Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

BH just moved back their 3970x availability to Dec 6th...

Dec 6 is fine with me as long as we know for sure thier available then. I just hate these stupid paper launches. There should be a truckload of chips available as soon as reviews drop.

On a side note, I had a 3900x so I'm not as super impressed with the 50x because I already had 90% of the performance already. I also had a 1950x then a 2950x. But that 32 core good gawd.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
I have a feeling that by the time there is widespread availability we will be near a zen 3 release. We still don't have 3900x widespread availability and we are almost 6 months after launch.

I have a feeling that by the time there is widespread availability we will be near a zen 3 release. We still don't have 3900x widespread availability and we are almost 6 months after launch.
there is a microcenter in cambridge ma with stock availability of 10+.

Reactions: erek
like this
So I’m waiting in line at the micro center #14 in line. Want a threadripper but they haven’t said if any in stock. Should I snag the 3950x if they don’t have the tr?

there is a microcenter in cambridge ma with stock availability of 10+.

Where are you seeing this?

That is my Microcenter. When I search for Cambridge inventory it used to come up out of stock, but now the listing doesn't show up at all...

Screenshot_20191125-122944~2.png

So I’m waiting in line at the micro center #14 in line. Want a threadripper but they haven’t said if any in stock. Should I snag the 3950x if they don’t have the tr?

with the way availability is for 3950x, i wouldn't be surprised if people sold it for 1k...what's the return policy for microcenter? If you can't sell, then return it. Maybe you can profit off a resell of the 3950x if you are set on getting threadripper..

According to Paul's hardware there is no justification for the 3970x price premo. I'm switching down to the 24 core now. It actually games faster than the 32 core and the Intel 8 and 18 cores and the 3950x appears to be the planetary gaming king.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
this was in response to the 3900x stock. I read on twitter that all the 3950x in cambridge, ma have been reserved. Some poor guy drove 2.5 hrs not to get one...

Ah. Thanks for clarifying.

I can't help but wonder why they deleted the listing instead of keeping it as "out of stock"

BH just moved back their 3970x availability to Dec 6th...

B&H having them on 12/6/19 bodes well for my search for the 3950X. They should get them in stock the same day...

I'm STILL pissed my bank cancelled my card and mailing a new one. I totally agree it was necessary, but NFCU can make new cards at any branch (I did not know this until this morning) so I "could have" gotten a replacement Saturday afternoon and mnade my order last night/this morning...

So far looks like a classical paper launch. Real launch would have hundreds if not thousands in the major retail outlets.

like this
Pretty similar to the 2080ti launch as far as day one stock goes. Will be interesting to see how frequently they get new shipments.

like this
B&H having them on 12/6/19 bodes well for my search for the 3950X. They should get them in stock the same day...

I'm STILL pissed my bank cancelled my card and mailing a new one. I totally agree it was necessary, but NFCU can make new cards at any branch (I did not know this until this morning) so I "could have" gotten a replacement Saturday afternoon and mnade my order last night/this morning...

I really need to actually use my navy federal account. It's been sitting with 5 dollars in for 16 years

I really need to actually use my navy federal account. It's been sitting with 5 dollars in for 16 years
hmmm, once a member always a member was the motto I remembered - need to check them out myself.

Preordered the 3960x from BH for now. I won't be able to build any new system for about 2 weeks anyway so the timing could work out well. I'll have some time to read over some more reviews as well. Seems a little bit slower than my 9900k in gaming, but should be far faster in just about everything else I do.

Preordered the 3960x from BH for now. I won't be able to build any new system for about 2 weeks anyway so the timing could work out well. I'll have some time to read over some more reviews as well. Seems a little bit slower than my 9900k in gaming, but should be far faster in just about everything else I do.

I may just wind up doing this as well.

My upgrade from my 2011 3930k build has been delayed so many times now, that at some point I just need to pull the trigger on something...

Hovering my mouse over the pre-order button - however - I am remembering how insane I thought it was to spend $600 for a CPU and $400 for a motherboard in 2011...

like this
Hovering my mouse over the pre-order button - however - I am remembering how insane I thought it was to spend $600 for a CPU and $400 for a motherboard in 2011...

The price of entry to TR is only about double, right? That's not too bad?

;)

I'd like to point out that Intel's new HEDT lineup has CPUs from ten to fourteen cores priced well under their US$1,000 eighteen core part that might fill your 'PCIe lanes + enough cores + good single-core performance' bracket, despite not being the 'new hotness' from AMD.

According to Paul's hardware there is no justification for the 3970x price premo. I'm switching down to the 24 core now. It actually games faster than the 32 core and the Intel 8 and 18 cores and the 3950x appears to be the planetary gaming king.

I think the price increase for the TR is easily justified. The 3950 needs more bandwidth. The moment the workload is higher than what the cores can crunch you see a regression. AMD had the 16 cores at slightly over what their memory controller can do.

TR can game higher than the 50 in certain situations.

OMG..I was just thinking that this case can hold two systems. Can you imagine a Threadripper up top, 3950x ITX system on the bottom or if just for gaming a 9900K/KS system at the bottom. All business up top, party down below.

like this
TR can game higher than the 50 in certain situations.

Really? I figured the lower max single threaded boost clock would hold it back a little bit. 200mhz isn't that much through, but every little bit helps!

My expectation is that the 3960x would essentially game like a 3800x, because games don't really care about more PCIe lanes, quad channel RAM or more cores.

OMG..I was just thinking that this case can hold two systems. Can you imagine a Threadripper up top, 3950x ITX system on the bottom or if just for gaming a 9900K/KS system at the bottom. All business up top, party down below.

Or if you really want multiple systems, just buy a second case?

I may just wind up doing this as well.

My upgrade from my 2011 3930k build has been delayed so many times now, that at some point I just need to pull the trigger on something...

Alright. I did it. I'm on the B&H Pre-order list.

Now the question becomes, do I also order the only trx40 motherboard on Amazon (The Asus Prime-Pro) just to make sure I actually get one, or do I hold off, so I don't wind up stuck with a motherboard and nothing to put in it if this B&H order falls through...

The Asus wasn't really my first choice for motherboards though. it has the least number of PCIe slots of the trx40 boards I've seen announced thus far...

Really? I figured the lower max single threaded boost clock would hold it back a little bit. 200mhz isn't that much through, but every little bit helps!

My expectation is that the 3960x would essentially game like a 3800x, because games don't really care about more PCIe lanes, quad channel RAM or more cores.
Nope. AMD upgraded the cache latency with TR, which is a major surprise. Clock speeds matter but latency is also a factor.

Nope. AMD upgraded the cache latency with TR, which is a major surprise. Clock speeds matter but latency is also a factor.

Very interesting. I missed that. What is your source? I'd like to read up for myself.

like this
Anandtech goes in pretty deep into the cache upgrade.

Further, there's just lots of it- and that helps games.

Anandtech goes in pretty deep into the cache upgrade.

Further, there's just lots of it- and that helps games.

I'm not so sure. TechSpot runs a ton of new games at CPU-limited settings, but the only game where the 3960X enjoys a noticeable performance improvement over the 3950X is Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1946-amd-threadripper-3970x-3960x/

TR.png

For every other game, the L3 cache does nothing spectacular, and the winner varies from one game to the next (advantage never exceeds 5%).

That's a $650 premium for a corner case in gaming. I just don't see it getting any bigger (or any more common).

Unless you can see another use for those extra 8 cores, I wouldn't bother.

I'm not so sure. TechSpot runs a ton of new games at CPU-limited settings, but the only game where the 3960X enjoys a noticeable performance improvement over the 3950X is Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1946-amd-threadripper-3970x-3960x/

tr-png.png

For every other game, the L3 cache does nothing spectacular, and the winner varies from one game to the next (advantage never exceeds 5%).

That's a $600 premium for a corner case in gaming.

You are absolutely right, but I'd like to point out that the comparison was for TR2 vs. TR3. TR3 no longer loses significantly in consumer applications (to include games) in comparison with the consumer platforms and Intel HEDT in the way that TR2 did.

This is praising AMD for putting that many cores into a socket and not sacrificing performance pretty much anywhere due to the architectural update with TR3 :).

Reactions: noko
like this
You are absolutely right, but I'd like to point out that the comparison was for TR2 vs. TR3. TR3 no longer loses significantly in consumer applications (to include games) in comparison with the consumer platforms and Intel HEDT in the way that TR2 did.

This is praising AMD for putting that many cores into a socket and not sacrificing performance pretty much anywhere due to the architectural update with TR3 :).

No, you implied the 3950x would be slower than the 3960X because games love more low-latency L3 cache.

You are wrong.

The better performance vs Threadripper 2 was already expected, as the memory controller is NOT BROKEN NUMA. The improved cache is just a slight bonus to keep these new units better fed UNDER CORNER CASES.

EPYC has already shown us how well the new memory controller scales, so I'm surprised you're so easily impressed.

Last edited:
Back