Ryzen 2600 air-cooling - Top down or Mini Tower?

ReaperX22

Gawd
Hiya,

So I recently shifted over from a 4690k delided with a Ncotua D9L on Z87, to a B450 Ryzen 5 2600 setup. My RAM is just some spare DDR4 I had laying around to be replaced in the coming months.

Using the AMD stock cooler, it's really not as loud as I expected it to be.. It's actually pretty quiet, and during my gaming loads seems adequate (at stock settings for the CPU).

However I am naturally considering moving my D9L over (which I need to buy a mounting kit for).

The Z87 board I had, the daughter-board got VERY hot. No real airflow apart from a tiny bit of incidental airflow from the tower cooler/exhaust in the Ncase M1. Right now my VRMs/board temps seem good as the AMD stock cooler blows down over the board.

If I install my D9L I might see CPU temps drop/be able to OC a bit, but I'd be concerned about board/NVME temps instead.

I was considering instead a top-down cooler like the Noctua L12S or something similar.

Do you think this is even required? Do I need active cooling over the board realistically? Or should I just install the D9L and be done with it?

Note my airflow config is limited. GPU pulls from bottom open-air (no fans installed), CPU cooler + 92mm exhaust only. PSU fends for itself. Side panel is tempered glass.

I aim for a silent build, so installing fans at the bottom might help but I'd be spending a few extra as I'd likely try to go for the Noctua 15mm slim 120mm fans to ensure the GPU has room to breathe.

Pic attached of current setup essentially with side-panel off. Bit of an ugly mis-match in there currently. :p

Attachments

• IMG_20181101_222012.jpg
    IMG_20181101_222012.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
if your going to run the cpu at stock speeds i would just stick with the stock cooler. its actually a pretty good cooler. if it bugs ya it shouldnt hurt anything to mount the noctua. just keep an eye on the vrms and if needed go with your extra slim fan idea ;) altho it may be a good idea to get some filters if you do.

I mean, the 2600 is such a cool-running chip you could probably just put the CPU in the socket and lightly blow on it and it will be fine.

Back