Ryzen 3 1300x to Ryzen 5 1600X?

Homey D. Clown

Limp Gawd
Anyone know of any threads or articles comparing the 1300x to 1600x? Reason for asking is I currently have the 1300X and am considering upgrading to the 1600X

Anyone know of any threads or articles comparing the 1300x to 1600x? Reason for asking is I currently have the 1300X and am considering upgrading to the 1600X

Depends on what you do.. general gaming they'll be identical, but if you do a lot of multitasking and heavy thread usage then the 1600x will be much faster.

I think in more modern games, the 1600X would be a lot better. 4C/4T vs. 6C/12T makes a big difference.

As for 1600 vs. 1600X, it all depends at what price you get the 1600X. I got a combo that lowered the price to the same as the 1600.

I think in more modern games, the 1600X would be a lot better. 4C/4T vs. 6C/12T makes a big difference.

In MT games, certainly true. However, if the i5 series has taught us anything, is that there are still plenty of games that simply don't.

IMO I would hold off on upgrading, and see what the future presents. The 1600 represents, what I would argue, as a very large sidegrade. You gain nothing in single thread, but tons in multi-thread.

Assuming Ryzen 2 doesn't move off of the AM4 platform, there is the opportunity for gains across the entire board, instead of certain situations.

why the 1600x over the 1600?

Because it's currently only $10 more expensive and if you're going to overclock that's cheap insurance you're getting a little better silicon. 1600x is $200 shipped right now on Amazon and Newegg. That's a lot of CPU for the money.

In all honesty, if I had a 1300x and I wanted to upgrade, I wouldn't go to the 1600's. I would go to the 1700. Otherwise you leave yourself in position to go through this again.
I don't suppose you live close to a Microcenter, do you?

§

In all honesty, if I had a 1300x and I wanted to upgrade, I wouldn't go to the 1600's. I would go to the 1700. Otherwise you leave yourself in position to go through this again.
I don't suppose you live close to a Microcenter, do you?

§

Well, he only has 4 cores and 4 threads right now. The 1600x bumps you to 6 cores with 12 threads.

the1600x gives you almost double the performance in rendering and video encoding, and in multithreaded games it's up to 50% faster.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1455-ryzen-3/page2.html

I'm mixed on going 6 versus 8, since most games are seeing less improvement beyond 6 real cores. But 6 would definitely be enough of an upgrade to justify.

Last edited:
Well, he only has 4 cores and 4 threads right now. The 1600x bumps you to 6 cores with 12 threads.

the1600x gives you almost double the performance in rendering and video encoding, and in multithreaded games it's up to 50% faster.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1455-ryzen-3/page2.html

I'm mixed on going 6 versus 8, since most games are seeing less improvement beyond 6 real cores. But 6 would definitely be enough of an upgrade to justify.

As someone who had a 1600x and didn't have problems, if the 1700(x) was $30 more like it is now ($199 vs. $229), I'd have definitely gotten the 1700x for $30. I played all the way through Assassin's Creed Origins with a 1600x and didn't have any issues, and it's a great CPU for the money.

If he's paying retail on Newegg (with the latest price cuts), it's $70 more ($270 versus $200). Not bad, but not great value.

If it's Microcenter, the price is a lot closer. The 1600x is $180, and the 1700x is $230. I'd probably jump for $50, but it's sill a lot of money for just a small performance bump.

Last edited:
If he's paying retail on Newegg (with the latest price cuts), it's $70 more ($270 versus $200). Not bad, but not great value.

If it's Microcenter, the price is a lot closer. The 1600x is $180, and the 1700x is $230. I'd probably jump for $50, but it's sill a lot of money for just a small performance bump.
The 1600x has been on sale for 200 from amazon newegg and mc over the last week or so.

Actually, the 1600 (none X) is $169 at Microcenter right now.
I want to say I saw an ad for them that it was lower than that, like $149 or something, but I can't find it at the moment. You still get the $30 off the bundle if you are going to buy a board too. Might be worth it and sell your CPU/MB as a combo for a quicker sale.

To each their own I suppose.
§

Why oh why did you have to tell me this, now I am further tempted and I do not need anything. (Would love to build for someone else though, like a nice Ryzen 3 1200 with B350 motherboard. :D )
Memory is the killer right now. Might stay high until early 2018. It's up to you to resist temptation.:facepalm:

And here I was thinking it was to better compete with the Core i5 8400 (which will be a real competitor once the motherboard prices come down to earth). It destroys the 1700x in multi-threaded games, and competes with the1600x in productivity apps.

I was just assuming it would be a permanent price cut after the holidays, and was just an exclusive Black Friday cut for now? It would make deciding between Coffee and Zen a whole lot easier after the holiday rush if AMD dropped prices.

The only close brick and mortar is fry's and no way in hell would I ever shop there!

Why? The prices have got to be good and it is a far site better than what I have available locally, which is just a Best Buy.

Edit: As normal prices go, I just looked and they are fine. However, they do not have a single Black Friday price on the website and that is just plain terrible. I would order from Newegg except in an emergency.

I once purchased a 43" Sony Tv when I got home I found out it was defective when I tried to exchange it they would not take it back, accused me of breaking it, then when I tried contacting someone in corporate no one would return my calls!

Back