Ryzen 2400G and Shooter Gaming

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Our friend Jason Evangelho at Forbes, put the AMD Ryzen 2400G APU with on-die Vega graphics to the test in DOOM, Battlefield 1, COD WWII, Overwatch, Quake Champions, Fortnite, and World of Tanks. He does all this at 1080p and uses his own real-world gaming to reach his conclusions. The results are not stunning, but for someone looking to build a super-low-cost gaming rig, the 2400G at $160 looks to be a great start assuredly. But, can it run Crysis?

Check out the video.

And seeing Quake Champions just shy of 60 FPS at Medium is a breath of fresh air for such a fast-paced shooter without needing a dedicated GPU.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow. That's pretty good for a low cost gaming rig that can kinda play AAA titles
Really perfect for indie stuff

It would make for a good general use family rig. The kids could play Fortnite, and it has enough GPU power to watch videos at higher resolutions.

I haven't done any research on the matter, but I hope my Xeon X5672, 24GB DDR3, SSDs, and GTX750TI SC still gets me a FPS or two above the 2400g with much faster IPC, clock speed, and memory.

If not, well, OK.

Might aswell get a console if gaming is a primary concern honestly. Good for a general family computer for sure.

Made a 2200G machine for a friend. Really a great way to hold out until the next generation of budget GPUs and prices to drop.

I really don't get the market shove to put these chips into gamers machines. I know AMD wants to sell silicon, but ffs, there's consoles for that low end fare.

I don't want to go towards consoles. But I just don't have the money to throw at PC Hardware. But's that's just the way it is.

I replaced my media system two months ago with a 2400g and am really pleased with it. With the power saving feature on my LG 4K UHD TV set to medium/using the default APS Picture Mode and a Samsung Soundbar my entire setup eats 72-81 Watts while watching Xvid/x264/x265/DVD video. Downloading anything overnight --> 48 Watts. Gaming raises the power usage into the 140-150's.

My sons friends come over and they play stuff like L4D2, Portal 2, TF2, Minecraft, Fortnite and so on and the only game that was a PITA to get HQ settings running at acceptable FPS was Minecraft. I have to run that at 720p with the lowest quality shader mod from Chocapic13 in order to get a constant 27-35 FPS. Everything else runs fantastic at 1080p with the Source based games having all quality settings at their max with 4xMSAA/16xAF.

I could solve the Minecraft issue by OC'ing the Vega 11 to 1400-1600MHz since I replaced the Wraith Spire I had on this 2400g with a Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 but the kids have said they are fine with the performance/quality and my goal for this setup was to keep the electricity usage down.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...1030-gddr5-benchmark-worst-graphics-card-2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...dle-demanding-shooters-at-1080p/#432e0e2a4350
There are no apples to apples comparisons, but Doom is tested on both.

TLDR If you get a 1030 make sure it's the gddr5 varient.
Oh, interesting.. Apu does beat the 1030 ddr4... Except single channel apu.. if i am reading that correctly. I'm thinking AMD could cobble together a low end vega ddr4, and it be better than the 1030 ddr4? Don't know if there is a point to it in the market, maybe there is? But if the apu performs decent with ddr4, why not separate?

Oh, interesting.. Apu does beat the 1030 ddr4... Except single channel apu.. if i am reading that correctly. I'm thinking AMD could cobble together a low end vega ddr4, and it be better than the 1030 ddr4? Don't know if there is a point to it in the market, maybe there is? But if the apu performs decent with ddr4, why not separate?
That DDR4 GT1030 just shouldn't really exist IMO. I wonder how it compares to Intel HD Graphics?

Also, it really makes sense why Raven Ridge is so starved for frequency. DDR4 can barely provide the bandwidth the 2200G and 2400G require.

Thats honestly fucking awesome, did not expect that. 1080p gaming!?
If you aren't trying to play the newest games or the most demanding games, 1080p is a real possibility with that chip.

I have the 2200G and it really does pull its own weight. It will certainly make you adept at tweaking graphics settings though. Even if it is a demanding game the PUBG, you can bet it will at least pull off playable framerates at 720p. Which makes it a great chip for those just wanting to get into PC gaming... Great for that first PC for a child, spouse, console gaming friend etc.. (Achievable with a like console price too)

Have you OC'd the Vega 11? If so how high and do you happen to have power usage figures from before and after?

https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-5-2400g-overclock-with-firestrike-and-timespy.1956026/

I hit 1600 MHz stable, but it was much happier at 1550 mhz. Ram speed makes a big difference as well. I can't remember the exact power figures, but I believe the entire system was using close to 200 watts when pushed to the max such as Time spy where the CPU and iGPU are being utilized heavily.

I really don't get the market shove to put these chips into gamers machines. I know AMD wants to sell silicon, but ffs, there's consoles for that low end fare.

There are many reasons someone would want a computer over a console. Especially someone on a budget. If you want to save money PC gaming is the way to go consoles dont save money they burn money and accomplish only a few things. This product gives you a basic computer that can do some gaming cheap. Word processing, internet, spread sheets, and alot more for a similar price to a console.

They were not using the same graphics presets making it hard to get a direct comparison. With the gddr5 1030 costing only $10 more, why would anyone ever buy the gimped ddr4 version, unless they didn't know better.

Hmm,
I'm impressed. I'm thinking about retiring my FX systems for something new; mainly because they are developing quirks having to do with age (mainly issue with motherboards).
I rarely have time for gaming now a days but some times I'm in the mood for a dark room and a RPG. I don't game beyond 1080p so this is looking good.

I haven't done any research on the matter, but I hope my Xeon X5672, 24GB DDR3, SSDs, and GTX750TI SC still gets me a FPS or two above the 2400g with much faster IPC, clock speed, and memory.

If not, well, OK.

i just replaced my OLD dual quadcore xeon system. still sits in my room. had it for YEARS. its a great room heater in the winter times hahaha

I know this is a [H]ard site and all, but you guys have no idea how many gamers in lower income countries were left out in the dark without AMD on the playing field for this kind of thing.

Welcome back!

Hell, lower income gamers around the world.

My next PC will be whatever the Ryzen 2 APU is, as I need to wait out the memory prices issue.

I'm really happy with my 2200G. After hurricane Maria I spent around 7 months without electricity. I'm not sure what the hell happened to my Asrock Z77 pro 4. The only thing I can think was something got short from the high humidity/corrosion/whatever since I wasn't going to use my PC on a power generator. Prices for a socket 1155 mobos where too damn high. Two months after I had my 2200G, my r9 290 bit the dust too. I'm still able to enjoy the same games I did enjoy on my old setup but some compromises had to be made. Also makes sense to have the integrated graphics as a back up in case another video card dies.

If you aren't trying to play the newest games or the most demanding games, 1080p is a real possibility with that chip.

I have the 2200G and it really does pull its own weight. It will certainly make you adept at tweaking graphics settings though. Even if it is a demanding game the PUBG, you can bet it will at least pull off playable framerates at 720p. Which makes it a great chip for those just wanting to get into PC gaming... Great for that first PC for a child, spouse, console gaming friend etc.. (Achievable with a like console price too)

Awesome, totally true.

Awesome, totally true.
I will add for those looking to do something similar, overclocking the igpu makes a significant difference in those more demanding titles.

Ideally you would look for a motherboard that offers igpu bios OCing as opposed to using Ryzen Master. Ryzen Master works, but to my knowledge you have to activate the OC each time you boot into windows. Not ideal if the build is for someone who isn't an enthusiast

I will add for those looking to do something similar, overclocking the igpu makes a significant difference in those more demanding titles.

Ideally you would look for a motherboard that offers igpu bios OCing as opposed to using Ryzen Master. Ryzen Master works, but to my knowledge you have to activate the OC each time you boot into windows. Not ideal if the build is for someone who isn't an enthusiast

Damn, that would super annoying having to do that everytime. Thanks for the tip.

Back