Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

Only place I see in the US that had any was newegg that was "out of stock" after a few minutes so they only had a few. Pretty horrible on AMD's part to announce a processor and have 0 available to buy. THAT is piss poor marketing.

I don't know about anybody else here but I have $749 burning a goddamn hole in my pocket for this thing. Not having it available means they are losing money. Chance to pounce on Intel even harder and failed. Could you imagine if they actually had a decent stock of these things on launch date and having THAT many more reviews out on the internet knocking down Intel right before the holidays??? :)

anyone got a link to the listing page for 3960X or 3970X on Amazon?

Thought I saw it posted somewhere but can't find it now, and it's not showing up in their search.

I guess your only other option is to head down to your nearest single mom support center. :D

LOL that will make me feel a little better. I'll get one eventually, not like I don't have enough computers to F with already. Just saying AMD had their chance to really shove it up Intel's ass even harder. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer, started with AMD back in the day with an Athlon x2 64 for a pro tools 7.4 Mbox rig, changed to Intel forever and started building AMD systems again and from the looks of it, will be back to AMD for some time.

Only place I see in the US that had any was newegg that was "out of stock" after a few minutes so they only had a few. Pretty horrible on AMD's part to announce a processor and have 0 available to buy. THAT is piss poor marketing.

I don't know about anybody else here but I have $749 burning a goddamn hole in my pocket for this thing. Not having it available means they are losing money. Chance to pounce on Intel even harder and failed. Could you imagine if they actually had a decent stock of these things on launch date and having THAT many more reviews out on the internet knocking down Intel right before the holidays??? :)
0 available? Several people here have bought them. I think that is more than 0.

LOL that will make me feel a little better. I'll get one eventually, not like I don't have enough computers to F with already. Just saying AMD had their chance to really shove it up Intel's ass even harder. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer, started with AMD back in the day with an Athlon x2 64 for a pro tools 7.4 Mbox rig, changed to Intel forever and started building AMD systems again and from the looks of it, will be back to AMD for some time.

You and the handful of other disgruntled want to buyers got to put it into context man. These are highly sought after chips. And highly sought after products are typically in short supply with ridiculous demand. Stop acting like they are doing a disservice by not having a million on hand for the random link clicker.

You and the handful of other disgruntled want to buyers got to put it into context man. These are highly sought after chips. And highly sought after products are typically in short supply with ridiculous demand. Stop acting like they are doing a disservice by not having a million on hand for the random link clicker.

LOL I'm not disgruntled, just saying they had a chance to really stick it to Intel and failed. My opinion.

Random Link Clicker? what does that even mean?

LOL I'm not disgruntled, just saying they had a chance to really stick it to Intel and failed. My opinion.

Random Link Clicker? what does that even mean?

Lazy buyer only want to click link, get cpus right now. Hehe. The chips were out there to buy, you just had to hustle yer ass to get them. Know what I mean? By noon on Monday it was too late, they're all gone.

Also, I read of a handful of guys who got their 3950x before Monday even.

Lazy buyer only want to click link, get cpus right now. Hehe. The chips were out there to buy, you just had to hustle yer ass to get them. Know what I mean? By noon on Monday it was too late.

Nice ASSumption there champ. I actually checked randomly from 8pm-1am, 5:30am when I got up, when I got to work I saw the email Newegg sent out while I was driving and by that time out of stock (15-20 mins from date/time of email). Guess I didn't hustle hard enough missed that 15 minute window while driving. But as I already said, I will get one eventually. Not sure why you all are mad? Because I felt AMD failed on a nice opportunity to further stick it to Intel? I for one am happy with AMD and their comeback to keep those weasels @ Intel in check.

Nice ASSumption there champ. I actually checked randomly from 8pm-1am, 5:30am when I got up, when I got to work I saw the email Newegg sent out while I was driving and by that time out of stock (15-20 mins from date/time of email). Guess I didn't hustle hard enough missed that 15 minute window while driving. But as I already said, I will get one eventually. Not sure why you all are mad? Because I felt AMD failed on a nice opportunity to further stick it to Intel? I for one am happy with AMD and their comeback to keep those weasels @ Intel in check.

The problem is YOUR ASSUMPTION that they could have these in the market in force to compete with those weasels. And yall are acting like the 3900x didn't go thru the same low supply. And you are ignoring the facts that EPYC comes first, then TR, then 3950x. I don't want to get into it on this point but c'mon dude. It's crazy to think they'd be able to keep these stocked much less be able to supply enough to meet random buyers assumptions of stock.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
F*ck it, I just brought a 3950x. Should come on the 7th..... (from Novatech UK)

If the date starts sliding I'll go back to plan B: Ordering a 3700x for the weekend, and get a 4950x when they're available (Zen 3 does sound juicy).

1st AMD CPU since an Athlon XP (Barton). 54.3 transistors in 2003 to just under 10 billion 2019, a slight upgrade!

it's almost double the performance of my old Haswell-EP 18-core:

upload_2019-11-26_18-21-10.png

F*ck it, I just brought a 3950x. Should come on the 7th..... (from Novatech UK)

If the date starts sliding I'll go back to plan B: Ordering a 3700x for the weekend, and get a 4950x when they're available (Zen 3 does sound juicy).

1st AMD CPU since an Athlon XP (Barton). 54.3 transistors in 2003 to just under 10 billion 2019, a slight upgrade!

You do realize Zen3 will be on a news socket, right?

This is the end of the line for AM4.

There have been claims, but no statements or proof, except that AMD has stated that AM4 will be supported to 2020.

I read that as Zen 3 is likely coming to AM4.

Repeat after me: all sockets are dead sockets. Only for enthusiasts, and then only occasionally, does it make sense to actually upgrade a CPU before its platform is obsolete / unsupported.

i didn't actually know this was the end of the line for AM4 :(

but i keep hearing how awesome Zen3 is going to be and i started feeling bad about investing in something like this for a long time then to be suddenly blown out of the water in 2020

but i keep hearing how awesome Zen3 is going to be and i started feeling bad about investing in something like this for a long time then to be suddenly blown out of the water in 2020

It isn't, if I had to make a prediction it'd be that Zen 3 hits AM4, and probably Zen 3+ too.

The point about sockets is this: if you drop in a 3950X, how likely are you to want to swap it out before the CPU you want requires a new motherboard, or new socket / platform entirely?

The longer you plan on keeping it, the less likely that there'll be something that you want to drop in its place versus upgrading the board too.

No biggie, just upgrade again when that happens. :)

I wouldn't worry about it.

While it is commendable of AMD to keep the socket compatibility there, it really rarely makes sense to upgrade CPU's in the same socket, unless you do something silly like buy the lowest end $30 CPU.

First gen Ryzens are still viable options,fast enough that it wouldn't make sense to spend money upgrading them for the benefit you'd get.

By the time they aren't anymore, you are well into the next socket, whether it comes on Zen3 or Zen4.

Heck, I'm only just now upgrading my 2011 3930k on the x79 platform, the launch CPU for LGA2011.

I'd rather AMD were a little bit more like Intel in this regard, and maximized the socket/platform for each new generation. Zen2 is great, but imagine how much better it could have been if it didn't have to run in the same socket as Zen1

When they keep the same socket generation over generation it always feels like I am getting a product that is a serious design compromise in the name of backwards compatibility. I'd rather have the best possible today.

Yeah, I preordered my 3960x last night. I hope they actually get enough stock to ship me one on Dec 6th.

I've waited long enough for this upgrade.

upload_2019-11-26_19-21-40.png

The "Delivery Estimate Pending" and "Your order will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis" statements mean I have no idea what to expect, to the point where I am not sure if I should order my waterblock or motherboard yet, or wait until I actually get a shipping confirmation...

With the waterblock seemingly having to come straight from Germany (as they are all out of stock here in the U.S. for the Watercool Heatkillver IV Pro for TR) This means the block is likely going to become the long pole in my build.

At least I already ordered the RAM, after I saw the story on The FPS Review that RAM prices may be going back up.

This 4x16GB 3600mhz CL16 kit seemed priced very well. I hope it doesn't suck. RAM is probably my weakest point knowledge-wise in this hobby.

Last edited:
isn't that next year in 2020? :(

i just upgraded today!

And what makes you think you'll need to upgrade again?

By all estimates CPU performance increases will continue to slow as die shrinks continue to become more and more difficult.

My current CPU, a 32nm i7-3930k has lasted me 8 years. Honestly, it still does everything I need it to today, but I have been itching for an upgrade for a long time.

I'm sure a Ryzen 9 3950x will be a serviceable CPU even longer, just based on how things should be slowing down.

Will it be the #1 performing CPU for a decade? Nope. But that is just for epeen anyway.

Last edited:
And what makes you think you'll need to upgrade again?

By all estimates CPU performance increases will continue to slow as die shrinks continue to become more and more difficult.

My current CPU, a 32nm i7-3930k has lasted me 8 years. Honestly, it still does everything I need it to today, but I have been itching for an upgrade for a long time.

I'm sure a Ryzen 9 3950x will be a serviceable CPU even longer, just based on how things should be slowing down.

Will it be the #! performing CPU for a decade? Nope. But that is just for epeen anyway.

i thought there was rumors of insane IPC increases with Zen3 upwards of the better part of 15% or more!

Back