Ryzen 1700x Crosshair VI build won't boot

Jay88

Weaksauce
Hey guys I built my first AMD system last night for my girl so we can both play OW together. When I tried to boot the system it started boot cycling and I keep getting Qcodes 62, 0d, and ad. From what I read 62 and ad are normal and 0d maybe the system rejecting my ram. I tried two different kits one a older Vengeance and a new vengeance LED RGB kit. I was able to get into bios once last night with my older 4x4 kit. I exchanged my C6H this morning for a new board. I am not sure what else to do at this point I called removed my m.2, USB 3 front hub, reseated AIO, reseated GPU I'm am out of ideas and not sure what other things I can try. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!

You using RAM on the QVL list? You may need some of that just to get the board running so you can update the BIOS (and then you can look at other RAM).

Last edited:
I have the same setup have you updated the bios? I kinda got the same thing happen to me when I tried over clocking on the original bios

I have the same setup have you updated the bios? I kinda got the same thing happen to me when I tried over clocking on the original bios

Can you update the BIOS on those boards without getting them to fully boot?

Yes, Asus have a very very handy feature called BIOS Flashback, where you can flash the BIOS on a USB with the machine entirely off, it have a dedicated USB port on the back of the MOBO to that function, that's one of the feature I like more on Asus Boards, nothing get ever damaged with BIOS update as if the Flashing process fail, it revert automatically to past state.

O yeah it's totally awesome just download the latest from the website and then extract the file to a thumb drive. Then rename the file to c6h. While the pc ks off plug the drive into the USB port on the back that says bios and hold the bios button and let it install! Incredibly easy!

What Bios were you able to boot with? Were you getting the blackscreen with code 62 or A9 I seem to be stuck there for endlessly doesn't matter if I leave my PC on for an hour I still cannot initialize the splash screen into the bios.

O yeah it's totally awesome just download the latest from the website and then extract the file to a thumb drive. Then rename the file to c6h. While the pc ks off plug the drive into the USB port on the back that says bios and hold the bios button and let it install! Incredibly easy!

Unfortunately I tried that without success it just sits at code 62 or A9 and won't load the bios.

What power supply? QVL ram until you update the BIOS. Lot more support on new BIOSs

I am using a Corsair AX850 I can possible swap it out with my AX860. But at this point I am nearly 100 percent it isn't booting due to PSU issues.

So I ordered a kit of G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 CL14 should be here Thursday. Tried clearing CMOS numerous time this board doesn't really seems to like that older vengeance ram seemed to like my LED RGB stuff more but I am hoping I will have better luck with I have my b-samsung die G.Skill Thursday. I talked to the lady at Microcenter when I exchanged my C6H she said she eventually ran into issues with vengeance RGB ram and had really good luck with the Trident Z. I feel like I should have atleast been able to get into the bios by now I have made like 20 attempts yesterday. Reflashed atleast 5 times yesterday still no luck.

I have 4 - 8gb sticks of the c16 trident rgb and they work great so far only problem I ever have is with the damn rgb lighting on the board itself. I only ever had problems with booting on bios 1002 and once I figured out my bios was not updated, I got it updated and I haven't had the problem since with the weird codes and not booting.

Which bios exactly are you using as there are numerous unreleased bios?

The Vengeance RGB LED ram I was using was in my skylake build so I flashed factory SPD settings to both my dimms hoping my Ryzen would be able to boot. Still got 0d at this point I am getting really pissed and may return this board and CPU for a kabylake. I have a set of trident z RGB 3200 cl14 coming in tomorrow I am crossing my fingers it will work but am really doubtful at this point.

The board can be problematic with ram. What is unclear to me is can you get into the bios? What settings are you using for ram ? Have you tried booting with everything on AUTO (on the ram part)?
From the AM4 bios topic there links to the "latest" 1401 bios.

Using 4 dimm slots has different settings from only 2 slots.

If you are trying ram not on the QVL list and using tight timings is not going to work on most if not all AM4 motherboard. Some require a lot of work to get right.

A video describing the process on how to change Ryzen settings to get things (ram and cpu) working is posted here https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-...board-review-h.1936124/page-4#post-1043065489

The board can be problematic with ram. What is unclear to me is can you get into the bios? What settings are you using for ram ? Have you tried booting with everything on AUTO (on the ram part)?
From the AM4 bios topic there links to the "latest" 1401 bios.

Using 4 dimm slots has different settings from only 2 slots.

If you are trying ram not on the QVL list and using tight timings is not going to work on most if not all AM4 motherboard. Some require a lot of work to get right.

A video describing the process on how to change Ryzen settings to get things (ram and cpu) working is posted here https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-...board-review-h.1936124/page-4#post-1043065489

I'm not having any problems with mine at the moment but I am running bios 1201 which is the latest one asus shows on there website for the crosshair 6. Is the 1401 bios beta or something that they haven't listed on there support page for this motherboard?

I can't even get into bios at all after qcode 62 I get a boot LED no display at all my monitor wakes up like its getting a single sent but no splash screen or anything keyboard and mouse wake up. I was able to load the bios once 2 days ago briefly for about 1 min. I restarted to load windows 10 but it started looping again.

I experience very long boot to bios screen time on my MSI B350 Tomahawk. Have to wait 30 seconds before boot splash screen. The board cycles with fans turning on and off at least 3 times.

I can't even get into bios at all after qcode 62 I get a boot LED no display at all my monitor wakes up like its getting a single sent but no splash screen or anything keyboard and mouse wake up. I was able to load the bios once 2 days ago briefly for about 1 min. I restarted to load windows 10 but it started looping again.

Sounds like a bad motherboard at this point I would take it back or if you had the time you could rma it... I got mine back after 3 weeks

1 or 2 sticks of ram which slots on the motherboard are you using ?

Can you explain the colour cycle of your booting process as well.

If all is good you get a green light on the left (of the Qled display) , then you will see other lights (yellow and red and white) which cycle do you get?

Have you used the clear Cmos button on the back of the case as well ?

Last edited:
1 or 2 sticks of ram which slots on the motherboard are you using ?

Can you explain the colour cycle of your booting process as well.

If all is good you get a green light on the left (of the Qled display) , then you will see other lights (yellow and red and white) which cycle do you get?

Have you used the clear Cmos button on the back of the case as well ?

I tried A2 and A1 have only one stick in A2 tested both sticks no success. It goes from amber red white green.

I don't have another video card as my 1080 has a EK block and I have all AIO in this build and my other rig is a hardline build.

It's actually coming tomorrow hopefully that will resolve my issues but I have a bad feeling it won't since I reflashed the factory SPD info to my vengeance RGB and I still got 0d.

If it doesn't work I will probably return my C6H for a M9H and 7700k. Which is dissapointing since I already have a M8F build.

I don't have another video card as my 1080 has a EK block and I have all AIO in this build and my other rig is a hardline build.

You do know right about the watercooling problem with EK blocks ?

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-a...to-post-any-thoughts.1929448/#post-1042935205

There was a series of EK backplates that the rubber was conductive enough for the CH6 not to work.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/5120#post_25961369
Link above is the massive of massive threads for the CH6 - on top of page just type in Search in this thread "EK backplate" to find the appropriate cure for your issue. This is known issue with EK water blocks on the CH6.

elmor at OCN who works for Asus stated this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread#post_25889679

If you only posted this information a bit sooner , I think you can contact EK and get the replacement parts for free

My Skylake build uses EK blocks my Ryzen is being cooled by a corsair AIO cooler. I heard the EK gasket material is conductive causing boards to short but my AIO uses the factory RoG C6H AM4 backplate so I don't think it is a factor in my case but I did loosen my AIO to no effect still 0d. I will probably return this C6H to Microcenter and purchase another from Amazon as my local Microcenter is out of stock.

My trident Z RGB should be here today but I am kind of worried that my MB will corrupt my SPD info on my ram and I will have to reflash my self or RMA. I find it very hard to believe that this board is rejecting all 6 DDR4 sticks I have here now.

You should be able to update the Bios with a naked board, no CPU nor RAM needed afaik. Take it all out, rest CMOS by taking out the battery, short the connectors with a coin as well, WAIT 15min-30min ( according to Asus tech ), then reconnect the 24-pin + CPU 8-PIN, insert the prepared USB stick into correct USB slot and follow the manual. You need to rename the Bios file, so make sure you do this accordingly. Once the Bios-Flash button rapidly blinks its doing it, when the LED stops flashing you are done.
Still, from what you describe, the board could well be bricked. Call Asus Tech Support, they usually guide you through the steps on the phone, Asus Germany did that with me on my last bricked boards until they said "RMA it, its dead "
YMMV

My Skylake build uses EK blocks my Ryzen is being cooled by a corsair AIO cooler. I heard the EK gasket material is conductive causing boards to short but my AIO uses the factory RoG C6H AM4 backplate so I don't think it is a factor in my case but I did loosen my AIO to no effect still 0d. I will probably return this C6H to Microcenter and purchase another from Amazon as my local Microcenter is out of stock.

Chances are you can get a same day delivery as well. I bought one Saturday at 10am and it was was delivered to me by 6pm

Chances are you can get a same day delivery as well. I bought one Saturday at 10am and it was was delivered to me by 6pm

I have to wait till Friday I ordered the new board this morning I'm done fucking around waiting for microcenter to restock these boards. Sucks that same day shipping wasn't it option but it was an option on a x370 prime.

I have to wait till Friday I ordered the new board this morning I'm done fucking around waiting for microcenter to restock these boards. Sucks that same day shipping wasn't it option but it was an option on a x370 prime.

Well, at least you do not have to drive 3 hours one way to get to a Microcenter. :) (Worth it though.) I am surprised you did not go with the Asrock Taichi board instead since Microcenter has those in stock, or at least the one I went too did. LLC control and P State control is really good on it too. That said, just how many times did you think you will refresh that tracking page for your part? :D

Not really a fan of the whole Taichi look I know that sounds crazy but I have a M8F that I kind of want to match the looks of. The board will be here by 2 pm tomorrow so I plan on staying up pretty late and hopefully I was wake up when its already here :p. My Trident Z 3200 CL14 kit came into but my board still wouldn't boot so I assume the board is bricked if it won't boot samsung b-dies.

Got it figured out apparently my video card was dead. I am overall pretty happy with the 1700x got mine running at 3.9 at 1.375 but will try to go to 4.0 also my ddr is running at 3200. The system seems pretty stable I will probably pick up a EVGA 1080 classified tomorrow.

Got it figured out apparently my video card was dead. I am overall pretty happy with the 1700x got mine running at 3.9 at 1.375 but will try to go to 4.0 also my ddr is running at 3200. The system seems pretty stable I will probably pick up a EVGA 1080 classified tomorrow.

Good to hear that everything is working now , to bad about the videocard.

Back