Ryzen 2700x : Wraith prism or CM Hyper 212 LED Turbo?

Burticus

Supreme [H]ardness
So I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo not too long ago, Newegg sale and $20 after MIR. I've been a huge fan of the Hyper 212 family, great bang for the buck coolers. The "turbo" version basically looks like an Evo in push/pull, with LED fans and a little cosmetic metal plate on top.

Stolen picture courtesy of Newegg.

35-103-242-V02.jpg

This version does come with AM4 adapters and a supposedly much simpler mounting system. The "X-Clamp" has gone, no tears here.

So anyway, I just bought a 2700x (thank you Ebay for your awesome Perfect Day coupon campaign). I get it next week. Having read the excellent Hardocp reviews on the 2700x, Precision Boost 2, and the Wraith Prism oem cooler... I'm wondering if I should sell the 212 turbo and keep the Wraith Prism... or the other way around. The Prism definitely wins the "frag harder" (I love that term, thanks Kyle!) disco light contest.

I scoured the net and found some comparisons to the Wraith Spire (not the same thing) and the 212 Evo (also not the same thing) and those say the Evo wins.

I can try both, but the second I actually use one it's no longer "new" and the resale value dumps by a third. On the other hand, only talking about $20 either way...

SO... who has a 2700x and has tried the Prism, or some other coolers?

Yeah I know the 212 Turbo is no Noctua.. but it was also $20, not $60+.

Or sell both and get AIO like the H100 or whatever comparable $80 range AIO?

Honestly I don't plan to OC, I'm gonna let PB2 do it's thing and see what happens.

The Prism Wraith isn't a bad cooler at all but even with a custom fan curve and smoothing it's audible at times and I couldn't use the more aggressive AMD approved boost mode without higher temps than I wanted under heavy load(prime 95). I haven't used the 212 but I'm sure there's reviews that compare the performance and noise of both directly.

I'm planning to replace the Prism with an AIO I just can't decide what I want. I'm looking at the Corsair h115i/h150i, the Cooler Master ML240, and the Enermax Liqfusion 240. Of those only the ML240(not including the addressable rgb version) is under $100, NE had the non-rgb version on sale w/code for $45 the other day but I'm not sure if it's still active.

all the 212's are pretty much the same, it's mostly just cosmetic changes that differ between models.. should be plenty of push/pull reviews out there with different versions that will pretty much tell you what you should get out of the evo turbo.

The Prism Wraith isn't a bad cooler at all but even with a custom fan curve and smoothing it's audible at times and I couldn't use the more aggressive AMD approved boost mode without higher temps than I wanted under heavy load(prime 95). I haven't used the 212 but I'm sure there's reviews that compare the performance and noise of both directly.

I'm planning to replace the Prism with an AIO I just can't decide what I want. I'm looking at the Corsair h115i/h150i, the Cooler Master ML240, and the Enermax Liqfusion 240. Of those only the ML240(not including the addressable rgb version) is under $100, NE had the non-rgb version on sale w/code for $45 the other day but I'm not sure if it's still active.

i went with the arctic cooling liquid freezer 240 since it comes with 4 fans out of the box and NO RGB trash which i think i paid 80 for. it's insanely overkill for my 1600 but hopefully should be able to install my 2700x this week since i finally get a couple days off work.

If you're not gonna overclock, I'd not bother with an AIO. A good air cooler will be quieter, easier to manage and leave you with more case options. I haven't actually ever used a 212, but it's one of the most favorably reviewed coolers for it's price point in history, and should handle that 105w chip without issue. Just be sure not to neglect proper case airflow and you'll be golden. (y)

So I got my 2700x in, and I did use the Prism for the first week since I wanted to test stability and the Prism is easy to install. It's a pretty thing to be sure. But it was idling in the 60c range which I thought was a little high.

Last night I moved the new Asrock x470 master + 2700x into my main case, I decided to install the Hyper 212 LED Turbo. They throw a ton of hardware in with that to handle almost every mounting option. The scissor clamps are gone, now they have a standard lock down bar (like on normal heatsinks) if you want to use the AM4 built in socket, which is what I decided to try first. There is also a backplate replacement option and some screw down bars, more on that in a sec.

So for the LIFE of me I could not get the lock down bar to latch. I thought I was going to break something. I googled around and people are also complaining about it on Reddit. The solution to that (wish I had thought of it, kind of obvious now) is to unscrew the stock AM4 plastic socket some, so that it has some wiggle room. THEN you can attach the lock down bar clamp, which I did. Then screw the plastic socket back down... THEN turn the locking handle (which was tough, but not impossible). The only way to orient the heatsink in this fashion is north/south, so it blows hot exhaust to the top of the case. This is fine for me, my case (antec p100) is open at top and has exhaust fans. But I've read about people complaining about the top exhaust orientation, they don't like north/south and want to go east/west (I have no other way to describe that) so it's exhausting out the back of the case. So if you prefer the east/west/back exhaust option, you'll need to uninstall the stock backplate and lose the stock plastic socket. Then you get to put the backplate puzzle together (it has so many pieces, the instructions are not clear what all the little parts are for) and screw in the metal clamp bars directly into the heatsink , then attack to motherboard. And I thought the old 212 backplate / scissor clamp was a PITA, this looks worse.

Anyway, it's installed now and working. The LEDs on these fans kind of suck. You can see the LEDs at the corners, not integrated into the fans blades like nicer ones. But hey, what do you want for $20?

Ryzen master is showing idles in the 40c range now. I noticed that speedfan and speccy are reporting the wrong temps, either way too high (speccy) or a negative value (speedfan). I googled and apparently that is a common Ryzen + Asrock thing... the fan programs are picking up the wrong temps. Ryzen master is OK, but I'd like to have a temp at a glance in my taskbar if possible.

I'll try to get a pic in later, no time at the moment.

Last edited:
see if core temp gives you accurate temps. are your ambient temps high as well? your idle seems high for that cpu.

see if core temp gives you accurate temps. are your ambient temps high as well? your idle seems high for that cpu.

Why does every program I try with Ryzen give off a different temperature reading? I don't get it.

Ryzen Master says 68c (A-tuning, comes with Asrock mobo, agrees with this)
Core Temp shows 58c
Speccy shows 117c

System is mostly idle at the moment, Civ V is sitting in the background not doing much

I guess I have to believe Ryzen Master, since it's from AMD... right?

Ambient room temp... well the AC is on 73f at the moment, I'd put my office at around 75

upload_2018-7-22_14-57-58.png

Ryzen master and Asrock are showing Tctl. (correct)
Coretemp is showing Tdie (correct)
Speccy seems to be out to lunch (117F == 47C which is still wrong).

I jacked around with fan curve in A-tuning, starting all fans at 70% then moving up from there. They are all low speed fans (or are set to low by switch) so not too noisy. Idle on A-tuning bouncing between 38c-58c I guess this thing just likes to run hot but a 20c range while not doing much is seems strange to me.

upload_2018-7-23_19-6-11.png

I jacked around with fan curve in A-tuning, starting all fans at 70% then moving up from there. They are all low speed fans (or are set to low by switch) so not too noisy. Idle on A-tuning bouncing between 38c-58c I guess this thing just likes to run hot but a 20c range while not doing much is seems strange to me.

View attachment 91231

38-58 temp bounce isn't bad considering you are on air cooling. Mine bounces between 28-45 using an AIO liquid cooler. As well I wouldn't say your pc is doing nothing. An idling PC in WIndows 10 is never idle. You still have 181 processes encompassing 2059 threads. It just depends on the process/threads that is getting the CPU cycles at the time. Fire up Prime95 with small FFTs for a while and see what it goes to.

Back