Ryzen 3300X & 3100 Launch Review Round Up Thread

Schro

[H]F Junkie
As you probably saw a couple weeks ago, AMD announced its Ryzen 3 3300X and Ryzen 3 3100 CPUs to round out its third generation Ryzen processors. There's been plenty of speculation, such as the 3300X being faster than Intel's 7700K, the layout of the CCX complexes and its overclocking prowess. Today, the embargo lifted on performance reviews, so below you'll see our compilation of reviews as we see them roll in from across the web. If we miss any, please post 'em and we'll add them.

The FPS Review - 3300X | 3100

PC Perspective - 3300X & 3100

Legit Reviews - 3300X & 3100

Tech Power Up - 3300X | 3100

Guru3D - 3300X & 3100

Hot Hardware - 3300X & 3100

OC3D - 3300X & 3100

AnandTech - 3300X & 3100

Tom's Hardware - 3300X & 3100

Phoronix - 3300X & 3100

Last edited:
My i7-4770k is crying at these reviews.

Why? That CPU is fully SEVEN years old and is still viable. I'd call that a helluva value.

Edit: Woof, what happened to Anandtech? The rendering and encoding benchmarks are comparing these new AMD chips to Intel's 8086K, 7700K, 6700K, and 4790K. :eek:

Last edited:
My i7-4770k is crying at these reviews.

I just upgraded from my 4770k to a 3700X. Lets be honest, its 7 years old. It is still reasonably good!

But it's time to upgrade. It had a good life.

I'm honestly thinking of reusing the 4770k to upgrade one of my parents machines, as really that's all they need.

Thanks for actual news, in the news forum. :)

Looking good for budget gamers. The R3 3300x is hanging right in there, with the previous favorite, the R5 3600.

I just upgraded from my 4770k to a 3700X. Lets be honest, its 7 years old. It is still reasonably good!

But it's time to upgrade. It had a good life.

I'm honestly thinking of reusing the 4770k to upgrade one of my parents machines, as really that's all they need.

Did you "feel" the upgrade in day to day usage? I have an i7 4790k and I feel like I would feel a smoothness if I upgraded to even a 3600. I have lots of apps open at any given time.

Did you "feel" the upgrade in day to day usage? I have an i7 4790k and I feel like I would feel a smoothness if I upgraded to even a 3600. I have lots of apps open at any given time.
The difference between a 6700K and 2700X was substantial in SMP applications and video rendering, not to mention general purpose tasks; single-thread was modestly weaker, though.
However, the difference between a 6700K and 3800X was massive in both SMP and single-threaded applications, and was well worth the upgrade.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
The biggest shock here is Intel tryting to sell an unlocked quad core for 200 dollars.

That's just adorable.

I think AMD just delivered a fatality blow to Intel.

giphy.gif

Well, Intel IS about to release new CPU's with much more competitive pricing, but with mandatory new motherboards of course because Intel got to Intel.

My 4770k seems ok for what I use it for. I'm really wishy-washy on upgrading since it does what I need. it also has 2 NVME drives in it (Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard) with 32G ddr3. Maybe I'll wait for Zen3?

In short, YES. Day 1 I could tell a difference just on my day to day usage.

Part of that I am sure was upgrading to a NVMe SSD from a SATA SSD (I was on a Z87 board and had no options to add a M.2 SSD)

Then I loaded some games, YES there was a difference right off the bat. More stable framerates, higher framerates even on the same GPU (I'm using the same GTX 1080 I had, I'm not upgrading till Ampere or RDNA2)

To be completely honest, I almost regret not going and just sucking it up for the 3900X, but this chip was more a stopgap till 4000 series comes out anyway.

You will see an uplift. It is worth the upgrade IMO.

Plus the new consoles later this year will be 8 thread 16 core based on Zen 2... the new games WILL be expecting at least that and a NVMe drive...

If you want to get ahead of the game, I'd seriously consider looking into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvinh
like this
Sad 7700k owner. I've posted my thoughts more than once around here but I just kick myself for canceling a 1800x preorder on launch day. I turned around and ordered a 7700k the same day to upgrade a 2600k machine. All the 1080p gaming stuff scared me off and the 5 ghz was really appealing. I also thought Intel would have to fight back with a better bang for your buck.

My 7700k is still viable but my goodness, it's equivalent to a $120 CPU already.... woot for the march of technology.

GN does some comparisons between 3100/3300x at same clock speeds and it really shows the big difference in gaming is from latency,This was already known, but this demonstrates it well.:

HWUB also did some clock-for-clock testing using AMD's favorite benchmark Cinebench. Which turns out, is practically immune to latency issues, one of the very few benchmarks that show zero difference between 3100/3300x when equal clocked. This is why Cinebench is the perfect AMD benchmark. Not only is it embarrassingly parallel, it is also hides latency issues:

It seems like the ideal AMD gaming CPU would happen if they update their CCX archticture to have more cores per CCX, and have an 8 cores single CXX with lower latency. Perhaps we will have this in Zen 3.

It seems like the ideal AMD gaming CPU would happen if they update their CCX archticture to have more cores per CCX, and have an 8 cores single CXX with lower latency. Perhaps we will have this in Zen 3.
There's been a lot of talk that that's the plan. I believe it's been confirmed, but I can't check right now as I'm walking my dog.
Edit: apparently not.

When was the last time there was a cheap CPU this good? I remember building an FX-6100 HTPC years ago. It was a nice little rig.

I mean, FX wasn't great, but for $99 it did well for 720P gaming (280X). But even then it was not pulling punches with the big dawgs.

This is an incredible value proposition.

Last edited:
1_rick I wouldn't mind seeing a single CCX 6-core sooner or later. Of course that would suggest possible 24-core mainstream part when that happens lmao.
Okay, maybe too high an expectation then.

1_rick I wouldn't mind seeing a single CCX 6-core sooner or later. Of course that would suggest possible 24-core mainstream part when that happens lmao.
Okay, maybe too high an expectation then.
I want an APU with that...

I want them everywhere :)

From the Techpowerup gaming benchmarks, sometimes the i3-9100F beat those chips. I'd like to see how the i3-10100 will perform.

Back