Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

i thought there was rumors of insane IPC increases with Zen3 upwards of the better part of 15% or more!

I've been in this hobby long enough to know to always take rumors with a truckload of salt.

Remember Bulldozer? It was supposed to be amazing!

We will see about the massive IPC increases. If true, I can't help but wonder if they will be accompanied by clock speed decreases. It's usually pretty difficult to increase both IPC and clock speed at the same time.

We'll see though.

The thing is, even if the next gen Ryzen is 15% faster, that doesn't mean that the chip you buy today is going to be any slower. :p

I've been in this hobby long enough to know to always take rumors with a truckload of salt.

Remember Bulldozer? It was supposed to be amazing!

We will see about the massive IPC increases. If true, I can't help but wonder if they will be accompanied by clock speed decreases. It's usually pretty difficult to increase both IPC and clock speed at the same time.

We'll see though.

The thing is, even if the next gen Ryzen is 15% faster, that doesn't mean that the chip you buy today is going to be any slower. :p

i actually had pre-ordered the FX 8120 :(

Side note:

Does AMD"s new strategy remind anyone else of a certain other company's "Tick-Tock" strategy? :p

upload_2019-11-26_19-44-47.png

i actually had pre-ordered the FX 8120 :(

Yeah. I had a 990FX "wait for bulldozer" build with a hexacore Phenom II 1090T build which I was going to just drop a bulldozer into on launch.

When it sucked ass, I was done. I sucked up my pride and bought the x79 3930k.

I thought the $1000 price tag was ridiculous at the time ($599 for CPU, $399 for motherboard) and I had buyers guilt, for a long time, but in retrospect, seeing that I got 8 years out of it, I am not too disappointed anymore :p

Yeah. I had a 990FX "wait for bulldozer" build with a hexacore Phenom II 1090T build which I was going to just drop a bulldozer into on launch.

When it sucked ass, I was done. I sucked up my pride and bought the x79 3930k.

I thought the $1000 price tag was ridiculous at the time ($599 for CPU, $399 for motherboard) and I had buyers guilt, for a long time, but in retrospect, seeing that I got 8 years out of it, I am not too disappointed anymore :p

Those Phenom II X6s were nicer than the Bulldozer, i was always envious of them!

i thought there was rumors of insane IPC increases with Zen3 upwards of the better part of 15% or more!

It's possible of course. Zen 2 is is still Zen under the hood, so they're due for an architecture upgrade, and they've had time to tweak it a bit since Zen samples were first available to their engineers.

So I got my replacement credit card today! And while I was in the middle of activating it I received an email from Amazon stating they had a 3950X in stock! Of course, because it's a new card I had to first set up my new payment option in my account page so it was sold before I could do that...hahahaha

On the bright side, I did create a pretty decent pump/res combo mount for my work-in-progress system.

newnewresmnt.jpg

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So I got my replacement credit card today! And while I was in the middle of activating it I received an email from Amazon stating they had a 3950X in stock! Of course, because it's a new card I had to first set up my new payment option in my account page so it was sold before I could do that...hahahaha

On the bright side, I did create a pretty decent pump/res combo mount for my work-in-progress system.

View attachment 202777

Could I get the stl for that? :)

Chinese sites on ebay are reporting 60x availability for shipping on the 4th of December. Could be a lead as to when.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Could I get the stl for that? :)

Gimme a bit of time to get it up on Thingiverse. Because I'm working with the Lian Li O11 Dynamic, I've got a whole "project" of stuff I need to upload.

I'll post a link to it later tonight...plan on pulling an all-nighter designing stuff and printing.

so this 3950X + 3600 MHz DDR4 is a massive improvement over my Haswell-EP 18-core and 2133 MHz DDR4... likely almost double the FPS in GTA V @ 4K

so this 3950X + 3600 MHz DDR4 is a massive improvement over my Haswell-EP 18-core and 2133 MHz DDR4... likely almost double the FPS in GTA V @ 4K

That's awesome, but very different setups though to be fair.

Man I really need to get a Plastic Printer ... Microcenter has one that looks nice

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486543/powerspec-wanhao-duplicator-i3-plus-3d-printer

If you are in the market for a 3d printer check out the sovol sv01, its on sale for 255 bucks and its a great printer, especially for the price. just upgrade the firmware with th3d's unified firmware and you have a killer quality printer for pretty cheap.

https://sovol3d.com/products/sovol-sv01-direct-drive-extrusion-3d-printers

You can get it on amazon for 280 also, free returns if you don't like it that way.

Man I really need to get a Plastic Printer ... Microcenter has one that looks nice

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486543/powerspec-wanhao-duplicator-i3-plus-3d-printer

You should get one. They make mock-ups e-a-s-y. The WanHo's are pretty decent. Make sure you get one which can handle the size of parts you think you'll need.

I have two FlashForge Creators, a Makerbot Replicator 2, and 2 Creality CR-10s (the 300x300x300 and 500x500x500)

I'm using the makerbot rep2 on these parts because PLA isn't as sensitive to print as ABS is. The makerbot is set it and forget it reliable. The only problem I have ever had with it was tonight. I was at 67% completion on the pump mount and we had a storm come though and cause a power outage...lost the print because of no UPS on this printer, so it just stopped mid-print.

I've already restarted it since the storm is over and I'm doing it in eSun Silver filament (more gray-ish) because you can't see details in Black PLA (too shiny)

Definitely get a printer...you'll love it

EDITED TO ADD: the Sovol is the exact same style as the Creality brand. They're good printers

You should get one. They make mock-ups e-a-s-y. The WanHo's are pretty decent. Make sure you get one which can handle the size of parts you think you'll need.

I have two FlashForge Creators, a Makerbot Replicator 2, and 2 Creality CR-10s (the 300x300x300 and 500x500x500)

I'm using the makerbot rep2 on these parts because PLA isn't as sensitive to print as ABS is. The makerbot is set it and forget it reliable. The only problem I have ever had with it was tonight. I was at 67% completion on the pump mount and we had a storm come though and cause a power outage...lost the print because of no UPS on this printer, so it just stopped mid-print.

I've already restarted it since the storm is over and I'm doing it in eSun Silver filament (more gray-ish) because you can't see details in Black PLA (too shiny)

EDITED TO ADD: the Sovol is the exact same style as the Creality brand. They're good printers

Yeah I'm gonna clear it with the wife. My selling point is that my 6 year old will love making stuff he can play with as well.

Yeah the sovol is basically all creality parts but with direct drive, which is nice if you plan to print flexible filaments (tpu etc) and even if not it helps with reduce stringing with pla and so on. I have cr10s cr10s pro, sovol sv01 and a prusa mk3s.. all of which have been great printers (the cr10s pro was shit when new though, buggy firmware and auto bed leveling issues.. but with tiny machines firmware its all sorted and a fantastic and silent printer. :)

Last edited:
N4CR

How bad was the saltiness? just curious, be honest
Lol you three were pretty butthurt but I understand it.
They could have waited longer but then TR3 would've had to wait for 3950 to not steal its thunder.. So AMD was in a tricky position. I'd love to know if there were more than 1000 units though, because what does it take to top best seller on Amazon?

I didn't realize N4CR had become the official [H] adjudicator of salt!
Lol I am not on my PC to post the 'let the salt flow' meme for you. But I have the best salt meme collection on [H] to my knowledge so it might be why :p

Fair on your points earlier, sorry wasn't really having a go at you guys more just a laugh at your expense; good natured ribbing after the salt y'all made us wade through. Timing sucked for you though dude I'm very sorry..
Glad to see you got a 3960x, now you can laugh more at my poxy 2600k - you have more grunt in one ccx!

erek I think idiotincharge is right zen3 won't have ddr5, so socket change is unlikely. If they did they'd have to change for zen5 otherwise...

Reactions: erek
like this
DDR5 is still a long way off.

Makes me wonder how TRX40 is going to deal with this. AMD has committed to supporting it for a while going forward, but it must have the same DDR5 problems AM4 does...

Unless it ready had the DDR5 pins in there and is ready for a CPU with a DDR5 controller to be dropped in once available.

To me an overclock is pointless unless it is 24/7 practical, [H] stable (48 hours of prime95) and in general usable without resorting to disabling cores or features or anything like that.

These tards who pour LN2 in there, and squeak in a benchmark before it crashes are lame and completely irrevant.

The point of overclocking is to get a faster system to use, not for a one-off epeen benchmark.

Sometimes they will open an hour earlier too so you have to get there way ahead of time.

I'm getting real tired of the Amazon instock, you're too late all gone in a nanosecond emails.. they're toying with my emotions. heh

Yea I was clicking on it like mad to no avail. Dammit, I don't even need one with a 3900x. I was gonna get my moms a 3600x... but the gears inside mah head started churning. Give her my 3900x lol and get a 3950x. smh

Use distill web monitor extension for chrome, it works amazing.. will tell you immediately if anything changes on the webpage.. and you can select areas of the page for it to monitor so its not false alerting you all the time.

Use distill web monitor extension for chrome, it works amazing.. will tell you immediately if anything changes on the webpage.. and you can select areas of the page for it to monitor so its not false alerting you all the time.

good info! Thanks for sharing.

Back