Ryzen 2700x : Wraith prism or CM Hyper 212 LED Turbo?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Burticus, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

So I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo not too long ago, Newegg sale and $20 after MIR. I've been a huge fan of the Hyper 212 family, great bang for the buck coolers. The "turbo" version basically looks like an Evo in push/pull, with LED fans and a little cosmetic metal plate on top.

Stolen picture courtesy of Newegg.

35-103-242-V02.jpg

This version does come with AM4 adapters and a supposedly much simpler mounting system. The "X-Clamp" has gone, no tears here.

So anyway, I just bought a 2700x (thank you Ebay for your awesome Perfect Day coupon campaign). I get it next week. Having read the excellent Hardocp reviews on the 2700x, Precision Boost 2, and the Wraith Prism oem cooler... I'm wondering if I should sell the 212 turbo and keep the Wraith Prism... or the other way around. The Prism definitely wins the "frag harder" (I love that term, thanks Kyle!) disco light contest.

I scoured the net and found some comparisons to the Wraith Spire (not the same thing) and the 212 Evo (also not the same thing) and those say the Evo wins.

I can try both, but the second I actually use one it's no longer "new" and the resale value dumps by a third. On the other hand, only talking about $20 either way...

SO... who has a 2700x and has tried the Prism, or some other coolers?

Yeah I know the 212 Turbo is no Noctua.. but it was also $20, not $60+.

Or sell both and get AIO like the H100 or whatever comparable $80 range AIO?

Honestly I don't plan to OC, I'm gonna let PB2 do it's thing and see what happens.

2. Ebernanut

Ebernanut Gawd

The Prism Wraith isn't a bad cooler at all but even with a custom fan curve and smoothing it's audible at times and I couldn't use the more aggressive AMD approved boost mode without higher temps than I wanted under heavy load(prime 95). I haven't used the 212 but I'm sure there's reviews that compare the performance and noise of both directly.

I'm planning to replace the Prism with an AIO I just can't decide what I want. I'm looking at the Corsair h115i/h150i, the Cooler Master ML240, and the Enermax Liqfusion 240. Of those only the ML240(not including the addressable rgb version) is under $100, NE had the non-rgb version on sale w/code for $45 the other day but I'm not sure if it's still active.

3. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

all the 212's are pretty much the same, it's mostly just cosmetic changes that differ between models.. should be plenty of push/pull reviews out there with different versions that will pretty much tell you what you should get out of the evo turbo.

i went with the arctic cooling liquid freezer 240 since it comes with 4 fans out of the box and NO RGB trash which i think i paid 80 for. it's insanely overkill for my 1600 but hopefully should be able to install my 2700x this week since i finally get a couple days off work.

4. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

If you're not gonna overclock, I'd not bother with an AIO. A good air cooler will be quieter, easier to manage and leave you with more case options. I haven't actually ever used a 212, but it's one of the most favorably reviewed coolers for it's price point in history, and should handle that 105w chip without issue. Just be sure not to neglect proper case airflow and you'll be golden. (y)