Ryzen 3900x + Asus TUF x570-plus wifi................ ECC support?

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this sounds completely insane, but I would like to put quad 64GB sticks of DDR4 3200 on my 3900x (256GB RAM - database and dev/test server) and it looks like the only way to do this is by going ECC.

I've read that this is doable on Ryzen..... but I'm not sure if it will work... I'd look to get Samsung ECC but has anyone tried anything like this?

Many Ryzen motherboards will accept ECC memory, but won't actually do the error correction. I've never seen anyone attempt a comprehensive list of which boards error correct, and the manufacturers don't usually publish it for whatever reason. I've no idea if your TUF board does error correction; I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

Should work just fine. In our Gigabyte boards it definitely works witness the broken RAM sticks that they detected.

ECC generally works if the mobo manufacturer officially states ECC support in the mobo specs. With the ASUS TUF X570-PLUS you are in luck, it supports ECC as long as your CPU does.
Many Ryzen motherboards will accept ECC memory, but won't actually do the error correction.
You mean Ryzen mobos which claim ECC support but don't actually correct? Can you link to a source for this? The only article I am aware of is an older one from HardwareCanucks, but the author bases his conclusion on a lack of understanding of what happens in case of uncorrectable errors.

ECC generally works if the mobo manufacturer officially states ECC support in the mobo specs. With the ASUS TUF X570-PLUS you are in luck, it supports ECC as long as your CPU does.

You mean Ryzen mobos which claim ECC support but don't actually correct? Can you link to a source for this? The only article I am aware of is an older one from HardwareCanucks, but the author bases his conclusion on a lack of understanding of what happens in case of uncorrectable errors.

Thanks for the info. So it looks like the 3900x does, in fact, support ECC..... I guess another question would be if LRDIMMs are (technically) supported.... I'm looking at something like this out of a Lenovo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255332232206?hash=item3b72fcac0e:g:xY4AAOSwJZpidF5Y

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Probably not for most/all am4 boards. AFAIK, ryzen AM4 cpus don't support registered memory, and all LRDIMMs are registered.
Oh that's right I forgot about that - only UDIMM's on these platforms... dang... guess I'll wait until I can get an epyc ATX board.

Back