Ryzen 2700U performance in World of Warcraft?

dgingeri

2[H]4U
I'm looking to replace my old Broadwell (5200U using integrated graphics) laptop for something that I can run WoW on again. I bought my current laptop specifically for playing WoW on the go, and then the next expansion broke that ability. Now I want to see if getting an Acer Ryzen 2700U laptop would be a good step in getting that back. Has anyone here tried it?

By next expansion are you referring to the upcoming one soon to be beta or Legion? I've ran Legion on a Celeron with integrated graphics and while not ideal I don't see how it could have broken on yours.

I don't see any reason at all why you couldn't run it on a 2700U and experience decent results.

Well, I say "broken" in that I couldn't run 1080p at a setting level where I could see the fire on the ground. I don't remember what setting it was, but at a certain level, ground effects can't be seen anymore, and that doesn't work too well in dungeon runs. So, I could no longer do dungeon runs with my laptop starting with Legion.

Sure, but for the $950 an acer swift 3 costs (which is the only 2700u available right now), you can get a 1070 equipped laptop, so the 2700u only comes in play if you want t a lighter laptop or to game on the battery.

Sure, but for the $950 an acer swift 3 costs (which is the only 2700u available right now), you can get a 1070 equipped laptop, so the 2700u only comes in play if you want t a lighter laptop or to game on the battery.

where do you find a laptop with a 1070 at that price? The only ones I ever see are $1300+.

where do you find a laptop with a 1070 at that price? The only ones I ever see are $1300+.
Sorry, 1060 (6gb) are usually around the 1k mark. That would still handily trounce a 2700u in any gaming. The Dell i7577 is actually 50 bucks cheaper than the Acer on Amazon and has a1060 6gb.

Better bet would be the 2500u in the hp envy, it has a 25w tdp instead of 15w for the acer 2700u so is just as fast due to higher boost clocks, and a few hundred cheaper. The Acer does pretty amazing for a 15w apu but unless battery life while gaming and/or form factor is more important, I don't think there's a good reason to get one at this point.

Sorry, 1060 (6gb) are usually around the 1k mark. That would still handily trounce a 2700u in any gaming. The Dell i7577 is actually 50 bucks cheaper than the Acer on Amazon and has a1060 6gb.

Better bet would be the 2500u in the hp envy, it has a 25w tdp instead of 15w for the acer 2700u so is just as fast due to higher boost clocks, and a few hundred cheaper. The Acer does pretty amazing for a 15w apu but unless battery life while gaming and/or form factor is more important, I don't think there's a good reason to get one at this point.

Yeah, you're right there. Even the 1050Ti would beat the 2700u, even if the TDP was set to 25W, and those are available even cheaper. I hadn't looked at the pricing on the 1060 or 1050Ti laptops. Looks like I'll go that direction.

Yeah, you're right there. Even the 1050Ti would beat the 2700u, even if the TDP was set to 25W, and those are available even cheaper. I hadn't looked at the pricing on the 1060 or 1050Ti laptops. Looks like I'll go that direction.

I mean, if you want a thin and light with decent battery life and some gaming performance, the 2500u and 2700u are very good options. You'll spend 2k for a thin and light with a decent GPU and not an igp, so it's got it's place. But if you don't care about it being a pound heavier and game with it plugged in, there are much better options for the money.

Last I checked Warcraft = Nvidia title.

I got an HP Omen i7-7700hq with RX580 for $949. I saw refurbs posted yesterday for $849. For what its worth, an RX560 2gb on max settings is hitting an average 100fps running around outside (not dungeons). AMD 2400g overclocked is about 50% of an RX560 2gb desktop, so yeah id go for a laptop with a geforce 1050ti unless ultrabook form factor is really important to you. Bestbuy had them HP X360 with ryzen chip 2500u for $599 at one point. They were extremely thin and had a nice build quality to them. There was a dell 15" laptop posted the other day for $649 i5-7300HQ, 8gb ddr4, geforce 1050Ti, 256gb SSD

Last I checked Warcraft = Nvidia title.
WoW is more CPU oriented than GPU. Any of the recent CPU offerings will not hurt him. I was able to score an old ASUS G750JX (i7-4700HQ w/ 770M Discrete) for cheap and it plays WoW flawlessly at 1080p.

WoW is more CPU oriented than GPU. Any of the recent CPU offerings will not hurt him. I was able to score an old ASUS G750JX (i7-4700HQ w/ 770M Discrete) for cheap and it plays WoW flawlessly at 1080p.

It's CPU bound to a point. It uses only 2 cores fully, and partially uses a third, so performance is greatly helped on a dual core over a single core, and slightly helped with a third core. A fourth core is almost never a help. That is with base performance, but enabling certain graphical features, such as ground clutter and ultra quality shadows and water effects, does depend greatly on the GPU. Sure, a system with Intel integrated graphics could play the game on medium detail levels, even the fastest quad core Intel CPU will not allow the system to run with the particle effects that show damage areas during many raids. (Don't stand in the fire or green stuff, but Intel integrated graphics players can't even see the stuff.) However, even a low end graphics adapter, such as a GT730, could allow low end particle effects to be seen. (I know this from direct experience.) They actually intended much of that when they designed the engine, to enable people with low end machines to still be able to play the game.

I prefer settings with all effects at max except ground clutter turned all the way down, but at the very least, I need to be able to see the particle effects for area damage. I play a healer when I raid, and those ground area effects are usually aimed at me. If I don't see them, I die, and the whole raid dies with me. So, a simple GPU is absolutely needed.

The reason why WoW has traditionally done better with nVidia cards is because pre-DX12 nVidia GPUs had less CPU driver overhead than ATI/RTG. RTG has made major strides in reducing CPU overhead pre-DX12 so feel free to purchase the GPU you want and not worry so much about which one favors WoW.

And, as I stated earlier, I never had a problem with WoW on my ATI cards.

I had ran it fine for years with the AMD side for awhile...it was runnable not that taxing of a title. no idea now newer xpac and stuff...

Back