Ryzen 3000 non-X

balnazzar

Weaksauce
Hi. I'm in search of the best tdp/performance ratio, since the computer I'm building will likely function 24/7.

I'm still unable to find reliable informations about the 3900 non-X, which should provide very good performance in a tdp of ~65W. It has been speculated that such processor (along with a 3700 non-x) would be launched with the new threadrippers. Can anyone refute or confirm? Thanks.

Hi. I'm in search of the best tdp/performance ratio, since the computer I'm building will likely function 24/7.

I'm still unable to find reliable informations about the 3900 non-X, which should provide very good performance in a tdp of ~65W. It has been speculated that such processor (along with a 3700 non-x) would be launched with the new threadrippers. Can anyone refute or confirm? Thanks.

"AMD is launching a lower power 12-core Ryzen 9 3900 into the world-wide market for system integrators"

Just get a 3900x and use the 65w TDP feature in your bios. It will make the chip act exactly within a 65watt TDP.

You will only be able to get a 3900 through an OEM like Dell or HP or Acer etc...

This is the official route AMD is releasing these chips and only that route. Now whats to say you wont see one on ebay, because in time you will.

All Ryzen 3000 chips can be made to run in 65 watt TDP mode. Its a feature in the bioses of X570 boards. I am not sure about older boards.

Im using a Ryzen 3600 which is a 65 watt chip. I also have a 3900x and its waaaaay more than TDP hah

I have Precision Boost enabled on mine as well as PB2 and this is my power output of the cpu using CPUZ stress test

upload_2019-11-2_20-20-16.png

Honestly, for general computing I just moved to the 3600 non-X from an Intel 9600 at 5Ghz. I am running it on a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra (the 120 buck one). RAM is currently 4 x 8 GB sticks at 3733 and processor is running steadily, all cores, at 4.2 Ghz. 200 bucks for the CPU and 120 for the MB, just moved my RAM over and all was good.

I picked it up to see how it stacks up against Intel processors and, quite frankly, general performance just puts my rodded out Intel to shame. We shall see how the Single Threaded apps feel for me.

Otherwise go with go with Tangoseal's recommendation if you have no budget limitations.

Update: 11/3/2019: I was able to get the processor to an all Core 4,250 Mhz Stable, had to play with my RAM settings to correct the fact that it was posting at speeds that caused the Ryzen to throttle the fabric interconnect, once I got that figured out my performance started edging closer to a stock 3700X and my Single Thread performance jumped past previous levels, putting it behind Intel by a couple measly percent (5-6% Lower ST performance). I will keep playing with it, but the RAM is finally Stable and I'm not sure how much headroom my "Cheapo" 3600 has left in it. Core Voltage of the processor is dialed up to 1.4 though in usage the processor sits happily around and under 1.38.

Last edited:
Just get a 3900x and use the 65w TDP feature in your bios. It will make the chip act exactly within a 65watt TDP.

You will only be able to get a 3900 through an OEM like Dell or HP or Acer etc...

This is the official route AMD is releasing these chips and only that route. Now whats to say you wont see one on ebay, because in time you will.

All Ryzen 3000 chips can be made to run in 65 watt TDP mode. Its a feature in the bioses of X570 boards. I am not sure about older boards.

Im using a Ryzen 3600 which is a 65 watt chip. I also have a 3900x and its waaaaay more than TDP hah

I have Precision Boost enabled on mine as well as PB2 and this is my power output of the cpu using CPUZ stress test

View attachment 197048

Interesting. Would you please post the same measurements for your 3900X? Thanks!

Apart from this, I'd really like to avoid x570 and its pesky fan.. I wonder if the same tdp-limiting feature is available for B450/X470...

Honestly, for general computing I just moved to the 3600 non-X from an Intel 9600 at 5Ghz. I am running it on a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra (the 120 buck one). RAM is currently 4 x 8 GB sticks at 3733 and processor is running steadily, all cores, at 4.2 Ghz. 200 bucks for the CPU and 120 for the MB, just moved my RAM over and all was good.

I picked it up to see how it stacks up against Intel processors and, quite frankly, general performance just puts my rodded out Intel to shame. We shall see how the Single Threaded apps feel for me.

Otherwise go with go with Tangoseal's recommendation if you have no budget limitations.

Thanks, that's valuable feedback. I honestly hoped not to get below 8 cores, maybe I'll settle for the 3700x.

Interesting. Would you please post the same measurements for your 3900X? Thanks!

Apart from this, I'd really like to avoid x570 and its pesky fan.. I wonder if the same tdp-limiting feature is available for B450/X470...

I honestly never have my fan on my x570 turn on. It is set in the BIOS to not spin up until the chip is over 70, I think it may be 80, degrees. Even running Prime95 for 30+ minutes does not heat the chipset up enough to run the fan.

the fan on x570 is a non issue, pretty much all the AIB's updated their bios to have zero fan mode and the fan will legit never turn on except when booting. it's just there as an oh shit protection if you happen to have a runaway heat issue since the chipset lacks the ability to downclock it's self.. my chipset runs at a constant 49C even with a hot ass vega 56 blowing hot air directly on it with the zero fan option set to not turn on below 65C by default.

either way if 8 cores is what you want, ya can't go wrong with the 3700x, damn good chip for the price and power usage on zen 2 is stupid low especially at idle which sits at ~10-15w. ignore TDP with AMD though, it's meaningless unless you plan to run at base clocks.

either way if 8 cores is what you want, ya can't go wrong with the 3700x, damn good chip for the price and power usage on zen 2 is stupid low especially at idle which sits at ~10-15w. ignore TDP with AMD though, it's meaningless unless you plan to run at base clocks.

I know. But even outside the base clock envelope, you get pretty good power draws. The 3700X manages to stay within 90W even during stress tests. See for example: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-3.html

Zen2 seems to be the real deal these days. I'm just a bit worried about: AVX2 performance, lack of AVX-512, and Intel MKL performance. The latter seems to have improved a lot W.R.T. Zen/Zen+, though.

More to the point about the chipset fan: your personal experience constitutes an useful feedback. Consider, though, the my usage scenario is a bit different.. I have to run the system with 2 gpus (8x/8x, for deep learning), plus another crappy one in the 2.0 4x slot (video output). There will be a lot of data traffic on the pcie bus.. If the fan starts to spin, it will be annoying..

I understand that the msi "MAX" family (b450/x470) should be compatible out-of-the-box with Zen2, shoudn't it?

More to the point about the chipset fan: your personal experience constitutes an useful feedback. Consider, though, the my usage scenario is a bit different.. I have to run the system with 2 gpus (8x/8x, for deep learning), plus another crappy one in the 2.0 4x slot (video output). There will be a lot of data traffic on the pcie bus.. If the fan starts to spin, it will be annoying..

I understand that the msi "MAX" family (b450/x470) should be compatible out-of-the-box with Zen2, shoudn't it?
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX:
upload_2019-11-3_8-24-34.png

7C02v30.zip says it's a new BIOS, however, no other BIOS is listed for the Motherboard. It's quite possible it ships with this one.

Version
7C02v30
Release Date
2019-07-11
File Size
18.15 MB

You can flash the bios without a Video Card or RAM, so... You might be able to update the bios even with an incompatible processor.

Back