Ryzen 1800X @ 4.05GHz Looking Good

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
Got my 1800X up to 4.05GHz. Increased voltage to 1.45, not sure if that's overboard. CPU-Z bench and Cinebench finished without crashing. Played about an hour of a few different games and things seem stable.

Ryzen405.JPG

Using a Corsair AIO cooler, I saw temps peak at the high 70s (according to Ryzen Master). Ryzen Master is also a great tool. It's really easy to change settings and apply them right in Windows, mostly without restarting. Got RX 480 CrossFire and played some GTA V w/ nearly max settings 4K and getting over 70fps. So far so good.

Also, I was only able to get 2400 speed out of my 3200 RAM (despite MSI claiming 3200 was supported). Anything higher and the PC would fail to POST.

Also, I was only able to get 2400 speed out of my 3200 RAM (despite MSI claiming 3200 was supported). Anything higher and the PC would fail to POST.

Hopefully a bios update fixes that, my asus is working fine with my ddr4 3000

Managed to get to 2667 after tweaking things. Really hoping MSI can update the BIOS to fix it.

Yeah, I have the G.SKILL TridentX 2x 16GB. After doing more research, it seems like the upcoming Flare X will do what I need. I would have to drop to 16GB but I can probably live with that to get the higher speed.

I guess all those people saying we were fools for pre-ordering weren't so far off. Love being one of the first to get new gear but it seems that comes with the territory.

Yeah, I have the G.SKILL TridentX 2x 16GB. After doing more research, it seems like the upcoming Flare X will do what I need. I would have to drop to 16GB but I can probably live with that to get the higher speed.

I guess all those people saying we were fools for pre-ordering weren't so far off. Love being one of the first to get new gear but it seems that comes with the territory.

I have the same memory sitting here. I figured getting the full 3200 out of them was not happening right away and thats fine with me. I wanted the capacity in two sticks instead of 4. Being on a new platform always has some hitches but they almost always get resolved over time. Just think your system has a bit of speed still in the tank that is waiting to get used. Also dont forget AMD sockets have a long life so no doubt the manufactures will continue to improve the platform.

Yeah, I'm still really excited for Ryzen. Just a tad disappointed with some aspects (mostly on the motherboard side), but I may have had unrealistic expectations. Also, as I mentioned, I need a better video card and will probably pick up the 1080 Ti. So with the new card and that Flare X RAM I should have the system running like I want.

The most impressive thing I've run so far was GTA V @ 4K and getting over 70fps at nearly max settings. Which is quite a feat for the RX 480 in CrossFire. Some of the other games were OK but 4K is kind of pushing it too far for these mid-range cards.

AMD chips are known to suck up a lot of juice. If anyone remembers overclocking back in 2004 days with the 2500 XP (a golden age for AMD), you'll remember how high those voltages got, lol. Of course we are dealing with much smaller dies nowadays,but hey, nothing like pumping 1.75V into a cpu, lol!

That is insanely high voltage. What do you get for temperature?

he stated hitting 70C in his post. But that isn't insanely high, well not set in stone yet. The FXs could run 24/7 >1.7V as long as you kept temps below 60C. New arch, new node, new rules. Gotta wait till someone fries theirs first. And can't compare to intel for temps and voltage requitements.

he stated hitting 70C in his post. But that isn't insanely high, well not set in stone yet. The FXs could run 24/7 >1.7V as long as you kept temps below 60C. New arch, new node, new rules. Gotta wait till someone fries theirs first. And can't compare to intel for temps and voltage requitements.

Temperature and voltage are way lower with Intel CPU. Ryzen can be 95W but no thanks...enormous amount of heat is being produced by it. My current Xeon 3.5Ghz 10/20 doesn't go over 27C idle and 45C under load running on really low voltage. Imagine running Ryzen with CF r390x for example...that would be f. disaster to cool. I had CF r390x and that pile of crap would reach 94C like there is no tomorrow until i watercooled both cards.

Under heavy CPU load it was getting into the high 70s which may be pushing it. In any case, the CPU is barely breaking a sweat in most games (especially at 4K) so I may set it back to stock. I was more just interested to see how much OC room there was on my chip.

Temperature and voltage are way lower with Intel CPU. Ryzen can be 95W but no thanks...enormous amount of heat is being produced by it. My current Xeon 3.5Ghz 10/20 doesn't go over 27C idle and 45C under load running on really low voltage. Imagine running Ryzen with CF r390x for example...that would be f. disaster to cool. I had CF r390x and that pile of crap would reach 94C like there is no tomorrow until i watercooled both cards.

Wattage is wattage and that is what you have to be able to dissipate. So Ryzen is producing 95 watts of heat and your Xeon is producing 95 watts of heat, cooler temp is all about how well you can get rid of that heat energy. As long as the temperature stays under the thermal limits then it's not a big deal, heck if you clock up a 7700k and manage to hit 5 ghz your around 80 Celsius. Does that make it a pile of garbage? Lowest voltage you can run the chip at is always been what you want if you like to keep waste heat at bay. Also airflow is important in a case and makes a big difference in how well your heat sink can handle the load.

I have an 1800x, Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi), 32 GB (2x16GB) TridentZ 3200 cl14 (running 3333 cl14). I have a P-State OC of 4.05, my voltage peaks at 1.37v, my temps rarely hit 68° (custom loop, but in S. Florida, it gets warm here). I get CB 15 scores a bit higher than you're getting,1840. I just set up an account on Hardforum, so I still need to set some things up, like rig info, but I can give a link to a folder I keep benchmarks in. They're not really there for others to peruse, so it may seem out of order. You can basically see a range from when I started out, up to where I am now. I had this running very stable at 4.15, but at the voltage you're using now (1.4v), and wasn't comfortable with it for everyday use. I had 4.2 running, but voltage was 1.46v, and it got over 1900 CB 15 (maybe 1920) , but I didn't stress test it.. again, not comfortable with voltage that high. My CB score is high (I think), but mainly due to good memory timings. I think it's running fantastic for two big dual rank sticks. It's Samsung B-die (confirmed w/Taiphoon Burner) and I tailored the timings using the calculator from usmus on Overclock net, along with some personal help from him including a BIOS dump. I tried to link a folder full of benchmarks, but it doesn't seem to be working out.

Last edited:

You have FlareX or TridentZ? Do you know if you have Samsung B-die (try Taiphoon Burner to check).. I had 3333 cl14 within a few weeks of having my setup back in May 2017. It started at 2933 cl14, then got 3200 cl16 then cl14, then I got a little help from usmus on oc dot net and got to where I am now (3333 cl14). I never tried to push it further, and frankly, am surprised I can clock two 16GB sticks this high. If I try and use the straps in the BIOS though, I can only get 2933 cl18 LOL. The straps are useless unless you have small single rank B-die. Use the Ryzen DRAM calculator. Just look it up.. the new version is even tighter than before (I'm going to redo mine soon using that to see if I can tighten my timings further). You'll need Taiphoon Burner too, to see the real specs of your memory.

P.S., I just realized this thread is a year old, so many of you are likely doing much better I suppose, but just in case...

You have FlareX or TridentZ? Do you know if you have Samsung B-die (try Taiphoon Burner to check).. I had 3333 cl14 within a few weeks of having my setup back in May 2017. It started at 2933 cl14, then got 3200 cl16 then cl14, then I got a little help from usmus on oc dot net and got to where I am now (3333 cl14). I never tried to push it further, and frankly, am surprised I can clock two 16GB sticks this high. If I try and use the straps in the BIOS though, I can only get 2933 cl18 LOL. The straps are useless unless you have small single rank B-die. Use the Ryzen DRAM calculator. Just look it up.. the new version is even tighter than before (I'm going to redo mine soon using that to see if I can tighten my timings further). You'll need Taiphoon Burner too, to see the real specs of your memory.

P.S., I just realized this thread is a year old, so many of you are likely doing much better I suppose, but just in case...
If you mean he'll need Thaiphoon in order to find out the Timing's speed in ns to input into the Ryzen DRAM Calc, then that's not true if your stick have XMP profiles.
In DRAM Calc just click on the "A-XMP" button and it'll load them all in for you.

Though, if you're referring to finding out what IC his kit has, then you're right. I'm it's still the go-to program to use. Glad I was able to bring it to everyone's attention originally since it's turned out to be so useful! :D

I'm using the FlareX on this rig. I originally had Trident sticks, but they were stuck at 2667 (or around there). RAM compatibility has gotten better since launch, but at the time the FlareX were there only guaranteed way to get to 3200 and they are working great.

In terms of the OC, I did it for testing and fun, but I don't run my machines OCed for daily use. I find having AMD Cool n Quiet and Windows Balanced mode is the best mix of power and efficiency. This will boost to the advertised max clock, while still running cool during normal use (you don't need a 4GHz overclock to browse the web, lol).

Also, I run a 4K TV as a monitor, and gaming in 4K is so heavy on the GPU that the CPU OC was barely making a difference. There were some cases were there were gains, but they were small enough that I didn't want to risk the extra voltage and heat for a minuscule fps boost. YMMV.

Back