Ryzen 3900XT, 3800XT, and 3600XT allegedly to be announced by June 16th

So long as there is no delay in Zen 3 / 4000 series chips (I'd like to see Ryzen in Sept/Oct and TR by November if possible), I don't see any problem with the XT versions. It seems like they're simply replacing the previous versions with XT variants for the same cost, so thats a nice benefit ; the only concern is that sales on these may not go as deeply as they did without this revamp. I do have to admit I wonder why they couldn't have offered a 3950XT, with some additional performance - especially considering its price, most threads + highest clock rates, it seems like it would really benefit from being able to add higher base and boost clocks. The only conclusion I can draw is that perhaps there's no room on the 3950X , even with the XT process enhancements? Still, would have been nice to see a 3950XT w/ 4.8 -5.0 all core turbo under sufficient cooling.
Mostly like 3950x's where already highly binned CPU's and there wasn't enough better binned models to make this viable. XT is simply just the process maturing and getting slightly better parts in general. The middle of the road CPU's on the other hand are probably maturing better (since they weren't as high binned parts to begin with).

I could be horribly wrong and this post is based purely on the specs so far (real world performance is something else, especially if all core boosts go up significantly from the current 4-4.1ghz all core):

I'm coming away with the opinion that this is an even worse launch than Intel's 9th gen with the exception of the 9900K (which is arguably the only desirable model in that launch).

This targets nobody to upgrade. If Zen2 didn't make you want to upgrade, this won't either.

look at it this way.. the XT models are basically for those people that don't know how to or don't want to overclock but they want the most performance they can get.. e.g. why the 1800x, and 3800x exist.. both processors are absolutely useless for the enthusiast community because you could easily hit those clocks yourself without any real effort but there's a segment of people that want that performance but don't want to do anything extra to get it.

this in no way is comparable to the crap intel pulled with the 9900k and 9900kS bs where the 9900k was damn near impossible to find on shelves so they replaced it with another processor for $100+ more only for it to be just as impossible to find because oh no we need to take the media limelight away from AMD only to shoot themselves in the foot yet again.

Using Boost Tester which just hits one core at a time to figure out the highest possible boost, I can get this stock on my 3950x:
View attachment 248768
I have seen core 1 hit 4700 as well on another run. I would say this is best case scenario due to a synthetic test and not real world. When running Prime 95, I'm in the low 3 GHz range due to hitting power limits. Also, I seem to need the full SOC voltage of 1.1 for RAM stability which eats some of the power budget.

are you using PBO?

what is your cpu voltage at full load? based on the voltages it's showing just with 2 cores at 4.3Ghz i'm going to guess the auto voltages are way higher than they should be which is why you're hitting the power limit. if the full load voltage is over 1.3v you might want to try messing with the voltage offset a little and see if you can pull out some headroom on the power limit to get better full load clocks.
No PBO, but I do have all the power settings set up as suggested by the 1sMus whatever RAM calculator. I'm also using his power plan. I don't remember what the all core full voltage is to be honest, I'll have to run CB20 and check. Remember that this boostester app is made just to run a very light load on one core at a time to see full potential.

So long as there is no delay in Zen 3 / 4000 series chips (I'd like to see Ryzen in Sept/Oct and TR by November if possible), I don't see any problem with the XT versions. It seems like they're simply replacing the previous versions with XT variants for the same cost, so thats a nice benefit ; the only concern is that sales on these may not go as deeply as they did without this revamp. I do have to admit I wonder why they couldn't have offered a 3950XT, with some additional performance - especially considering its price, most threads + highest clock rates, it seems like it would really benefit from being able to add higher base and boost clocks. The only conclusion I can draw is that perhaps there's no room on the 3950X , even with the XT process enhancements? Still, would have been nice to see a 3950XT w/ 4.8 -5.0 all core turbo under sufficient cooling.
I'm perfectly fine with the 3950X keeping the 4.7 top bin. However, it would have been cool to raise the base clock on this one. If they replaced the craplet with just a slightly better binned chiplet, I think they could do it. The craplet is pretty much limited to the best core being able to hit 4.4 on mine.

I'm still debating between X570 vs B550...it would be an easy call to get the X570 if it didn't have the chipset fan

I'm still debating between X570 vs B550...it would be an easy call to get the X570 if it didn't have the chipset fan

B550 if one video card and one pcie 4.0 drive, x570 if you want more than one of either operating at 4.0 speeds.

I plan to go b550 as I want to add a pcie4 nvme drive and run my existing pcie3 drive alongside, but as I also have 8TB of spinners I don't plan to add any more nvme storage beyond that.

look at it this way.. the XT models are basically for those people that don't know how to or don't want to overclock but they want the most performance they can get.. e.g. why the 1800x, and 3800x exist.. both processors are absolutely useless for the enthusiast community because you could easily hit those clocks yourself without any real effort but there's a segment of people that want that performance but don't want to do anything extra to get it.

this in no way is comparable to the crap intel pulled with the 9900k and 9900kS bs where the 9900k was damn near impossible to find on shelves so they replaced it with another processor for $100+ more only for it to be just as impossible to find because oh no we need to take the media limelight away from AMD only to shoot themselves in the foot yet again.

I mean, they should have an extra 100mhz whether you oc or not. I view this as them throwing a bone to early am4 adopters as a last upgrade for 300 series chipsets. People still running an 1800X (or oc'd 1700) on their c6h after 3 years can drop an XT or 3950x in and be set for another 3-5 years without concern.

B550 if one video card and one pcie 4.0 drive, x570 if you want more than one of either operating at 4.0 speeds.

I plan to go b550 as I want to add a pcie4 nvme drive and run my existing pcie3 drive alongside, but as I also have 8TB of spinners I don't plan to add any more nvme storage beyond that.

with B550 the GPU slot is full PCIe 4 capable right (along with 1 full NVMe PCIe 4 slot)?

with B550 the GPU slot is full PCIe 4 capable right (along with 1 full NVMe PCIe 4 slot)?

Yea, but everything else is gen 3. B550 is rather expensive because the better equipped ones are well over 150 and the cheapest x570 is 170. The most expensive 550 is 280+ and is ridiculous cuz you can get a high end x570 for same/similar price and be all PCIE 4.

I like that AMD is continuing to put the pressure on Intel...these XT chips weren't really needed (especially with Zen 3 due in a few months) but it continues the onslaught

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yea, but everything else is gen 3. B550 is rather expensive because the better equipped ones are well over 150 and the cheapest x570 is 170. The most expensive 550 is 280+ and is ridiculous cuz you can get a high end x570 for same/similar price and be all PCIE 4.

everything else is Gen 3 but it's still an improvement from B450 where everything was Gen 2...yeah the pricing sucks but my main issue with X570 is the chipset fan...if X570 didn't come with the fan then it would be an easy choice over B550

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
everything else is Gen 3 but it's still an improvement from B450 where everything was Gen 2...yeah the pricing sucks but my main issue with X570 is the chipset fan...if X570 didn't come with the fan then it would be an easy choice over B550
My chipset fan turns on for system boot up and that’s it. It’s turned off at all times except then. A complete non-issue.

Yes. The cpu has 20 pcie4 lanes, on b550 you get a 16x slot and a 4x nvme and chipset connected via 4x 3.0 lanes. On 570 you get a 16x slot and 4x 4.0 chipset link, which provides 16x 4.0 lanes to other devices, 8x of which can be broken into various devices.

My chipset fan turns on for system boot up and that’s it. It’s turned off at all times except then. A complete non-issue.
This, I've never been able to pick out the sound of the chipset fan on mine.

why after all this time are people still using the fan on x570 as an excuse? literally every board partner has a silent option, the only time the fan should ever turn on is the 3 seconds during boot. the fan is purely there as a fail safe because the chipset lacks any ability to downclock it's self if there's a runaway temp issue, for example you have auto restart disabled when there's a bsod and it sits on that bsod for hours.

also to add for some of the high end B550 boards that have a triple M.2 option, some of them have 8 of the pcie 4.0 lanes from the GPU slot split to a second pcie 4.0 M.2 slot(Gigabyte Master has this option) which is why some of the super high end b550's are so expensive. most of the boards in the 150-175 price range are comparable to the 200-250 dollar x570 price range boards component wise(other than most of the b550 boards getting 2.5G lan/802.11ax where as x570 it was mostly the 300+ dollar boards that had that option).

I've always been a fan of the higher-end chipset boards as I keep my rigs a while, however I'm looking at B550 instead of x570.

Why B550 vs X570?
1) Passive cooling (one less component to fail. I keep my boxes a while)
2) I no longer run SLI, so the x16/x4 split is better for me now vs x8/x8
3) I don't need pci-e 4.0 off the chipset as I don't have pci-e 4.0 (x1/x4) expansion cards so it buys me nothing
4) 2.5G ethernet is appearing on B550 boards but not on x570 unless you get over $200

Last edited:
why after all this time are people still using the fan on x570 as an excuse? literally every board partner has a silent option, the only time the fan should ever turn on is the 3 seconds during boot. the fan is purely there as a fail safe because the chipset lacks any ability to downclock it's self if there's a runaway temp issue, for example you have auto restart disabled when there's a bsod and it sits on that bsod for hours.
Because they just want to complain about anything AMD. Doesn't matter they have 0 experience or have 5 people say it's a non issue everytime they post it. It's just annoying because they are spreading false information that everyone then has to correct over and over again. But, haters gonna have I guess.

why after all this time are people still using the fan on x570 as an excuse? literally every board partner has a silent option, the only time the fan should ever turn on is the 3 seconds during boot. the fan is purely there as a fail safe because the chipset lacks any ability to downclock it's self if there's a runaway temp issue, for example you have auto restart disabled when there's a bsod and it sits on that bsod for hours

all things being equal the mobo without the chipset fan is ideal...it's not about the noise (which is not an issue) but more about the potential for failure down the line...fans have a higher risk of failure especially if you use it for many years...I've been using my current CPU/mobo/PSU for literally 10 years (I've swapped out the GPU/memory/SSD multiple times)...so I'm looking at it from a big picture perspective

it's not about 'hating' AMD...I plan on going AMD for my new build but I want to go with the best option for a long term build (I'm leaning towards the 3700X although the 3600 is still a possibility)

all things being equal the mobo without the chipset fan is ideal...it's not about the noise (which is not an issue) but more about the potential for failure down the line...fans have a higher risk of failure especially if you use it for many years...I've been using my current CPU/mobo/PSU for literally 10 years (I've swapped out the GPU/memory/SSD multiple times)...so I'm looking at it from a big picture perspective

it's not about 'hating' AMD...I plan on going AMD for my new build but I want to go with the best option for a long term build (I'm leaning towards the 3700X although the 3600 is still a possibility)

All things are not equal. The B550 chipset doesn't use a fan because it is not gen4. That being the case it uses less wattage 5w (gen3) vs 10w (gen4), hence why it does not need a fan. Welcome to just getting to gen3 I guess lol?

All things are not equal. The B550 chipset doesn't use a fan because it is not gen4. That being the case it uses less wattage 5w (gen3) vs 10w (gen4), hence why it does not need a fan. Welcome to just getting to gen3 I guess lol?

my first AMD build since Thunderbird (I think that was the name of it)

How is a chipset fan that only comes on during start-up going to really impact longevity? It shows that the fan is essentially not needed since without it spinning it doesn’t even get remotely close to 70°C. Spinning at start up is enough to keep the bearings lubricated for it to just sit there.

Honestly, the chance that the fan will fail with this minimal use I would guess is close to 0 over the lifespan of the build. I wouldn’t buy an inferior product due to a tiny little chipset fan that is basically non-essential...but in the end it’s not my money. I just wish people would stop making it such a big deal online which only exacerbates the fallacious stigma.

How is a chipset fan that only comes on during start-up going to really impact longevity? It shows that the fan is essentially not needed since without it spinning it doesn’t even get remotely close to 70°C. Spinning at start up is enough to keep the bearings lubricated for it to just sit there

I don't think it's only at startup...why would Gigabyte, MSI etc add a fan control option through their software if it only spins at boot?...if you're doing heavy workload like video editing it will be enabled...I agree that it's not the biggest deal but it is a small deal and the whole point is that certain B550 boards are pretty close to some mid range X570 ones

I don't think it's only at startup...why would Gigabyte, MSI etc add a fan control option through their software if it only spins at boot?...if you're doing heavy workload like video editing it will be enabled...I agree that it's not the biggest deal but it is a small deal and the whole point is that certain B550 boards are pretty close to some mid range X570 ones
Speaking from experience, my chipset fan has never turned on even during AIDA64 load or Cinebench 20. The hottest I’ve ever seen it is 57°C, not even close to the threshold. That is with the silent chipset profile. With the balanced fan profile it turns on at 55°C and even then the only time it would ever turn on for me is during synthetic load. But I have it set to silent which makes it only turn on as basically a fail safe at 70°C.

EDIT: I honestly think AIBs put fans on the chipsets for situations where air flow is non-existent.

Last edited:
The same here on my x570 MSI creation board. Ive never seen the fan come on except a short spin at boot. They only put the fan on there for the 1% chance it gets too hot and slags the chipset. People worry about a barely used fan, if it is such a big issue, just unplug it and call it a day. Then the fan will never run or wear out.

I like that AMD is continuing to put the pressure on Intel...these XT chips weren't really needed (especially with Zen 3 due in a few months) but it continues the onslaught

I think it's just to capitalize on better binned CPUs. Supposedly even the newer non-XT/non-X retail 3600s are overclocking better than the release silicon also. If they can get back to charging full price for the XT chips, and not giving the $25-50 off their year old CPUs, that's a win for AMD.

the initial bios had the fan set to run 30% even at idle by default, they didn't add a fan control option until the 1.0.0.3 bios for pretty much all the boards other than asus, i think they took the longest to implement the option. the chipset pretty much sits at a constant 50-55C, silent option sets the fan to turn on at 70C. even with my vega 56 full load blowing directly on the chipset only raises the temp 2C(50 to 52C). even with a 3 m.2 pcie 4.0 raid 0 config under full load doesn't really effect the temps either(which was the original rumor/theory for why AMD needed the fan) as Der8uaer showed in one of his videos using an old aluminum chipset heatsink. but i've already explained why the fans there.

i will agree that there's a massive crossover between the mid range x570 and mid/high end b550 boards, go with what ever has the feature set you need/want and call it a day and to be honest if b550 had released with x570 i probably would of gone the b550 route myself since i don't really need dual pcie 4.0 m.2 support.

IIRC from early days fan was only supposed to come on with heavy PCIE4 traffic and in certain configurations at worst case.

Yeah, the fan will only really be needed if you're running pcie4 nvme raid, which you can't do at all with b550. So the chipset fan should not be a concern with anyone considering a b550, as if you were doing anything that would require the chipset fan you wouldn't be able to use b550 for it anyway and would have to get an x570.

The same here on my x570 MSI creation board. Ive never seen the fan come on except a short spin at boot. They only put the fan on there for the 1% chance it gets too hot and slags the chipset. People worry about a barely used fan, if it is such a big issue, just unplug it and call it a day. Then the fan will never run or wear out.

so the fan is not needed at all in terms of cooling?...I can unplug it with no issues?

the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk is supposed to be in stock this week and that is my preferred mobo

so the fan is not needed at all in terms of cooling?...I can unplug it with no issues?

the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk is supposed to be in stock this week and that is my preferred mobo
Most motherboards have a setting for silent mode. If for some reason the temperature should rise to high, the fan would kick in. By most accounts this never happens, even during stress testing. Just during boot the fan kicks on until bios overrides it. I would not unplug it just because you never know if some weird thing you happen to be running in causing pcie 4.0 to run at full power for the extended times, and why chance anything when it has built in safety? Just because my CPU stays cool with my fans @ 60%, doesn't mean I'm going to disable the option for them to run up to 100% just in case something changes or some weird work load I've never used before causes a spike. I would do some actual research from those who run the same board you have or are looking at and see if their fans ever kick on, as always individual results can vary based on many things (case ventilation, ambient temperature, work loads, devices, etc).

Most motherboards have a setting for silent mode. If for some reason the temperature should rise to high, the fan would kick in. By most accounts this never happens, even during stress testing. Just during boot the fan kicks on until bios overrides it. I would not unplug it just because you never know if some weird thing you happen to be running in causing pcie 4.0 to run at full power for the extended times, and why chance anything when it has built in safety? Just because my CPU stays cool with my fans @ 60%, doesn't mean I'm going to disable the option for them to run up to 100% just in case something changes or some weird work load I've never used before causes a spike. I would do some actual research from those who run the same board you have or are looking at and see if their fans ever kick on, as always individual results can vary based on many things (case ventilation, ambient temperature, work loads, devices, etc).

I'm confident the chipset fan isn't a big deal...my point was that in an ideal situation I wish it didn't come with a fan...it's not going to prevent me from getting an X570 board...the main issue is that the boards I want (like the MSI Tomahawk) are not in stock...I wonder if Zen 3 CPU's will come with chipset fans

I'm confident the chipset fan isn't a big deal...my point was that in an ideal situation I wish it didn't come with a fan...it's not going to prevent me from getting an X570 board...the main issue is that the boards I want (like the MSI Tomahawk) are not in stock...I wonder if Zen 3 CPU's will come with chipset fans
Well, they have to build these things to run in cases with no ventilation, etc, so they probably felt safer using the fan. I would have preferred no fan as well but mostly because it's less moving parts, not due to pretty much non existent noise. I wonder how hard it's be to use some better heatsink with no fan or even a small water block to run over it rather than heatsink/fan.

Well, they have to build these things to run in cases with no ventilation, etc, so they probably felt safer using the fan. I would have preferred no fan as well but mostly because it's less moving parts, not due to pretty much non existent noise. I wonder how hard it's be to use some better heatsink with no fan or even a small water block to run over it rather than heatsink/fan.

I think one of the expensive Gigabyte X570 boards uses custom passive cooling ($700 X570 Master motherboard?)...I think that's the only X570 board that uses passive cooling for the chipset

I think one of the expensive Gigabyte X570 boards uses custom passive cooling ($700 X570 Master motherboard?)...I think that's the only X570 board that uses passive cooling for the chipset
Sounds right, you pay more for less parts ;). I'm surprised more didn't jump on that.bandwagon, but seeing as most see it as nothing, I guess the extra r&d wasn't worth the effort.

I use the ASUS Crosshair VIII mobo with the fan. Can't hear it during the couple seconds that it does run. Can't see it ever spin except at startup. I render videos often, and it doesn't bother to spin the fan. Cinebench 20 just ran and produced a score of 7183 and didn't get that fan going either although my stock AMD CPU fan went nuts... speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, etc. Kinda entertaining really. Meanwhile the mobo fan is sitting there saying "meh." not spinning at all.

Back