Ryzen 1700X & 2x 1080 Ti's in a custom loop with 480 rad?

Is it advisable to get a single 480 radiator and reservoir/pump to cool a Ryzen 1700X and 2x EVGA 1080 Ti's in a single loop?

Or should I split and have 2 loops with a 240 radiator each (or 120 + 360 radiators)? I would assume to put the 2 GPUs in 1 loop and the CPU in another?

This is on a Thermaltake Core P90, so I have room for 480mm of radiator/fans and 1 reservoir/pump. I might be able to squeeze another reservoir pump somewhere?

Is it advisable to get a single 480 radiator and reservoir/pump to cool a Ryzen 1700X and 2x EVGA 1080 Ti's in a single loop?

Or should I split and have 2 loops with a 240 radiator each (or 120 + 360 radiators)? I would assume to put the 2 GPUs in 1 loop and the CPU in another?

This is on a Thermaltake Core P90, so I have room for 480mm of radiator/fans and 1 reservoir/pump. I might be able to squeeze another reservoir pump somewhere?

Dual loops for no definitive reason is a waste. You'll be at the limit with only 480mm of rad, depending on how you overclock. I usually budget 240mm per device with overclocking in mind but you do what you can.

Dual loops for no definitive reason is a waste. You'll be at the limit with only 480mm of rad, depending on how you overclock. I usually budget 240mm per device with overclocking in mind but you do what you can.
I'm new to custom water cooling, so I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are for dual vs single loops. I can imagine that it's easier to replace/add components with a dual loop? With a single loop you have to drain all fluid with any change in components? I'm also guessing that the last component in a loop gets hotter liquid as the liquid coming out of the radiator is coldest? So dual loops would deal with this better?

Is there a pros and cons list of single vs dual loops?

I'm new to custom water cooling, so I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are for dual vs single loops. I can imagine that it's easier to replace/add components with a dual loop? With a single loop you have to drain all fluid with any change in components? I'm also guessing that the last component in a loop gets hotter liquid as the liquid coming out of the radiator is coldest? So dual loops would deal with this better?

Is there a pros and cons list of single vs dual loops?

You double the complexity for no gain, and actually you create more losses. When in a dual loop and in a situation where you only use the cpu, it only has the 120mm rad to use to cool it while the gpus are idle. In this case you could be using the full 480mm to cool le cpu. And vice versa. Then there's the cost and complexity, adding needless amounts of both for no gain. It would make much more sense if you were doing dedicated work with either device, like say a large mining setup or other, etc.

I suggest you read more on the topic because you are treading over very well laid roads. Hmm, not many of the sources are still active but a lot can be learned from here.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

Ugh the other things you asked... Dual loops are much worse for maintenance because you have twice the stuff to deal with, twice the failure points. Draining a loop to change components is passe, get QDC's to swap blocks you swap a lot which is hopefully rarely unless you are say a reviewer or tester. There is no real difference in temp thru the loop as it will equalize over time.

Dual loops as I suggested above is really for specific setups where you want to keep the gpu heat away from the cpu heat in the case of workhorse for mining, or other computational work.

Last edited:
You would be doing yourself a favor by adding some rad space... like going with 2x 360's

Just looked up what case you are using... definitely go with the 480, and I would look for somewhere you could sneak in another radiator...

Last edited:
Thank you for the info thesmokingman . That all makes sense. I'll be using this for mining with occasional gaming (a couple hours maybe once a week).

I wasn't aware of QDCs, they look very handy!

hitched . I'll keep that in mind about possibly sneaking in another radiator...

Since you'll be mining part time and while mining won't be using the cpu for much, with a 480mm rad which is then essentially dedicated to the gpus (in a single loop), you could eek by on that.

And then fwiw most miners are optimizing their gpus for efficiency so I doubt you'll be overclocking like mad while mining, etc.

thesmokingman , in my case the electricity expense is not as important as for other miners. So I do want to overclock GPUs, particularly the memory. How much I use the CPU depends on which coins I mine. I plan on mining different coins at different times.

A single 1080ti has NO problem keeping cool on a single 120mm rad —- even overclocked and 100% full bore. Read up on the AIB 1080TI like the seahawk or hydro.

So two GPUs = 240mm equivalent for GPU.

That CPU can easily be cooled by a slim 120mm rad - even overclocked to max 4.0 range - no issue on a slim corsair h50. I’ve done it.

So 360MM is beyond fine for that setup. 480MM is headroom and overkill.

I concur with Archaea....I'm running a 1080 (non-ti) and a 1700X and there's plenty of life left with my 360mm RAD

I'm using an H115i (280mm) on my 8700k and I have the 1080Ti SeaHawk (120mm); neither get hot. Just posting to support Archaea's point above.

I'll 3rd him.
My EVGA 1080ti Hybrid is fine with a 120mm, push pull is ~10c better.
7700k/8700k are fine with an h115i at 5-ish ghz, I was planning on a 79xxk upgrade sometime in the next year and I know content guys that have been happy with 280mm at a dependable 4.7-ish.

8+ core guys are trying to show thru work without dropped frames, not upping fps playing games so there's just a point where they're good and don't push any further....using an AIO.

Back