Ryzen 2400g & 3400g question

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
Been about 4 years since MY build, but this time I'm planning a build for my wife. First home built pc for her. Going to teach her all bout it.

Doing a budget build. Trying to keep it at $2k or less. Starting from scratch build. Monitor, keyboard mouse, everything included in the budget. White, rgb, and small form factor is the theme.

Was going with 2400g at first for a long time, but then saw the 3400g was a thing. Research shows 3400g slightly outperforms the 2400g. It mostly seems like small tweaks and upgrades to the 2400g than a true generational upgrade.

Then i see the 2400g costs more than the 3400g. This confuses me. I know the 2400g is VERY popular for ryzen budget builds. I'm curious why the technical upgraded 3400g is priced lower tho.

Can someone explain or am I missing something?
THX

It's discontinued. Once all clearance stock is moved, you're going to get nothing but 3rd-party resellers jacking-up prices.

Also, the 3400G is about to get replaced by Zen 2 APUs, so it's probably on clearance like the rest of the 3000 series.

Also, why the fuck did you post this undeer video cards?

Which is discontinued? Don't know much about the new Zen 2? Should I even be looking at that if I'm building a more budget pc for 1080p/1440p gaming?

Oh, this should be moved. Initially clicked the right topic, then got sidetracked and forgot I changed topic. LoL

Last edited:
1. WTF are you doing spending $2000 on a Zen APU build? They're intended for sub-$600 no GPU builds (with the option to upgrade to discrete graphics later)
2. What are you intending to do with this computer?

I'm not going to help you match every little color on your new system, but I can help you pick the important components.

Last edited:
the 2000 series is disco and the new 4000 chips sound be out in a few weeks, i think. and what he asks ^^. $2k is a proper build not an apu budget build. you should be looking at a ryzen 3600/16GB//5700 or 2060-ish type build for that type of money.

The $2k is where I am now. That includes a pricey monitor that will STILL be great when she upgrades the PC down the road. It's $636. Also got priced in the budget mouse/keyboard, OS, extra RGB fans, speakers, and headphones (since I work from home). These non-tyoical items mentioned in builds are a factor in my budget thus driving it up moreso than normal.

Researching the 4000 series. Did not know about that. May wait if pricing for a one with Vega isn't too much more.

I've got the Asus PG279Q. Just fine for the 1080p gaming, and when she upgrades some parts it'll still be great for 1440p gaming.

I'm just picking parts now. Have not researched alternative places to buy parts at a lower price. I can already see some parts on my list are overpriced on pcpartpicker so I'll need to do more research to find the parts I settle for at a lower price.

I think I'll stay with the 2400g and have her do a small 4gen ryzen upgrade in a year or two. 3600g lower, but also has an older Vega.not much performance boot. Rather OC the 2400g.

Sounds like a really odd plan as other stated. New APU soon, but there is enough room in your budget to get a proper CPU and decent GPU. Heck, even the new 3300x would be much better $ spent. If you insist on building a 2400g, you won't need $1000 to do it. If you do, you aren't building it right.

I've got the Asus PG279Q. Just fine for the 1080p gaming, and when she upgrades some parts it'll still be great for 1440p gaming.

I'm just picking parts now. Have not researched alternative places to buy parts at a lower price. I can already see some parts on my list are overpriced on pcpartpicker so I'll need to do more research to find the parts I settle for at a lower price.

I think I'll stay with the 2400g and have her do a small 4gen ryzen upgrade in a year or two. 3600g lower, but also has an older Vega.not much performance boot. Rather OC the 2400g.
ok then. that monitor ate up a bunch of budget you could/should have put into the system. i didnt say 3600g i said 3600, no apu(which is not "older" than a 2400g), get a proper gpu for the price you said. the apus are only good for 1080p/low settings. if you still have $1300 to work with you can build her a proper system.

Wouldn't buy an older Gen APU right now, the 4000 series Zen 3 APU's and B550 motherboards are just around the corner. Really the APU series processors are for extreme budget builds with no GPU.

Also, if you have a two thousand dollar budget, it doesn't make any sense to buy an APU, Go with a 3300x processor, itll have better clockspeeds, more cores, multi and single thread performance and cost less. Keep in mind though, the 3300x processors will only work with X570 and B550 motherboards which will be released mid June, X570 are available now though, but they are quite expensive. The B550's are going to be the budget series.

If you're looking to buy current gen with AMD I suggest a 3600 or 3700x Processor with a B450 Motherboard (although they are getting pricey now too as they no longer are producing large quantities of them because of the imminent launch of the B550 in June)

I guess TLDR, do your research and buy the best parts / performance ratio you can with the money you have.

Last edited:
although they are getting pricey now too
and with the covid bs, prices have skyrocketed. i was looking to suggest a gpu in another thread, looked at the 5700 i bought in Jan to check price vs a 1660super and its increased from $440CAN to $600+, my case was $97 all in, now its listed at $300+115 shipping. wtf?! price gouging bastards!

I will say I loved my 2400G build, worked well for htpc/emulation, but... It is not a good idea to buy any APU now.

Even if you plan on upgrading everything down the road, might run into an issue where you are not just swapping the CPU but the motherboard and ram as well.

Now I remember why I have you on my ignore list: You have no clue what you're doing, and yet proceed like you do when asking folks for build advice.

You're a lost-cause, so I'm out!

Last edited:
Just gonna add to whats already been said, your build makes no sense. Those APUs are both garbage for a $2000 build, no matter how many RGB fans you have to buy.

As others stated, your processor options are not consistent with your budget, even when you include monitor, speakers, etc. A few things to consider:

1) Getting a $600 monitor with an APU is a complete waste of that monitor’s capability.
2) If you’re looking at 1080p or 1440p gaming, then getting an APU is a bad idea, because you’re not going to get enjoyable frames with just the APU.

APUs are for strictly budget builds. You should instead consider:

1) Ryzen 3600 + B450 motherboard
2) Ryzen 3300 + B550 motherboard (when they are released)

If you’re trying to save money, even an RX580 can still be found for fairly cheap new and will provide a much better gaming experience than an APU.

For sound, for gaming, just get a decent set of headphones and use the integrated audio. You can get entry-level audiophile headphones for probably around $100 that will sound great for gaming. I personally am using Sennheiser 515s and think they sound great.

$2000 is a ton of money to work with all in. I don’t know why you’re looking at APUs at all even with everything else included.

Don't buy old AMD CPUs and expect an easy upgrade path later, because support for them is already being phased out due to BIOS size limits. If you went with a 2400g now, you'd at minimum need a new motherboard and potentially new RAM depending on how fast DDR5 hits the market.

AMD is in quite a bit of trouble with their promise to support AM4 until the end of this year because they're running out of room in the EEPROM due to the ridiculous number of AM4 CPUs available, and because of the flashy graphics used in UEFI setup. Board vendors have had to start removing support for older Bulldozer based AM4 CPUs, as well as the Ryzen 1000 series in order to make room for the newer 3000 series.

The x570 dropped support for 1st gen Ryzen entirely, and the B550 dropped support for Zen+ as well (so no 1000 or 2000 series chips.)

Back