Ryzen 3900XT, 3800XT, and 3600XT allegedly to be announced by June 16th

Seems pointless unless zen3 is delayed to 2021.

not really if TSMC has dropped the original 7nm node, there's a slight chance if these are real that they're using the 7nm advanced node(without EUV) which would explain the slightly higher clocks. that's honestly the only reason i could see AMD even bothering branding these chips this way. i doubt zen 3's delayed til 2021, they have stuck to their roadmap so far, there's no reason for them start moving away from it.

never thought I had a primo one, my all core clocks seem a bit low with blender. Not to get too off topic, what do your max boosts per core look like? Have a screen?
Using Boost Tester which just hits one core at a time to figure out the highest possible boost, I can get this stock on my 3950x:
Boost Test Spread Spectrum Off 05-16-20.jpg
I have seen core 1 hit 4700 as well on another run. I would say this is best case scenario due to a synthetic test and not real world. When running Prime 95, I'm in the low 3 GHz range due to hitting power limits. Also, I seem to need the full SOC voltage of 1.1 for RAM stability which eats some of the power budget.

Using Boost Tester which just hits one core at a time to figure out the highest possible boost, I can get this stock on my 3950x:
View attachment 248768
I have seen core 1 hit 4700 as well on another run. I would say this is best case scenario due to a synthetic test and not real world. When running Prime 95, I'm in the low 3 GHz range due to hitting power limits. Also, I seem to need the full SOC voltage of 1.1 for RAM stability which eats some of the power budget.

are you using PBO?

what is your cpu voltage at full load? based on the voltages it's showing just with 2 cores at 4.3Ghz i'm going to guess the auto voltages are way higher than they should be which is why you're hitting the power limit. if the full load voltage is over 1.3v you might want to try messing with the voltage offset a little and see if you can pull out some headroom on the power limit to get better full load clocks.

i doubt zen 3's delayed til 2021, they have stuck to their roadmap so far, there's no reason for them start moving away from it.
I want to believe it, but they're killing it right now. Intel is just releasing their new stuff and AMD already looks ahead or even. Then they release XT to solidify said lead.

Maybe they're not behind on Zen3 but are on Zen4 and want to fill that 2021 hole. Hope not, really looking forward to 4600/X for a SFF build I want to do with the 1080Ti once Ampere comes out.

Intel is going to launch Rocket Lake supposedly next year, which will work on Z490 motherboards which PCIe 4 may or may not be fully supported depending upon the motherboard. Intel may yet put out a fully supported PCIe 4 chipset, 500 series next year - we just don't know. AMD Ryzen 4 or Zen 3 will be competing with Rocket lake while Ryzen 3 (Zen 2) and the new variations XTs with Comet Lake.

I want to believe it, but they're killing it right now. Intel is just releasing their new stuff and AMD already looks ahead or even. Then they release XT to solidify said lead.

Maybe they're not behind on Zen3 but are on Zen4 and want to fill that 2021 hole. Hope not, really looking forward to 4600/X for a SFF build I want to do with the 1080Ti once Ampere comes out.

AM5 is slated for late 2021, so there's no room in there for any delays. Ryzen 4 will be the last huzzah on AM4.

4.8 all core on a 3800XT might convince me to reassemble my water loops.
Yeah, that is very tempting, lol. Don't know how well it works do in my ITX with my small AIO, but even the stock boost is tempting. With zen3 so close though, man it'll be hard to not just wait.

Man I just finished my new build with a 3700x last week. Damn it, I’m on full water to. This would have been nice.
well then it's not "launch" silicon so really, you got a better chance of hitting higher clocks than someone who bought one last summer? (like me)

I'm new to AMD but doing a new build for it soon. To overclock a 3900XT it supposedly supports Infinity Fabric Speed (FLCK) of 2000mhz does that mean I need to get ddr4-4000 to get the most out of the cpu? Will Zen 3 support a even higher FLCK?
i would. and even if yours couldn't hit 2000mhz infinity clk you could always tighten timings to get better performance, plus if you want to upgrade later to zen3 then you already ready for it. also sometimes depending on which sticks you buy they will only give you basic xmp timings on the box but you may plug them in and have some really loose sub timings. (happened to me on some corsair vengeance) so doesn't hurt to have a little headroom. so that said grab the better sticks whenever possible. they are prob more expensive for a reason. also Zen2 loves some micron E die. edit: check the vid from derbauer below.

So Zen3 may have a higher FLCK especially if you're saying the new xt's are hitting 2000, but nobody will know for sure till they drop. Really I know if i was doing a build, at this point i'd prob try to stick it out till Zen3, but that's just me. but at least with this gen, memory performance is gonna give you the biggest boost in overall performance. so don't skimp too much either way.

This means the 3800x will be sold off at a discount in August. I'll be picking one up.

Intel has left the chat.

I was planning on getting the 3600 or 3700X but now it makes much more sense to get the 3600XT...especially if it's the same price as the previous 3600X

why no 3700XT?...the leaks say only 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT

I was planning on getting the 3600 or 3700X but now it makes much more sense to get the 3600XT...especially if it's the same price as the previous 3600X

why no 3700XT?...the leaks say only 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT

They already have a 3800x. A 3700xt would basically be a 3800x. What makes you think a 3600xt will be the same price as a 3600x?

They already have a 3800x. A 3700xt would basically be a 3800x. What makes you think a 3600xt will be the same price as a 3600x?

I thought I read it someplace but prices will probably be a bit higher...either way it makes sense to wait for July before buying anything...plus hopefully some reviews will be out on the best B550 boards and the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk will hopefully be widely available by then as well

AMD gets to play nVidia, makes sense to me, why cannibalize your own sales when you have a competitively strong product... with that being said if true, I'm just going to pickup a 10700K and wait to see what the landscape is like in the coming years.

I thought I read it someplace but prices will probably be a bit higher...either way it makes sense to wait for July before buying anything...plus hopefully some reviews will be out on the best B550 boards and the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk will hopefully be widely available by then as well

Always good to wait for reviews, but honestly, you are better off getting a 'mid-tier' x570 over a 'high end' B550 if your target is $200-$300 as the x570 will have the better i/o.

Id be ok with a pause for the rest of the year.
It's fine to up sku with XT, push b550, reformulate x570 with some better cheaper boards ala Tomahawk/unify/etc.
Maybe release a run of 2000 series AF CPUs.

$300 b550 Taichi makes me throw up in my mouth a little

Welp.....I guess the ONLY reason i would even be remotely interested if the overclocks are better? Either way I am moving toward a NZXT H1 ITX build for the future, so overclocking wont be all that important.

Bring on Zen 3!

Don't forget that this pushes prices lower on the 3600x, 3700x, and so on.
Like people keep saying, AMD is competing with itself, and for the consumer, that is a good thing.

Not unless they stop making the non XT parts and force you to overpay for that extra sweet 100mhz boost yo!

This is such an nVidia move imo, I'm willing to bet Zen 3 is not going to come in as cheap as people are hoping/expecting after seeing this shit.

Not unless they stop making the non XT parts and force you to overpay for that extra sweet 100mhz boost yo!

This is such an nVidia move imo, I'm willing to bet Zen 3 is not going to come in as cheap as people are hoping/expecting after seeing this shit.

I don’t expect it too. When they have no competition you charge as much as you can. Intel and Nvidia both do it, so why shouldn’t Amd ya know?

Hardware Unboxed mentioned early XT testing is 4% uplift for +20% $?
They are coming out at the launch prices for the original chips, so no price increase. Considering current non xt chips are cheaper then launch prices I think you will see no price adjustments, or minimal at best.

20% was the diff btw msrp and current retail.
I’m not sure there’s enough uplift for me at first glance with zen3 looming.
Might be good for those that cling to 300 series boards.

I could be horribly wrong and this post is based purely on the specs so far (real world performance is something else, especially if all core boosts go up significantly from the current 4-4.1ghz all core):

I'm coming away with the opinion that this is an even worse launch than Intel's 9th gen with the exception of the 9900K (which is arguably the only desirable model in that launch).

This targets nobody to upgrade. If Zen2 didn't make you want to upgrade, this won't either.

I could be horribly wrong and this post is based purely on the specs so far (real world performance is something else, especially if all core boosts go up significantly from the current 4-4.1ghz all core):

I'm coming away with the opinion that this is an even worse launch than Intel's 9th gen with the exception of the 9900K (which is arguably the only desirable model in that launch).

This targets nobody to upgrade. If Zen2 didn't make you want to upgrade, this won't either.

It's a nice to have for those of us that put off upgrading. If I can find a board, it may make me reconsider 3950 vs 3900 a bit (probably still go 3950X, need the cores).

I wouldn't really compare this with Intel's 9th generation release. This is a mid-cycle refresh rather than a brand new generation.

These are chips that are purely to satisfy the upgrade itch many people have had as of late. With rumors circulating that Zen 3 is delayed to January 2021 now the wait is 7 months. That's enough for some people who have been waiting to upgrade to throw in the towel and get the latest and greatest from AMD and just be happy.

early rumors had Base clocks being a bit higher on the XT chips but they're the exact same as their X counterparts...the new CPU's have only a 100MHz increase in Boost clocks...I don't see the point unless there's something else I'm missing...a 3600XT with a Base clock of 4.0 would have been the bee's knees

early rumors had Base clocks being a bit higher on the XT chips but they're the exact same as their X counterparts...the new CPU's have only a 100MHz increase in Boost clocks...I don't see the point unless there's something else I'm missing...a 3600XT with a Base clock of 4.0 would have been the bee's knees

Yeap, no point to switching to these chips unless you are a new buyer to the market and want it now. The reality is that these are directed at ppl on the fence between Intel and AMD. It seems AMD is confident that a slight boost clock bump is enough to close the marginal gaming deficit. I also think some are hoping that these are some super binned parts... but ugh no improvement in all core clocks, no care imo.

Btw, I don't know why I didn't see this before but all they did was bring the XT chips to the same level as the 3950x.

Last edited:
So long as there is no delay in Zen 3 / 4000 series chips (I'd like to see Ryzen in Sept/Oct and TR by November if possible), I don't see any problem with the XT versions. It seems like they're simply replacing the previous versions with XT variants for the same cost, so thats a nice benefit ; the only concern is that sales on these may not go as deeply as they did without this revamp. I do have to admit I wonder why they couldn't have offered a 3950XT, with some additional performance - especially considering its price, most threads + highest clock rates, it seems like it would really benefit from being able to add higher base and boost clocks. The only conclusion I can draw is that perhaps there's no room on the 3950X , even with the XT process enhancements? Still, would have been nice to see a 3950XT w/ 4.8 -5.0 all core turbo under sufficient cooling.

I think you are missing the point. They are still producing zen2 and their bins are getting better. So, they tacked on a few MHz to existing products and kept the exact same MSRP. How is this anything like what you're describing from 8th -> 9th gen. AMD isn't claiming this is a new generation, there is nothing else changing, just they are increasing the frequency on a a few parts for the same price. Guess people need something to complain about. Real world performance will be minimal, lots of people will be waiting for zen3, these are just to take the place of existing items (which ARE still selling) since they are now getting slightly better binning.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back