looks like the fastest option for me is to swap the BeCool air cooler for a Corsair H115i platinum (fairly available locally) that appears to support TR4 though not the entire CPU heat spreader. If that gives me a few months of good cooling while I sort out a custom water cooling solution, I'll be satisfied.

Odds of finding a 3950x or 3960/70 if I make a 4hr drive to Houston micro center never been to one before

More than twice as quick vs a Dual E5-2690v4 for what I need it to do.
View attachment 205371

Haven't touched the bios yet.

View attachment 205372
*Obviously not done building it yet.
Wish I would have bought some AMD stock few months ago. :D
Nice!
What GPU is that? Quadro or something? Looks old school.

I know this benchmark software sucks, but I find it funny I broke their scale after playing a bit with bios settings (memory)...
View attachment 205418
Hahaha what the hell scale is that. But why didn't you get an i3? It's faster on loserbenchmark than anything from AMD lol

I am about to put my 3960x system together, its going to be custom rigid tubing water cooled but before I do all the wc stuff I want to boot it up, install windows to make sure I don't have any hardware issues etc.. What is a cheap temporary recommended cooler I can throw on it for that?

I am about to put my 3960x system together, its going to be custom rigid tubing water cooled but before I do all the wc stuff I want to boot it up, install windows to make sure I don't have any hardware issues etc.. What is a cheap temporary recommended cooler I can throw on it for that?

Any AIO that's 2x120 more.

You're gonna love the living shit outta that 60x. I just bumped my ram to 32 finally havevquad channel
I'm gonna bump it another 32 in a month or so.

Any AIO that's 2x120 more.

Just got my 3950x system built with the cpu I got from you finally.. put an air cooler on it and installed windows to test it all out, all is good! Then installed the blocks and did all the tubing bends and so on.. been on the bench for the past ~10 hours with the pump running to make sure no leaks.. so far so good! :) My first rigid wc build, turned out decent.. not perfect but I am happy with it.

Nice!
What GPU is that? Quadro or something? Looks old school.
AMD HD 5750 (spare parts)
Once I go though the data (copy bookmarks ect) I'll migrate the 2080ti over to it.

Full build spec:
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
AMD 3960x
Seasonic PRIME 1300W
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
EKWB EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Nickel x 5
CT16G4WFD8266 16GB x 4
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO Pure Copper
EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 280 Radiator, Slim Dual, Black
Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM x 2
Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM x 2
Alphacool 14164 NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. ID x 5/8in
Enzotech 90 Degree Rotary Compression Fitting G 1/4 Thread - ID3/8 - OD5/8 x 3
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 Pump Reservoir - Acetal
EK-Revo D5 Pump Mount
Very old Swiftech MCP655 pump
2080ti Founders Edition with EVGA Hybrid Kit
Inland Premium 1TB SSD
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB SSD

I don't suggest these fans, noisy even at 20%, but all the rest of the parts are great.

Look how much damn space Caselabs th10 magnum has ...

This is a freaking EATX board

This build was tossed together with old used already bent hardline. I just heat gunned and bent it to where ever it would fit.

More on order so I can do a proper install, cable managment etc... I just needed this thing up and running in the interim.

I am going to do some really cool Raspberry Pi LED paneling in the empty space as a project soon. Rebuild all the water lines, remove the pump res, install my other pump and res on the board side and redo my radiator layout.

2019-12-08 02.51.08.jpg

Hey on another note this brings back mad memories haha

20170816-145234.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know if these new trx40 boards need both of these connected to boot?

2 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connectors

I've got a new 1300w seasonic prime on the way and wondering if I should just hold off building it till it arrives since the motherboard will probably arrive a few days sooner. My Older board and psu only has one of those hookups.

Anyone know if these new trx40 boards need both of these connected to boot?

2 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connectors

I've got a new 1300w seasonic prime on the way and wondering if I should just hold off building it till it arrives since the motherboard will probably arrive a few days sooner. My Older board and psu only has one of those hookups.

You absolutely need them. They are the only source of 12v feeding the VRMs.

You absolutely need them. They are the only source of 12v feeding the VRMs.

Yeah, i was thinking with a psu that has single 12v rails maybe it would be ok with only one connected but maybe the power cables can't handle it. If I remember right when 1x8 pin was new you could still power them using the old 4 pin ones.

Growing increasingly frustrated with B&H. Original anticipated ship date was December 6th. Got an email from them today, dared get my hopes up, but it was just a survey request regarding "how they are doing". Yeah, I'll hold off and answer that one when I find out just how they did.

Meanwhile I'm continuing to monitor Newegg and Amazon. Availability pops up on Newegg from time to time, only to disappear in a minute. It has an uncanny way of showing up when I can't act on it (in a meeting, sleeping, driving to work, taking a shower, etc.)

I was just at Microcenter in Dallas. There were no third generation Threadripper or 3950X CPU's.

Initial run just to make sure it's all working properly, under the cpu-z stress test after ~10 minutes it's 64C max with an h100i platinum, holding 4.05-4.1 all core. I don't have an aggressive fan curve, it starts to ramp once coolant temp goes over 30C and goes to max at 35C. Coolant is holding around 34C, so I could run a little cooler if I wanted more agressive fans, but honestly I might turn them down a bit and shoot for 70-75C as that's not anywhere near hot. I think the recommendation of 280mm AIO is more than a little overkill, tbh. Idle is in mid 30's, runs about 5C hotter at idle and 15C hotter under load vs. the 3700X I replaced. Per hwinfo, core 0 hitting peak 4.725 and core 1 hitting 4.7 under single core loads. When running CB15 single core it's staying on those 2 cores and bouncing around between 4.575 and 4.65. CB15 is 212 single and 4067 multi.

https://valid.x86.fr/h7qdzl

Initial run just to make sure it's all working properly, under the cpu-z stress test after ~10 minutes it's 64C max with an h100i platinum, holding 4.05-4.1 all core. I don't have an aggressive fan curve, it starts to ramp once coolant temp goes over 30C and goes to max at 35C. Coolant is holding around 34C, so I could run a little cooler if I wanted more agressive fans, but honestly I might turn them down a bit and shoot for 70-75C as that's not anywhere near hot. I think the recommendation of 280mm AIO is more than a little overkill, tbh. Idle is in mid 30's, runs about 5C hotter at idle and 15C hotter under load vs. the 3700X I replaced. Per hwinfo, core 0 hitting peak 4.725 and core 1 hitting 4.7 under single core loads. When running CB15 single core it's staying on those 2 cores and bouncing around between 4.575 and 4.65. CB15 is 212 single and 4067 multi.

Bob,

The recommendation is based on ol TR1 and 2. The new 7nm super cherry picked dies are really showing they run very cool. My 60x is surprisingly cool. I have yet to hit 70c even on a prime 95 avx2 load.

Bob,

The recommendation is based on ol TR1 and 2. The new 7nm super cherry picked dies are really showing they run very cool. My 60x is surprisingly cool. I have yet to hit 70c even on a prime 95 avx2 load.

Per AMD they recommend 280mm for the 3950X, and I don't think it's based on tr1 or tr2 as those have different recommendations (lower actually). I agree that they run suprisingly cool, it runs cooler than my 1920X threadripper did with the same cooler and close to douple the computation power.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/3950x-thermal-solutions
https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

Going through some of the 3970x reviews in davinci resolve an overclocked 2080ti was the bottleneck lol.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Going through some of the 3970x reviews in davinci resolve an overclocked 2080ti was the bottleneck lol.

I use D resolve... it is but .... you also need ALOT of ram for using Fusion. I have 32 right now and its not enough! I am going to have to double that.

I can tell you the 3960x is beastly in Video Editing. Unlike anything I have personally ever seen.

Last edited:
Growing increasingly frustrated with B&H. Original anticipated ship date was December 6th. Got an email from them today, dared get my hopes up, but it was just a survey request regarding "how they are doing". Yeah, I'll hold off and answer that one when I find out just how they did.

Meanwhile I'm continuing to monitor Newegg and Amazon. Availability pops up on Newegg from time to time, only to disappear in a minute. It has an uncanny way of showing up when I can't act on it (in a meeting, sleeping, driving to work, taking a shower, etc.)

Yeppers. I was there and can confirm every single email notification I received arrived too late for me to purchase.

The closest I got with Newegg was I'd pressed F5 for the 324897568379465 time that morning and it said instock. (and they still pulled the old Are you Human BS to the point they were OOS by the time I convinced them I was...)

I'm pretty sure this is the first and likely last time I'll ever type the following line but:

Thanks Best Buy! (we'll see if it actually arrives today...hope I didn't jinx myself)

have to remember that the recommendation is based on diy noobs and to stop say dell err i mean alienware.. pulling what they did with the 1950x and throwing it into that stupid case that had fk all for cooling.

Back