Ryzen 1700 - Upgrade Path?

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by topslop1, May 17, 2019.

1. topslop1

topslop1 2[H]4U

On Ryzen 7 1700 - was hoping that we were getting Ryzen 3 by June or July.. looks like it is coming Oct/Nov more likely?

Worth waiting on or should I just flip over to an Intel based system? Already had good DDR 3200 ram, just need a new board and proc probably for an upgrade to intel, correct?

What kind of % performnace gain should I see? I'm mostly a gamer..

2. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Oct/Nov is Q4, AMD has stated that Ryzen 3000 series CPUs & Navi GPUs, both 7nm products, will be available Q3...

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  3. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Unfortunately, the exact date is under embargo. That said It is definitely in Q3.

MrC4 and Pieter3dnow like this.
  4. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Not enough to bother

You are playing at 1440p with a 1070. A CPU won’t even improve that scenario very much. You’d get more performance out of a video card upgrade like a used 1080ti for $500 than a new Intel based system swap out.

What game currently isn’t running fast enough to suit?

/dev/null likes this.
  5. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

I couldn't agree more. I've got tons of processors and systems floating around here. A Core i5 9600K @ 5.0GHz isn't really any faster with the same video card as my Threadripper 2920X @ 4.2GHz or my Core i7 5960X @ 4.5GHz. Its a little bit better, but not much. We are talking about a few FPS at best.

noko likes this.
  6. ellover009

ellover009 [H]ard|Gawd

Do you have an urgency? is there anything that your 1700 can't provide at the moment?
    Which Intel did you have in mind? Some of the intel's processor should be taking a hit with the new update to the issue with security.
    Gaming wise games benefit of higher clock speeds, new 3 series should offer higher clock out of the box, and more compatibility with ram.

What I recommend is do a small overclock, and.
    1)Spend the money on something that could improve the gaming experience like a video-card, vr or something more fun.
    2)If you want to upgrade wait till the 3 series AMD comes out or wait till Intel releases redesigned processors that deal with their security problem. I don't see immediate benefits of upgrading unless you need a feature of a new motherboard, like more pci lanes speed, more M2 sockets, ect.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

July 7th...?

8. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Depends. How far out of the loop are you? Completely or mostly?
    Is this a keeping up with the Jones's scenario, or an internal conflict?
    If it is an excess of $$ I would say sell now. Can't go wrong.
    I would say Flip! Then again in a few months if it doesn't work out.

9. TheSlySyl

TheSlySyl n00b

I'm also looking to upgrade from my R7 1700 when Zen 3 launches, and I do have scenarios that completely max out my 1700 between some super heavy threaded games (Cities Skylines is a game I wish was CPU benchmarked.) And real time conversion of video via Plex or streaming.

I'd wait till X570 and Zen 3000, it may be a few months but you can possibly lose something by trying to force an upgrade too early. The 1700 will suffice for now.

If you're looking for pure gaming performance then just spend the cash on a GPU unless you know of exact scenarios that will push your CPU to the limits.

If you're not looking at extreme high FPS gaming (144hz+) you're probably fine with the 1700.