Ryzen 3950X, 3960X, 3970X Availability

Came here to ask about the 3000G. Was looking to grab one for a DIY FreeNAS box.
Paper launch. :(

I think the price is too high for the 3960x and 3970x for them to become like the 3900x, unless they launch with minimal stock.
The 3950x however I expect it will be hard to get until after the holidays.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Given that JayzTwoCents did not get a 3950X because AMD "only had a few to give out", tells me there will be shortfalls at retailers. Prepare for $1000+ 3950X's on eBay, Newegg and Amazon through 3rd party sellers with high speed F5 keys. Will they sell at that price or not? Yes, they certainly will because some people don't care how much it costs upfront if they can make it up over time through their specific use case. Time is money and $250 over MSRP can be made back quickly for some people making it worth it.

We were not able to secure a 3950X either. JayzTwoCents would have likely gotten one even if we didn't. That does go to show you that they are few and far between right now.

"On shelf Nov. 25th"

Dunno if the video in its entirety is real.
Shot at 7min mark is a 1950X.

GN, L1, HW Unboxed got 3950x, I like to see the tryhards rewarded over infotainers like Bigwig or JayzsCamaroFetish.

Linus would be an exception, but he has more views than all the tryhards combined so you cant ignore marketing footprint.

I like the fact GN streamed some 3950x content, some YouTube channels act like low sub CT twitch streamers. They're stuck in low growth habits.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
No one is taking pre-orders as well, it seems. I have a full X570 workstation sitting here with no CPU, waiting on the 3950x. If they are that scarce..it's gonna suck for a while. No doubt that these are specially binned, and probably slim pickings. The 3900x is still slim pickens which is ludicrous at this point.

Last edited:
like this
I'm really hoping most people aren't going to want to hand over 2k for the 3970x, planning on buying that one as soon as its released.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
No one is taking pre-orders as well, it seems. I have a full X570 workstation sitting here with no CPU, waiting on the 3950x.

I'm in the same boat, Vader. I decided in September that I was going to finally upgrade my main 2014 X99 / 5820K rig* and would either go with a 3900x or 3950x, depending on how the latter looked when the reviews came out. I've spent the interim weeks slowly putting together the whole rest of the rig as deals cropped up. I'll literally just have to plop in the chip and attach the cooler. Seriously hoping I can nab a 3950x on the 25th.

*which honestly, still does absolutely fine @ 4.4Ghz for most tasks. However, the video encoding numbers for Ryzen 3900/3950X definitely pushed me over the edge! So much regained productivity time.

Last edited:
No one is taking pre-orders as well, it seems. I have a full X570 workstation sitting here with no CPU, waiting on the 3950x.

Yeah I'm right there with you so I know what you're going through...

At least the scarcity will give me time to finish my build (except for the 2 tubes for the CPU)

Although I am seriously tempted to overpay since you know there'll be gouging at first...

I'm really hoping most people aren't going to want to hand over 2k for the 3970x, planning on buying that one as soon as its released.

I was going to go Threadripper until I saw the prices. Not saying they are bad comparatively but here's the deal, we all wished for AMD to succeed so we bring competition to the market to lower prices but now it's flipped. Intel may not have a response and AMD can do what Intel did to us for years.

like this
I was going to go Threadripper until I saw the prices. Not saying they are bad comparatively but here's the deal, we all wished for AMD to succeed so we bring competition to the market to lower prices but now it's flipped. Intel may not have a response and AMD can do what Intel did to us for years.

I'm okay with paying a bit more for this generation of AMD. They're definitely bringing better performance to the table so I'll reward 'em.

The 3950x is lining up to be the CPU of the decade, the next Thunderbird 700 so to speak. I remember my Thunderbird 700 overlocked to 1000MHz and did it at a great price point.

Now we will see if the 3950x makes Intel's HEDT's Cascade lake-x CPU's it's bitch. If so, then this could be the CPU of the last decade or even further.

I'm still debating the 3950 myself. Is it going to be worth the bump? Decisions, decisions.

I can always upgrade my current rig and move the 3900x down to my 2nd / backup gaming rig. Ever since I torqued my old 2700x by accident, it's been gimping along with the spare 2400g I had on my parts bench. A Titan Xp SLI x470 rig with a 2400g cpu isn't exactly optimal.

Of course if the 4xxx comes out next year (we're already at Nov, fellas), there's always the question of want vs need :-D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Flippers are going to have a field day with the 3950x.
I wonder how many 3900x or 3700x were bought as placeholders for 3950x.

I hope the used zen2 market has its own correction event bc of it.

The only ppl I see buying TR are those using their rigs to make a living. For ex. my friend whose an editor and 3D guy tapped me to build him a watercooled 3970x. Gonna go with 8TB Gen 4 m.2 (4x2TB) RAID, waterblock his dual 2080tis, the whole deal. The cost which I estimate to be around 6-7K w/o going too crazy will pay for itself in a year. He's coming from 6 core xeons lol. Those poor ti gpus are on air.

I got a 3900x for $499.99 about 2 weeks after launch. I then decided I wanted to wait and see what the 3950x and Threadripper 3 had to offer, so I sold it at cost to someone at Anandtech. Like others, I think the 3950x is going to be next to impossible to find before the holidays but I won’t be surprised to see TR3 have some availability. I’m looking forward to those benchmarks but unless they really deliver, I’ll probably end up holding out for Zen 3 next year. If Zen 3 hits in late spring/early summer and we see TR4 next fall, that might fall into my standard upgrade lifecycle better anyway.

I too think the 3950X is going to be about as common as a chicken with dentures but I'll end up with one, one way or another.

I got a 3900x for $499.99 about 2 weeks after launch. I then decided I wanted to wait and see what the 3950x and Threadripper 3 had to offer, so I sold it at cost to someone at Anandtech. Like others, I think the 3950x is going to be next to impossible to find before the holidays but I won’t be surprised to see TR3 have some availability. I’m looking forward to those benchmarks but unless they really deliver, I’ll probably end up holding out for Zen 3 next year. If Zen 3 hits in late spring/early summer and we see TR4 next fall, that might fall into my standard upgrade lifecycle better anyway.

I want TR3, but at those prices, I'm probably going to pass on that. I'd be far more likely to go with a 3950X instead or try to find a deal on something like a 9980XE to get back on HEDT and still have decent gaming performance. I was hugely disappointed with the 2920X as a gaming processor, but the platform and the extra cores helped in a lot of other areas. Now I'm on a 9900K and while fantastic for gaming, it's not great in some other areas.

Sometimes I feel like I should have just stuck with my Core i7 5960X @ 4.5GHz. I spent a lot of time and money just to circle back around to 8c/16t and gain back what I lost in gaming performance switching to AMD.

I just sold my 3900x to one lucky buyer here on HF.

I'm not in a rush for anything. Gonna plop a threadripper in my machine in the coming month or two.

like this
I already put in for leave Monday because I haven't decided whether or not to drive to Georgia and stand in line at Microcenter to get a 3950X or press F5 a billion times Sunday night, lol.

I already put in for leave Monday because I haven't decided whether or not to drive to Georgia and stand in line at Microcenter to get a 3950X or press F5 a billion times Sunday night, lol.

I'll be in the F5 club hahahahaha.

I'll be in the F5 club hahahahaha.

Likewise; here's to hoping. Of course, 12:01am EST is 7:01pm for me, so a tad bit easier to do the night before a work day. OTOH, it means I miss a lot of East-coast morning deals.

Last edited:
Happy with my 3900X. Really don't need anything more.

Suppose I could go e-peen my way into a 3950X, but I'm getting too old (and cheap) for that shit.

Back