Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

Mostly, don't order non-camera stuff from B&H ;)

I bought a bunch of 10TB Seagate enterprise harddrives from them last time I upgraded my NAS server. They handled that well. That's the only non-camera related thing I've ever ordered there though.

Starting to wonder if I should cancel with B&H and try my luck elsewhere... At this point I've essentially just given them a $1,500 interest free loan...

3960x popped up on Newegg like twice today, first 4:50am pst. The second, around 9:33am. This was a bit funny, once I saw the notification on my phone, I clicked the email link, out of stock; But then I saw the app notification was at like 9:45am. Opened the page in the app, IN STOCK, woot. Bought it. My paypal has been charged, waiting on shipping notification before killing B&H preorder. (Hindsight - page might have been cached)

3960x popped up on Newegg like twice today, first 4:50am pst. The second, around 9:33am. This was a bit funny, once I saw the notification on my phone, I clicked the email link, out of stock; But then I saw the app notification was at like 9:45am. Opened the page in the app, IN STOCK, woot. Bought it. My paypal has been charged, waiting on shipping notification before killing B&H preorder. (Hindsight - page might have been cached)
you're gonna LOVE the shit outta the 3960x..... trust me

epeen.png

Last edited:

I started looking at newegg to see if I can set up an alert and buy it there, and cancel my B&H order.

Looks like even Newegg is selling it for above MSRP... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm all for screwing over the scalpers, but in this scenario, Newegg becomes just another scalper.

I started looking at newegg to see if I can set up an alert and buy it there, and cancel my B&H order.

Looks like even Newegg is selling it for above MSRP... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm all for screwing over the scalpers, but in this scenario, Newegg becomes just another scalper.

Better them than randos tossing on Ebay... too bad AMD can't raise the price themselves.

is this the actual program to test the CCD's max speed from the thread above? anyone try using it yet? https://github.com/jedi95/BoostTester
Yes that is the right link. Good luck. Very keen to see TR results I don't think anyone has looked at this closely yet.

Huh. Are people actually getting the new Threadrippers? Or are they just able to pre-order?

I pre-ordered on B&H on the supposed launch day, at which point they were saying they'd ship on 12/6. I sent an email inquiring about an update today, and they told me 12/26 now.

I'm a little bit confused regarding whats going on with B&H...

Looks like this system won't get built in 2019 at this rate... I still need to order a motherboard and waterblock, and don't want to do so until I know I'm actually going to get the damned CPU, and the block needs to ship from Germany since everything is out of stock here.
Set up one of the chromium plugins that monitors webpage changes. It'll be faster than waiting for notification emails down tubes that everyone else gets...

Someone posted earlier;
Use distill web monitor extension for chrome, it works amazing.. will tell you immediately if anything changes on the webpage.. and you can select areas of the page for it to monitor so its not false alerting you all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeo
like this
Placed 3- 3950x in cart at newegg.Would not let me purchase 3.So piss on them.............HAHAHAHA

Are you looking for a certain one.... if not PPCS has a couple types in stock.

https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/water-blocks/water-blocks-cpu.html?cpu_series=1132

Yeah, I have done my research, and the one I want is the Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro. Preferably the solid nickel plated one. A second choice would be the all copper one. I hate plexi tops.

Looks like they actually have one of the heatkillers in stock. They were all out of stock last time I checked. Those acrylic threads make me nervous though. I strongly prefer all threads to be in metal.

I don't really need one but I do reeeeallly want one. Not gonna settle (or pay flipper prices) and gonna go ahead and upgrade other stuff until they're more available. (or I get lucky playing 3950x wackamole)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Huh. Are people actually getting the new Threadrippers? Or are they just able to pre-order?

I pre-ordered on B&H on the supposed launch day, at which point they were saying they'd ship on 12/6. I sent an email inquiring about an update today, and they told me 12/26 now.

I'm a little bit confused regarding whats going on with B&H...

Looks like this system won't get built in 2019 at this rate... I still need to order a motherboard and waterblock, and don't want to do so until I know I'm actually going to get the damned CPU, and the block needs to ship from Germany since everything is out of stock here.

I've had mine since Saturday.

KQTGcq5h.jpg

I've been running the piss outta my 3960x.

I've been posting about it in different threads.

Anyways I'll try that boost tester app later.

I see in some Spanish forums that after week 35 of production the overclock potencial increase in some batch of this Ryzen 9 processors versus processors batch before 35 week . It is true how I can identify the week of production of my new 3900x.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I see in some Spanish forums that after week 35 of production the overclock potencial increase in some batch of this Ryzen 9 processors versus processors batch before 35 week . It is true how I can identify the week of production of my new 3900x.
The numbers of batch are production year and week.

I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of motherboard availability. At this rate, B&H will probably ship before I find one that has builtin 10gbe.

Edit: Amazon now has Gigabyte boards:
Aorus Master
Aorus Extreme

They're both not available to ship right away, but Amazon must have a batch coming soon. Plus that 5% back for those of us with Prime cards. I put an order in for the Extreme. I assume this build will last me quite a while. Now I need to find the most compact case that fits "XL-ATX" or whatever form factor that is.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
BestBuy annoyed the hell out of me today but...I think their convoluted site assisted me.

They kept saying it was in stock and, when trying to choose the shipping for the order, it couldn't...Turns out I had to make sure it was being shipped to me not the store...Seems it may have affected others as well because once I figured that out I was able to get the order to go through...

I have an order confirmation number, order confirmation text, and an order confirmation email for a 3950X.

'bout damn time

Of course, it'll probably be cancelled because BBuy screwed up, lol

Hoping it arrives Monday...it's scheduled to, anyway

I've had mine since Saturday.

View attachment 204129

Very nice.

At this point I'll probably just stick with my B&H pre-order. It's kind of frustrating that everyone else is getting their toys, and I'm not, but you know what, I paid MSRP and have a guaranteed place in line. I don't have to pay above MSRP and keep refreshing web-pages.

Annoying as hell that the ship date has slipped to 12/26 though...

Very nice.

At this point I'll probably just stick with my B&H pre-order. It's kind of frustrating that everyone else is getting their toys, and I'm not, but you know what, I paid MSRP and have a guaranteed place in line. I don't have to pay above MSRP and keep refreshing web-pages.

Don't worry, many of us are in the same boat and don't have them either - we're just not posting because there isn't much to say...

BestBuy annoyed the hell out of me today but...I think their convoluted site assisted me.

They kept saying it was in stock and, when trying to choose the shipping for the order, it couldn't...Turns out I had to make sure it was being shipped to me not the store...Seems it may have affected others as well because once I figured that out I was able to get the order to go through...

I have an order confirmation number, order confirmation text, and an order confirmation email for a 3950X.

'bout damn time

Of course, it'll probably be cancelled because BBuy screwed up, lol

Hoping it arrives Monday...it's scheduled to, anyway

I had the opposite - I could only order it shipped to store and not myself, lol. Picking mine up Friday.

I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of motherboard availability. At this rate, B&H will probably ship before I find one that has builtin 10gbe.

Somehow it feels like the 10GbE trend is dying -- 2.5GbE is now all the rage. Not really a logistical issue for HEDT but certainly a pain for mainstream boards.

Very nice.

Based on my past experience with B&H preordering, they tend to list something as in stock / shipping today on the site before shipping any preorders.

Based on my past experience with B&H preordering, they tend to list something as in stock / shipping today on the site before shipping any preorders.

What does that mean?

I mean, if they are listing it while they are shipping pre-orders because they have more stock than they took pre-orders for, that is perfectly fine.

If it means new orders get priority over pre-orders, then it is absolute bullshit if true.

I'm not giving them an interest free loan of $1500 for a month, just so they can screw me over.

What does that mean?

I mean, if they are listing it while they are shipping pre-orders because they have more stock than they took pre-orders for, that is perfectly fine.

If it means new orders get priority over pre-orders, then it is absolute bullshit if true.

I'm not giving them an interest free loan of $1500 for a month, just so they can screw me over.

That was my experience ordering a 24-70 2.8 from them, had to call in and complain after it was listed as in stock for a day before they looked it up and shipped it.

Now newegg has the 3950x at 899 lol, and still not in stock.

After I got my confirmation from BBuy I made sure to go back to Newegg and give them feedback that I fully believe they're a bunch of price gouging thieves. I had that CPU in the cart at MSRP and as soon as they removed it I Alt-F4'd the window and dblclicked my shortcut which took me right back straight to the CPU page and it was $50 higher than literally, 1.5 seconds before...

Looks like I will have to wait this one out for the dust to settle down, probably Feb next year.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Someone at and should be fired for how bad stock has been though all 3xxx chips. If production was this bad they should have cut skus or bought more fab space. I think a lot of the problem is they are pushing these things to the max to get the bost clocks up.

Someone at and should be fired for how bad stock has been though all 3xxx chips. If production was this bad they should have cut skus or bought more fab space. I think a lot of the problem is they are pushing these things to the max to get the bost clocks up.

There is no fab space and demand is much higher than predicted. Fire whom and for what? Doing too good of a job? Fire TSMC for not having enough fab capacity?

Literally the only thing they could have done is release it later after building up more stock. There is no more fab space to be bought; TSMC is expanding as fast as they can, and hell, Nvidia is looking to Samsung for some parts. Apple uses both and still can't get enough.

Even Intel with their massive number of fabs can't keep up and are getting their ass'es kicked by AMD. Of course GloFlo decided not to go 7nm, what geniuses that bunch are - they could have gotten everything they made sold, supposedly their 7nm was ready to go, just invest, equip one of their fabs or two. Apple would probably used them as well. Considering the lack of Fab capacity, I give credit to AMD on their pricing. I think they could have charged even more.

Last edited:
Even Intel with their massive number of fabs can't keep up and are getting their ass'es kicked by AMD.

They can't keep up, but they're still shipping an order of magnitude more. Let us know when AMD breaks 5% of the market, lol.

Of course GloFlo decided not to go 7nm, what geniuses that bunch are - they could have gotten everything they make sold, supposedly their 7nm was ready to go, just invest, equip one of their fabs or two.

It's really that easy!

Apple would probably used them as well.

Talk about wishful thinking...

Considering the lack of Fab capacity, I give credit to AMD on their pricing. I think they could have charged even more.

Realistically, they should have charged more, given the stock issues they're having with their higher-end SKUs. Either they charge more and keep it, or scalpers resell their products and keep the change.

They can't keep up, but they're still shipping an order of magnitude more. Let us know when AMD breaks 5% of the market, lol.

It's really that easy!

Talk about wishful thinking...

Realistically, they should have charged more, given the stock issues they're having with their higher-end SKUs. Either they charge more and keep it, or scalpers resell their products and keep the change.
lol, Intel is shipping more because AMD can't get enough chips made. GloFlo would have been a great filler for a product line or two (maybe 7nm APU's and/or a GPU chip like the low end) allowing the higher value items made at TSMC. As for Apple I think they did consider GloFlo once but dump them since they would not be able to meet demand.

Gloflo already had risk production which meant a number of tape outs must have occurred for 7nm, they were virtually there. EUV needed work for a later improvement and then 5nm so that customers had a future outlook. They already did the R&D, testing etc. then cut and run on 7nm - They even had additional fabs they bought from IBM ready to be upgraded. Anyways with the shortages of Fab capacity - this has to be a mistake by GloFlo is my take.

lol, Intel is shipping more because AMD can't get enough chips made. GloFlo would have been a great filler for a product line or two (maybe 7nm APU's and/or a GPU chip like the low end) allowing the higher value items made at TSMC. As for Apple I think they did consider GloFlo once but dump them since they would not be able to meet demand.

Gloflo already had risk production which meant a number of tape outs must have occurred for 7nm, they were virtually there. EUV needed work for a later improvement and then 5nm so that customers had a future outlook. They already did the R&D, testing etc. then cut and run on 7nm - They even had additional fabs they bought from IBM ready to be upgraded. Anyways with the shortages of Fab capacity - this has to be a mistake by GloFlo is my take.

it appears AMD designed 7nm at TSMC and didn’t have faith in GF 7nm. GF then canceled all 7nm as they had no sure 7nm customers.

At that time, no one could have foreseen a 7nm market that would support another player. In hindsight, Had GF gone forward with 7nm- they could have reaped a lot of business and cash.

“AMD’s first 7 nm product was designed for TSMC’s CLN7FF from the beginning, so the company did not bet on GF’s 7LP in late 2018 anyway, and no rush with the manufacturing technology was needed for GF’s key customer.”

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development

Reactions: noko
like this
Processor arrived today, test boot was a success. Kept flipping through the same numbers on the board's readout, had me worried for a minute.
Heatsink inlet is a bit closer to my pump than I expected, need to get another 90 degree fitting, and of course my go to site is under maintenance (performance-pcs).
Need to also pick up a couple of bottles of distilled water.

5:40AM update: Site was up, ordered the fittings, overnight shipping. Build should be done this weekend. :D

Last edited:
lol, Intel is shipping more because AMD can't get enough chips made.

Intel is shipping more because they've always shipped more. AMD can't get enough chips made because they don't have the clout -- TSMC isn't going to turn down other customers on the chance that AMDs products don't have issues. AMD is the little fish in this pond.

this has to be a mistake by GloFlo is my take.

GloFo is the culmination of AMDs fab mistakes.

Back