Ryzen 3000 Processors Listed on Russian Retail Site

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Just a week ahead of CES 2019, where AMD allegedly has plans to launch new Ryzen processors, the Russian retailer E-Katalog listed several Ryzen 3000 series "Matisse (Zen 2)" processors. At the top of the stack, the Ryzen 9 3800X features 16 cores and 32 threads, a 3.9Ghz base clock, a 4.7Ghz turbo speed, and a 125W TDP all squeezed into the AMD AM4 socket. A click-through link implies (but doesn't confirm) that the processors are compatible with existing AM4 motherboards listed on the site, and it also mentions that the 3800X was built on a 7nm process.

Meanwhile E-Katalog seems to have the whole Ryzen 3000 family listed in its own category. The 3700X, for example, allegedly turbos all the way up to 5ghz, while the 3700 squeezes 12 cores and 24 threads running at a base frequency of 3.8 Ghz into a 95W TDP, and the Ryzen 3 3300 at the bottom of the stack fits 6 cores with SMT into a dimutive 50W TDP. E-Katalog hasn't listed a price or responded to comments on the site yet, but 1 reviewer claims his Ryzen 3 runs at "5Ghz on air." Obviously, all this needs to be take with a grain of salt, and we'll just have to see if these listed specifications pan out. Thanks to cageymaru and Videocardz for the tip.

From the looks of it, I think 3700X would be the sweat spot that doesn't melt the badly designed VRMs on many X470/B450 boards. 3800X is going to be watercooling only. Heck, it's desirable to have watercooling for a 2700X already.

giphy.gif

I doubt it. Dollars to donuts, Zen 2 will still be behind in IPC - just not by as much. And 256b workloads should improve dramatically. I'm betting on IPC within 3-5% of Intel, this time around.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. If they get within 5% of intels per core IPC it will be a huge win for AMD, and I think they'll be there this time around. Beating Coffee Lake though? Yeah, not gonna happen.

If these rumors are true, I could see swapping my 2700X out for a 3700X.

I've already earmarked $2500 for a new system this year with another $1400 coming in before the 3850X is launched so I'll be replacing my 1600x

Could this be a scam site? How could they be selling unannounced unreleased products? I'm sure Zen2 will be great, but I'm skeptical about those clocks.

Could this be a scam site? How could they be selling unannounced unreleased products? I'm sure Zen2 will be great, but I'm skeptical about those clocks.

Because they copied it over from AdoredTV

Or they already have stuff that is under NDA and a temp made a mistake

My 7600K I got before even a beta bios was out, like 3 weeks before shops where allowed to sell them

I doubt it. Dollars to donuts, Zen 2 will still be behind in IPC - just not by as much. And 256b workloads should improve dramatically. I'm betting on IPC within 3-5% of Intel, this time around.

The 2700x is already only 3% to 5% behind Intel in IPC when you test them at equal clock speeds. Intel's Higher clock speeds (basically just brute forcing it's gain) is the only reason it appears much higher. So it is reasonable for the Zen 2 to equal if not beat Intel's IPC this time around, specially at equal clocks speeds.

A scam would require them to sell something, this is much like a preorder page, it is also not the first time something like this has happened, where a retailer designs the new release or preorder page and publishes it to the web and people find it. In most cases however once it hits a few news sites, the pages are taken down pretty quick because of NDA.

Starting to feel like the good ol AMD days of yore and my x79/3930K combo is growing long in tooth.

It's crazy that my 5ghz 7700k still seems to be plenty for everything I do. Gaming, IT/office work, an intermittent VM or two. Very rarely will a task push all cores to 100% utilization for more than a few seconds. What a badass time to be an enthusiast with 12+ cores and nearly 5ghz being possible.

My wife's Phenom II x4 is just starting to feel a little slow for internet and office tasks and it's nearly 10 years old.

The 2700x is already only 3% to 5% behind Intel in IPC when you test them at equal clock speeds. Intel's Higher clock speeds (basically just brute forcing it's gain) is the only reason it appears much higher. So it is reasonable for the Zen 2 to equal if not beat Intel's IPC this time around, specially at equal clocks speeds.

It's more like 9% according to The Stilt's deep dive over at Anand. But it's actually a bifurcated average. On the latency-sensitive side, the difference is larger. On the throughput side, it is less.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. If they get within 5% of intels per core IPC it will be a huge win for AMD, and I think they'll be there this time around. Beating Coffee Lake though? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Yeah, they probably will. And without the clockspeed penalty (if these rumors/leaks are true), the gaming difference will be background noise.

From the looks of it, I think 3700X would be the sweat spot that doesn't melt the badly designed VRMs on many X470/B450 boards. 3800X is going to be watercooling only. Heck, it's desirable to have watercooling for a 2700X already.

It depends all of the cpu are rated in TDP /Watts all you need to do is get a cooler that can dissipate it, the complexity with Threadripper cooling and the dies being across from each other was something that you need to keep in mind when you were cooling Threadripper being 180 Watt rated TDP).
These chips are still rated low enough for air cooling to do a good to decent job.
As you said that it is more likely that the combination of power delivery and VRM cooling will be stretched on some B350/B450 boards but if the board can take a TDP 105 Watt cpu now it should not pose a problem to do it also for Ryzen 3000 series.

I'm pretty sure the "5Ghz on air" noted in the homepage link is a jab at Intel's claim a few years ago that their chips would hit 5ghz on air while simultaneously being powered and cooled by a potato.

Back