Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

Im gonna laugh at those that pat 1k 1.5k 2k for a 3950x. Watch as a freight ship full of them are released on to the market

But this is a purely paper launch so that will probably not happen.
It's not a paper launch if stock is available and people have orders shipped already. The definition of a paper launch is zero stock, that's not the case here.
The stock levels are shit though. But that's what happens when you make (mostly) the best CPUs in the world on a contracted fab...

it was a lot of work to get this cpu, i don't really want to sell it at all :(

i was just curious about it's value

It's value is what someone is willing to pay, for me that is a grand.. I see one just sold for 1200 buy it now like 10 mins ago on ebay :)

It's value is what someone is willing to pay, for me that is a grand.. I see one just sold for 1200 buy it now like 10 mins ago on ebay :)

What mobo and Ram did you end up getting?

we got the same mobo, same brand of ram, but mines 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39... the ram you got is insane... insanely expensive as i recall for those timings

yeah it was 255 for the ram and I figured I should be able to get ~3600 out of it with pretty tight timings.

I am doing a custom loop with rigid tubing (my first custom loop in like 12 years and first time doing rigid tubing). Should be a fun build. Putting it in a corsair x680 case, 2 dual 280 EK rads, EK block for the cpu but got the corsair block for my 2080 ti.. I think I like the look of it better.. but we'll see once its built :)

It's not a paper launch if stock is available and people have orders shipped already. The definition of a paper launch is zero stock, that's not the case here.
The stock levels are shit though. But that's what happens when you make (mostly) the best CPUs in the world on a contracted fab...

There's not a Threadripper 3 on Earth available anywhere. Even Dan verified it earlier as well. Were in the 60/70x crowd here

With what, 500 pieces at most, launch quantity for the 3950x, it might as well be a paper launch. 500 pieces in a market this size might as well be zero.

It's a publicity launch.

There's not a Threadripper 3 on Earth available anywhere. Even Dan verified it earlier as well. Were in the 60/70x crowd here
Sorry, thought you meant the 3950X specifically.
Yeah I have not heard of/seen any 60/70s either so yes, they are a paper launch.
Pretty sure I saw something about a delay to 26th though? Or was the 3950x? Because people are already scalping them so it can't be that.

Reactions: erek
like this
With what, 500 pieces at most, launch quantity for the 3950x, it might as well be a paper launch. 500 pieces in a market this size might as well be zero.

It's a publicity launch.
Yeah it's not cool but it's still not a paper launch. Publicity launch is probably a great term for it! I'd say 1000 max for worldwide...

Reactions: erek
like this
do the yields seem incredibly bad or what? to get a few hundred viable parts after a few months of delays seems kinda real bad ?

do the yields seem incredibly bad or what? to get a few hundred viable parts after a few months of delays seems kinda real bad ?
I'd say it's probably to do with this... current as of 5 minutes ago.

11/12 spots going to AMD? Unheard of!
3950X was #1 5 hours ago.. stock can't have been that bad to go that far up the list... anyone know what sort of volume that would take?

upload_2019-11-26_18-34-44.png

I'd say it's probably to do with this... current as of 5 minutes ago.

11/12 spots going to AMD? Unheard of!
3950X was #1 5 hours ago.. stock can't have been that bad to go that far up the list... anyone know what sort of volume that would take?

View attachment 202529

Paper launch, publicity launch, or just launch either way AMD is SMOKIN' the market for CPUs right now. I might be giving them two thumbs down for this launch and I might be a little Fickle in my ways, but I will eventually land a delicious 24 core monster or even a 32 pending availability and willpower (for the 32).

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I just put one up on ebay. Starting at $950.
It is $808 out the door after tax, $32 to ship it with insurance and 2 day shipping, 4 hours of my time to go get it. I kinda think it's fair. If they had Threadrippers I wouldn't be doing this tho.

Paper launch, publicity launch, or just launch either way AMD is SMOKIN' the market for CPUs right now. I might be giving them two thumbs down for this launch and I might be a little Fickle in my ways, but I will eventually land a delicious 24 core monster or even a 32 pending availability and willpower (for the 32).
Indeed.
Even if you discount that motherboard as erroneous..
upload_2019-11-26_19-28-55.png

They got #13 as well, even with a damn APU! All I can say is you can't buy that kind of mindshare... you just have to have the best product at the right price point. With demand that high I am surprised they can stock the 3000 series at all, with 3950/3900 OOS i'd imagine quite a few will get a 3600-3800 to tie them over.

I wish you great luck!
Unless an ML application massively takes off I can't justify 32c at this point. Wish I could though ;D What are you going to use it for?

I'd buy a 10980XE before I'd pay $200 over MSRP for Ryzen 9 3950X out of principle.

I just put one up on ebay. Starting at $950.
It is $808 out the door after tax, $32 to ship it with insurance and 2 day shipping, 4 hours of my time to go get it. I kinda think it's fair. If they had Threadrippers I wouldn't be doing this tho.

That rape come with a reach around? At least lube it before you bury it to the hilt.

Can't believe that the 3800X is a 'better seller' than the 3700X.

I have a feeling that Amazon uses that page to its advantage to push slower moving stock...?

Reactions: noko
like this
Indeed.
Even if you discount that motherboard as erroneous..
View attachment 202530
They got #13 as well, even with a damn APU! All I can say is you can't buy that kind of mindshare... you just have to have the best product at the right price point. With demand that high I am surprised they can stock the 3000 series at all, with 3950/3900 OOS i'd imagine quite a few will get a 3600-3800 to tie them over.

I wish you great luck!
Unless an ML application massively takes off I can't justify 32c at this point. Wish I could though ;D What are you going to use it for?

Yeah and I just sold my 3600 ugghh... thinking that these chips (60/70x) would be plentiful at launch like the 2nd gen was. Well its only been one day. Lets see what the Thursday Truck at Microcenter brings in.

Yeah and I just sold my 3600 ugghh... thinking that these chips (60/70x) would be plentiful at launch like the 2nd gen was. Well its only been one day. Lets see what the Thursday Truck at Microcenter brings in.

After the lack of available 3900X's and all the reviewers not getting Threadripper or 3950X samples, you'd have been insane to think that you would be able to easily pick up any of AMD's new offerings easily on launch day. I knew it was going to be a paper launch from both camps. Although, I suspected I'd be able to find a 10980XE if anything. Nope. Not even those are available.

After the lack of available 3900X's and all the reviewers not getting Threadripper or 3950X samples, you'd have been insane to think that you would be able to easily pick up any of AMD's new offerings easily on launch day. I knew it was going to be a paper launch from both camps. Although, I suspected I'd be able to find a 10980XE if anything. Nope. Not even those are available.

I wouldnt go as far as insane.

I dont need my machine right now. I could easily go to Microcenter and buy an APU to hold me over and toss my 2080ti in it. No biggie. I will probably do that and sell the APU here later.

boy oh boy things were rough till i figured out i was running revision 1 bios from june on my board... now she is humming along nicely. I haven't touched anything except setup XMP. currently doing some World Community Grid crunching at at 100% load its sitting around 4.05GHZ all cores with core temps low 60's. this is with a 2 year old artic cooling liquid freezer 240. Its not in a case yet so i am sure temps will be higher at the end of the day, but seems alot cooler than my 3900x for some reason. I got some Gskill tridentZ rated for 3600 cas17 read the spd on it in typhooon and its hynix D die so looks like i can tighten the timing up quite a bit.

but seems alot cooler than my 3900x for some reason
Congrats! First I've seen with it on here. Other reviewers also noted this and said it was likely due to higher bin/more efficient chiplet(s).

smh

level1techs dude bought all 3 for the trifecta, 3960x/3970x/3950x... Everyone and their momma wants one of these chips.

Last edited:
smh
level1techs dude bought all 3 for the trifecta, 3950x/3970x/3950x... Everyone and their momma wants one of these chips.
It's a paper launch though!
If you aren't [H] enough to stay up late on a worknight..

lol.

The interesting part of that is that the level1 dude bought the cpus then probably had to mad dash it back and run benches to throw up his review.

lol.

The interesting part of that is that the level1 dude bought the cpus then probably had to mad dash it back and run benches to throw up his review.

Yeah good point, he's dedicated and one of the most promising new YT tech types, I wish him well.
Hopefully one day they'll send him stuff so he doesn't have that hassle.

It's a combination of two factors.

They have set too aggressive specs for this early in the process in order to posture against Intel and make the most out of their relative advantage right now.

They could have had better yields at more modest specs, but then they wouldn't have been able to wow enthusiasts as much in the performance charts.

So unrealistically high specs for the process + Low process yields at those specs = low volumes.

I did stay up late on a work night. I even tried before work in the morning. No dice. There was no trace of them anywhere until about 9am EST at which point I was headed into my staff meeting, and they were gone in 3 minutes.

So maybe the phrase should be:

"Unless you are [H] enough to be unemployed, yet still have the means to buy a $700 CPU."

So far my method has been this. Wake up at my usual time before work. Sit here and read the [H] with my coffee. Get an email saying the chip is out. Go on website and click buy.
This worked for me and i had forgotten that it was even release day. Guy at the store told me i was lucky and i said no i was just the first person to read the email and click buy on your website.

So far my method has been this. Wake up at my usual time before work. Sit here and read the [H] with my coffee. Get an email saying the chip is out. Go on website and click buy.
This worked for me and i had forgotten that it was even release day. Guy at the store told me i was lucky and i said no i was just the first person to read the email and click buy on your website.

I do that as well but when I saw it in stock this morning I couldn't click buy because my replacement credit card hasn't arrived to replace the one which got compromised...so I just end up weeping silently.

I did stay up late on a work night. I even tried before work in the morning. No dice. There was no trace of them anywhere until about 9am EST at which point I was headed into my staff meeting, and they were gone in 3 minutes.

So maybe the phrase should be:

"Unless you are [H] enough to be unemployed, yet still have the means to buy a $700 CPU."

i took vacation days this week knowing about the launch, seemed to be a pretty big gamble / lottery to get one and a potential waste if i wasn't able to secure one

Picked mine up today at microcenter. They almost didn’t sell it to me as I bought 2 3900x processors recently but I explained to the manager there is no fine print stating they can do that. Anyhow I don’t plan to use it and resell it to Vader for just a small premium. I’m not in the business of scalping fellow Hardforum members but time, tax, shipping and gas factor.

Stand up guy here folks. Hope I can return the favor one day.

Reactions: noko
like this
Got my 3950x yesterday through Amazon. At first, when I was confirming the order, I received a message saying that the item was not available. However, I went back to the product page and saw there was 1 left. I added it back to the cart and confirmed the purchase. The 3950x had a "Delivery estimate pending" message for about 6 or 7 hours, but it finally was confirmed to be arriving on Friday.

Got my 3950x yesterday through Amazon. At first, when I was confirming the order, I received a message saying that the item was not available. However, I went back to the product page and saw there was 1 left. I added it back to the cart and confirmed the purchase. The 3950x had a "Delivery estimate pending" message for about 6 or 7 hours, but it finally was confirmed to be arriving on Friday.

grats on the purchase!

Back