Ryzen 1700x to 5600x no POST due to RAM

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I updated to 5600 and have been having issues posting.
I have a ASRock b450 k4 gaming motherboard @ latest BIOS. I finally diagnosed it to the RAM.
It's not that the RAM is bad, it works with the 1700X but not the 5600. I verified this by using a friend's ddr4 kit.

Any ideas on what the issue with the old ram could be?
It's a GEIL 16gb kit @ 3000

I hate to have to buy another ddr4 kit only to have one hanging out doing nothing.

Did you do a BIOS reset after the upgrade? Pull the AC power cord and the CMOS battery, and short the cmos reset jumpers. Then try it again.

> I verified this by using a friend's ddr4 kit.

What exactly did you verify? that your CPU works by putting his RAM in your machine, or that your RAM works by putting it in his?

I tried the BIOS reset multiple times.
I verified that the 5600 CPU and motherboard work on my PC by replacing the RAM with a friends kit.

What I don't understand is why my old ram won't work with this new CPU, but works fine with older. I even went back to the old CPU to make sure the ram was still good and it is.

My guess is the BIOS is setting the RAM sub timings more aggressively for the stronger memory controller on the new CPU and it doesn't like it.
Any chance you can get one stick on it's own to post? if so you may be able to try setting 3000 1.4vdimm manually and see what happens when you plug the second stick back in.

One stick doesnt work. I've tried it in all slots.
Should I do that change with my friends memory and try?

How different is your kit from your mates? maybe he would swap with you.
Otherwise maybe it is time to replace your kit with a 3200c16 2x16GB kit and sell your current sticks.

Lower the RAM timings, up the voltage.
See if it will work at 2666 and 1.38v
Then work your way faster one step at a time. Earlier ryzen motherboards are really finicky with timings.

Technically the old ram can work but I've came to a thread in Hardocp mentioning the same thing that happened to you:
https://hardforum.com/threads/resolved-5800x3d-ram-instability.2026091/#post-1045595994

When he tested his old ram to his other rig, and the ram suddenly broken / can't function properly.
Try issuing RMA to the Geil distributor / handler, and then grab other 16gb / 32gb 3200c16 / 3600c18 kit. Nowadays, those kits are dirt cheap.
By the time you have settle with your new ram, you can always sell your old (replacement) ram or give it to your friend in need.

Back