Ryzen 3000 Eng. Samples @ 4.5 GHz+? / +15% IPC? & AMD X570 chipset gets PCIE 4.0 and USB 3.1 gen2

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Sabrewulf..., Apr 29, 2019.

1. Sabrewulf...

Sabrewulf... Gawd

Some rumor and some info?

"AMD Ryzen samples have been sent to motherboard manufacturers for product validation, these engineering samples already run 4.5 GHz...

...Typically, and I do say this with a bit of hesitation and care, engineering samples run slower opposed to the final SKUs. Apparently, the manufacturers are also preparing for CPUs with 12 and 16 cores (well yeah .. doh!).

While these engineering samples reportedly are running 4.5 GHz, IPC improvements also are mentioned to be 15% clock for clock."

Sounding pretty good no? Now give us 5 GHz and 16 cores!

Maybe a new build is finally coming. Goodbye my sweet Haswell?...

index.png

index.png

AltTabbins, lRaphl, Archaea and 2 others like this.
  2. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Engineering samples this close to launch are probably identical to launch CPUs. I wouldn't expect any changes between now and launch unless there is a drastic issue.

I hope the specs are true. I need to upgrade soon to get another m.2 slot and have been waiting for Ryzen 3 benches before making any decisions.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Something something ipc something ...

Sweet jesus look at that rock on her finger.

... anyway,

Yeah, i would agree with Kardonxt and not expect any significant difference in speeds at this point. In fact if something changes NOW it would be most likely downward, as more statistical analysis comes in and they build in safety margins for yields.
    Still - promising and fun. I'd really like a very highly clocked 8 core with a little bump in IPC as well.

I was about to say I was looking forward to the [H] review, and now I'm sad again.

4. German Muscle

German Muscle [H]ardness Supreme

how many nm is that diamond in the ring holy hell.

5. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

Well you can quote me from most of the other Zen rumor threads saying I'd be happy as hell to see an 8 core with a modest IPC gain that I can run ~4.6-4.7ghz 24/7 (overclocked).. So this rumor is almost as if somebody has read my mind. As long as the price isn't much more than a launch 2700x, I'm finally upgrading from my aging 4790k and into 9900k performance territory.

The only reason I never bought a 2700x is because the single core performance is practically the same as my current setup from 2014. This would give it the edge.

GhostCow and PhaseNoise like this.
  6. Nunu

Nunu Limp Gawd

man, that's one huge cubic zirconia. Will these new cpus be faster than intel'l latest gen?

jmilcher, geok1ng and Armenius like this.
  7. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Ryzen 2 was around Haswell when it came to IPC, so I think a 15% gain from that would put it squarely into Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake/Covfefe Lake/WTF Lake territory or better.

Sulphademus, dvsman, jmilcher and 2 others like this.
  8. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

My take away is smart girls will cost you a lot of dough.

RAutrey, Sufu, harmattan and 11 others like this.
  9. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

You get a ROI.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  10. Geforcepat

Geforcepat Gawd

11. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Yeah it's time for that to be the 'guest gaming rig'. Maybe even retire the old Scythe ninja, that thing has a service record that makes the 2600k look new.

12. kamikazi

kamikazi Limp Gawd

My thoughts exactly.

Armenius and Geforcepat like this.
  13. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

Well, I want to see what the voltage-frequency curve looks like, but I am guessing that AMD is going to clock the processor at the edge of the optimal range.

What you might end up with is like 25% increase in voltage for 5% increase in frequency.

14. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

This is certainly possible.

15. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I'd go a step further and it's almost certain that it will not be a graph for optimized power. They will almost certainly tilt towards performance, but the numbers remain to be seen.

If they burn some extra watts, this forum will point that out. If they miss the mark on performance completely, everyone will point that out.

And yes, we'll all hope for a golden chip for our own purchases, but it would be wise so assume AMD will burn close to the limit for even stock settings.

16. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

17. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

Well, Intel pretty much redefined what TDP means when it released a 180W processor with a "95W" TDP.

You have to wonder if AMD is going to follow suit.

Sulphademus, Revdarian, dgz and 2 others like this.
  18. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

There is an active thread on this in the AMD subforum as well.

19. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I assume they will, and I'm honestly not sure what to think of it. For "most people", the usage is a browser and maybe a word processor. Both have very low utilization numbers overall, so the claimed duty cycles are probably not completely inaccurate.

But is that fair to claim that? I guess I would personally prefer if the TDP represented something closer to a max envelope rather than coming up with increasingly-creative time based metrics of bursty workloads. But at the same time, most people ARE using simple apps which sit idle and have bursts (browsers, most notably).

Glad I'm not in marketing. "He is a product of your profession. Not mine."

Keljian likes this.
  20. sleepeeg3

sleepeeg3 [H]ardness Supreme

alxlwson likes this.
  21. GSDragoon

GSDragoon [H]Lite

Sounds like the 12 and 16 core versions won't be available at the same time as the 6 and 8, or am I interpereting wording wrong?

22. travm

travm Limp Gawd

I'm totally ok with that.
    They already gave us 220w cpu's, do I see 250?

23. ohms

ohms Gawd

All of AMDs R&D money is on that ring. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armenius likes this.
  24. zehoo

zehoo Limp Gawd

The IPC gains that it provides must be insane! :chicken::clown:

Armenius likes this.
  25. pillagenburn

pillagenburn Gawd

Im thinking of a 16-core 200w+ CPU that will double as a crowd control device.

26. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

$699

bye-bye wallet

27. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

Keep in mind that AMD must consider current motherboard VRM designs and limitations (X370, B450, X470, etc.) when deciding TDP and power draw in general for these new CPUs.
    The current high-end 2700X is 105W TDP. Thus the new CPUs will also max at 105W TDP in order to not push current MB VRMs beyond their design specs. Whatever speed that allows with whatever number of cores there are is what it will be.

Now, this is pure speculation on my part, but it is possible for AMD to have two series of Zen2 CPUs: Series 1 is the "backward compatible series" with 105W max TDP for current-gen and previous gen MBs. Series 2 (possibly released later in the year) is the "next gen higher power series Zen2" designed for newer generation MBs with higher power VRM designs (including new X570-based and maybe some old and brand new 2nd gen high-end enthusiast X470 boards too if the VRMs are sufficient to handle > 105W TDP).
    This would allow AMD to keep their promise of allowing current AM4 systems to be upgraded to Zen2 while also providing enthusiast CPUs with higher performance in certain cases where the MB can handle the higher current load and TDP greater than 105W.
    But I'm just guessing and maybe this is all too complicated. If it is too easy for Johnny to buy a 3850X and pop it into a A320 MB and pop the VRM, that could be problematic.

28. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

That's easy.

Allow the new 4-core Ryzen 3, 6-core Ryzen 5, and 8-core Ryzen 7 on older motherboards while restricting 12-core Ryzen 9 (and possibly 16-core Ryzen 9) to new motherboards.

Sulphademus, N4CR and Azrak like this.
  29. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Anyone that ran a first gen at 4.1Ghz or then 2nd gen @ 4.35Ghz AC turbo is well past that 105W TDP. I've done both on an Asus x370/470 Prime/P. Pro. This is without sctivr cooling on the VRMs since I have a massive custom loop and I am running 130% current with a very high Vcore.

There is no issue. AmD is going to lock out the A320 crowd and possibly the low low end B350 boards very easily. Via BIOS support.

AMD can simply say they cannot force the Mobo ODMs to release bios support.

The next easy way for this is to also only guarantee a base clock speed on older but good 3xx/4xx boards and allow the Mobo makers to make their own version of PBO/2/3 like Asus did for their x370 boards despite it being a "x470” only feature.

I'm certainly ready. The extra boost in .01% and 1% Frame Times coupled with a low input lag display and FreeSync is gaming on a new level.

30. pillagenburn

pillagenburn Gawd

Even the shittiest of shitty, diarrhea, defecation, fecal matter a320/b350 board will be able to run perfectly good 7nm CPU's ...so the $50 motherboard folks (and believe me I understand the desire to run a $50 board) should be happy with the choices they get, I mean you paid $50 and get access to THREE different process shrinks.... that should make you an AMD fan for a very, very long time to come.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  31. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

MY guess is JUST like with the Phenom 2 to FX and beyond: board manufacturers will update their QVL on boards that they believe will support the new CPUs.

Armenius and GHRTW like this.
  32. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

I keep hearing that the a320's will not be supported and I have no problem with that.

Armenius, harmattan and GHRTW like this.
  33. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD [H]ard|Gawd

Any bettors out there? The most exciting part in before a launch :p

I'm predicting:

Ryzen 9 3900X: 16C/32T 4.8GHz (single core) 4.4~4.5GHz (all core) boost - $499 (MSRP) (9900K competitor, ~5% behind in avg in single thread/poor thread synthetic benchmarks, multithreaded waaaaaay ahead, better bang-for-buck advantage)
    Ryzen 9 3800X: 16C/32T 4.6GHz (single core) 4.2~4.3GHz (all core) boost - $449
    Ryzen 7 3700X: 12C/24T 4.7GHz (single core) 4.3~4.4GHz (all core) boost - $349
    Ryzen 5 3600X: 8C/16T 4.5GHz (single core) 4.1~4.2GHz (all core) boost - $269
    Ryzen 3 3300X: 6C/12T 4.2GHz (single core) 3.8~4.0GHz (all core) boost - $179

I expect it to clock manually max 200-300MHz with a quite significant ~1.25% increase in voltage.

34. lostinseganet

lostinseganet [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe that diamond is really a processor?

Armenius likes this.
  35. Private_Ops

Private_Ops [H]ard|Gawd

Hope it drives the 2600(x) prices down.

36. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Yeah I would jump on a 2600X at 150-160.

37. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

38. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Lets be honest, do any of us here use A320 boards???

Armenius, N4CR, dvsman and 1 other person like this.
  39. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

forgot they even existed, lol.. but given they were bare minimum boards doubt the vrm's are even close to being able to support zen 2. realistically the only ones that were probably using a320 in mass was oem's which has little effect on them in the grand scheme of things.

Armenius and N4CR like this.
  40. Staples

Staples [H]ardness Supreme

15% IPC sounds nice and about the best anyone could have realistically expected. I just hope that is 15% clock for clock.