ryzen 3900x thermal paste methonds

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
So id like to know what you guys use for your 3900x/3950x to put paste on and what works best i been trying to get my temps down with my loop seems like my temps should be under 85c in prime95 smallfft with a pbo overclock and 78-82c with my 4.3ghz overclock on 1.26vcore seems to be a thermal paste job i just cant seem to get it perfect. My gpu in same loop only hits 44c tops even playing farcry 5 for hrs.

There isn't going to be a huge difference, regardless of what method you use. I generally prefer to put the paste on, and then use a clean finger to manually spread it around evenly on the heat-spreader before I put the heatsink / waterblock on.

I used to just put a blob in the center and let it spread out automatically when I put the heatsink or waterblock on, but that usually either resulted in paste never making it to the corners of the heat-spreader, or excess paste squished off the side of the heat-spreader in a messy manner, depending on how much paste I used.

Prime95 Small FFT with AVX enabled is pretty much going to be a worst case scenario in terms of heat, and not representative of real-world usage. What temperatures do you get during a run of something like Cinebench R20?

Using my Cooler Master ML360R 360mm AIO with 6 high static-pressure high-CFM fans in push-pull, an aggressive fan curve, and ambient temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) results in temps of about 76C during Prime95 Small FFT with AVX. But I also have my radiator on an intake, so it's always being fed fresh cool air, and I don't have my GPU contributing heat to the liquid either. It seems like we're not that far apart in terms of temps.

under 70c in real world stuff and cb20 usualy my fans arent set to max mosty on a fan curve dont ramp up till 65c. I was just thinking i might used wrong jet my water block came setup for intel and i changed it to am4 but dont think i changed the jet no manual came with it so i was kinda flying blind im using a EK-Velocity Strike RGB

As long as you cover the IHS with paste, the application method of it quite literally doesn't matter.

Youre trying to cool this
1591689537645.png

with a heatspreader the size of a postage stamp

Lower your voltage a little

i did get much better temps took about 20-30 remounts but dropped the temps by 5c on each chiplet for everyday stuff i dont break 60c now. Im ocd about some stuff lol and i been fighting a noise in this new setup finaly traced it down to one of the pumps in the dual res has went bad and was cycling on and off causing vibrations.

Back