ryzen 3 3rd, or Ryzen 5 2nd?

Silvers24

Gawd
Or should I bother upgrading the CPU?
I have a ryzen 5 1400, I am upgrading the RAM today at microcenter, however curiosity got the best of me, and it seems as a 3rd gen R3 is at $80, and the 2nd Gen R5 is 99......
I was not planning to do the upgrade, but the ram is faster, I am going from 8GB to 16, should I push it and upgrade my current cpu?
And if so? Should I savbe $20, or spend $20 extra?

Thanks guys, I dont have much time, so any help til I go will be greatful!~

P.s. reason for the ram upgrade is because the website work + adobe apps I am using, and other stuff which is soaking my RAM alone. i'd assume the CPU can only help as well.
*And gaming with a rx 580 4gb. Now after posting this and checking that user bench website, seems like the ryzen 5 2600x might be the good one...

Last edited:
Ryzen 5 2600 is the way to go. It's a fantastic chip. Ryzen 3000 "R3" series APUs are re-badged Ryzen 2000, so you're asking if Zen 2 6/12 is better than Zen 2 4/4. The answer is that the 2600 is an AMAZING processor for the price.

Kaze, thank you so much.
I am totally rolling with a R5 2600x. It may break my f'ing bank. But the longterm value is worth it.
Then I can use my R5 1400 to barely upgrade my AM3+ AM8320 fX black build.
Or just sell the CPU here. I mean, if someone needs a R5 1400, OR just buy/trade me my 8320 and sabertooth mb, with corsair dom 4x4gb?
Sorry that is drunk solicitation and with no intention.

In nearly ALL benchmarks, the lowest-end Ryzen 1300 was 50-100% faster than the old 8350.

Its a significant upgrade.

Well then, it will be a wonderful upgrade overall to both my systems. As the 8320 I am still running to this day, but need to retire it. And the R5 1400 though I will need a mobo, be a good upgrade. :D
Plus it is all for work now. So thank you very much.

In nearly ALL benchmarks, the lowest-end Ryzen 1300 was 50-100% faster than the old 8350.

Its a significant upgrade.
Issues with some games looking for 6+ threads. Fx chips multi thread well, still. For general computing it's an upgrade, for gaming, it depends.

Kaze, thank you so much.
I am totally rolling with a R5 2600x. It may break my f'ing bank. But the longterm value is worth it.
Or just sell the CPU here. I mean, if someone needs a R5 1400, OR just buy/trade me my 8320 and sabertooth mb, with corsair dom 4x4gb?
Sorry that is drunk solicitation and with no intention.

Honestly, I'd drop that combo on ebay or something. I'm sure someone would pay good money for a working Sabertooth AM3+ board by itself. Probably pay for your upgrade outright.

Unless you plan on doing a board swap, the R5 1400 is an AM4 socket CPU and won't work in AM3+.

Issues with some games looking for 6+ threads. Fx chips multi thread well, still. For general computing it's an upgrade, for gaming, it depends.

The R5 1400 has eight threads, so it shouldn't be an issue with poorly coded games.

Ryzen 5 2nd. Big jump comes with the next gen, but can't say if 3 4th beats 5 2nd.

Back