Ryzen 3 after 4 price speculation.

travm

[H]ard|Gawd
What are your thought on how ryzen 3000 will be priced after ryzen 4000 is launched?

I'm torn on upgrading my systems to a 2700 given the bargain basement pricing right now, but I'd really rather not and get a 3700 or better. Do you think the 3000 series will get the same discounts the 1xxx and 2xxx got when they were being helped out of the channel?

If I recall it was the 1700 and 1800 that were massively discounted, and it seems now b the 2700 and 2700x are getting that treatment.

The 3xxx series is quite a bit of a jump up from the 2xxx, generationally. If the 4xxx series has the same uplift it could mean deep discounts on the 3xxx series but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That's what I'm wondering. Maybe I should just buy one 2700 and leave my other system alone. If 4000 is boss and 3000 gets discounted I'll grab one, if not oh well at least I got one cheap upgrade

Do you game? Because in that case that single core performance jump on the Ryzen 3000 is not something to overlook. There's still tons of game that rely on that and make terrible use of multiple cores.

Do you game? Because in that case that single core performance jump on the Ryzen 3000 is not something to overlook. There's still tons of game that rely on that and make terrible use of multiple cores.

Absolutely true.

I had to turn off SMT and only run 2 CCDs in order to play Star Citizen smoothly

Having 48 threads made game run like a bucket of excrement.

Reactions: dgz
like this
tenor.gif

ask again later

Rumors currently point to zen 3 having a similar/higher performance uplift of 2000->3000, if these rumors are accurate then I'd say yes 3000 series will be bargain basement. Most of the rumors for zen 2 proved accurate with the exception of 5GHz clock rates.

Buy a 3600 for $180 and not worry about it? If I didn't have my 2700X, that's what I would do.

Or if you have a MC in your town a 3600 for $159 is a no brainer regardless of what's coming later this year.

Something to keep in mind is the change in the business side which may mean that AMD's past actions may not be indicative of what happens going forward. They may just greatly slash production closer to demand equilibrium.

Zen/+ was fabbed at Globalfoundries in which AMD still has a wafer share agreement with stemming from the initial separation of the 2 companies. This meant that AMD needed to guarantee certain volumes with GF regardless of whether or not they use the wafers. Something like this greatly changes the cost/benefit analysis with respect to older lower desirable products. Even selling essentially just above cost could be desirable as opposed to essentially paying a penalty.

Zen 2 is built at TSMC with as far as we know a conventional client relationship. There would be much less pressure (if any) to keep production going if it meant cratering prices to drive enough demand for what would be outdated products.

The other issue is that AMD is looking to improve their margins and product image. This may also lead them to actions that preserve higher ASPs and margins given the ability to better do so now.

As an aside Intel's upcoming Comet Lake may greatly affect Zen 2 desirability and pricing depending on what Intel's supply situation actually is. The bulk of DIY enthusiasts are still gaming focused builds and if HT is added into i5/i7 segments this would greatly gap thread/cost parity with AMDs current offerings if prices do not change.

Unless games drastically demand more cpu, im not sure 4 series is goong to supplant the 3 series so cut and dry.

Id say aim for a 3000 series and be very happy.

Kind of in the same boat here, but going to wait it out.

Have one PC left to upgrade. Currently have an x570 with a 2700 running in it because I was waiting for the 3950 to come back in stock. Now with just a few months left til R4 drops, I'm going to wait and see if the core improvements will be something that scales up for the 4950 for noticeable headroom improvement.

If not, the 3950 should be $600 by then and I'll just grab one and be done.

Edit: and then my daughter will be happy, as she'll get the 2700 to replace her 2400g

Unless games drastically demand more cpu, im not sure 4 series is goong to supplant the 3 series so cut and dry.

Id say aim for a 3000 series and be very happy.

Depends on the game.

I play Arma 3, which almost ignores the GPU and relies entirely on the CPU (in certain scenes the game drops to 25 FPS in ultra while using only 17% of GPU power, hahaha). Games that use Cryengine are also heavy CPU based, and then there's stuff like emulators if you are into those.

I would be willing to bet that the 3XXX series gets the same discount treatment as the 1XXX/2XXX at least on the 6 and 8 cores. The value of the 12/16 core models are more speculative since we haven't had that before. I would guess that the previous gen 12/16 core will be priced more like the 4XXX series 6 and 8 core. E.G. $200 for the 3900x and $350 for the 3950x.

Depends on the game.

I play Arma 3, which almost ignores the GPU and relies entirely on the CPU (in certain scenes the game drops to 25 FPS in ultra while using only 17% of GPU power, hahaha). Games that use Cryengine are also heavy CPU based, and then there's stuff like emulators if you are into those.

lol, was that why why Hunt: Showdown managed only 10-15 on my good old 2500k@4 + 1070?

My first and only Steam refund. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Heh, on my Ryzen 2600 Operation Flashpoint drops to 30 FPS if i set the viewing distance to max. No i'm not talking about Dragon Rising i'm talking about the original one from 2001 hahaha.

Just ordered a 3900 and new motherboard with DDR4 3400 ram.

I love that the next gen CPU's from AMD I might be able to just swap out with my 570 chipset and keep on rocking.

yea the big change for the 3 series and x570 is the pcie gen 4 which really bumps bandwith, 4xxx will use same and from what ive read x570 will support the 4xxx chips. kinda waiting on the b550 or w/e its going to be

I 've been following what happens to AMD EOL prices since AM3 era. Every time they go EOL, at least here in Europe, the "bottom line models", drop below EUR 100, with the bottom of the barrel going as low as EUR60. With Ryzen, this drop isn't as pronounced, because they are still "desirable" CPUs. For instance, the cheapest CPU now is Ryzen 1600 at EUR90 (and it's not the AF). I 'd say that based on this, the Ryzen 3000 series will drop in price, but will follow the trend of 2000 series and maybe keep their price a bit better, due to the higher "desireability". The part that will drop the most, will almost certainly be the 3600, followed by the 3600X, while the 3700X and above will maintain much better their price. Oracle out.

buy a 3000 CPU used on eBay and "wha la" ... instant discount no wait, prices there are still stupid high; never mind :barefoot:

Of course I could just buy the 3600, but I have two 1600s presently. Just want cheap upgrade for upgrades sake. The idea all along was to upgrade later as am4 was about to go eol. I'm just getting impatient, and the 2700 prices are insanely low right now.

Back