Ryzen 1700 - Upgrade Path?

topslop1

2[H]4U
On Ryzen 7 1700 - was hoping that we were getting Ryzen 3 by June or July.. looks like it is coming Oct/Nov more likely?

Worth waiting on or should I just flip over to an Intel based system? Already had good DDR 3200 ram, just need a new board and proc probably for an upgrade to intel, correct?

What kind of % performnace gain should I see? I'm mostly a gamer..

On Ryzen 7 1700 - was hoping that we were getting Ryzen 3 by June or July.. looks like it is coming Oct/Nov more likely?

Oct/Nov is Q4, AMD has stated that Ryzen 3000 series CPUs & Navi GPUs, both 7nm products, will be available Q3...

Worth waiting on or should I just flip over to an Intel based system? Already had good DDR 3200 ram, just need a new board and proc probably for an upgrade to intel, correct?

Not enough to bother

You are playing at 1440p with a 1070. A CPU won’t even improve that scenario very much. You’d get more performance out of a video card upgrade like a used 1080ti for $500 than a new Intel based system swap out.

What game currently isn’t running fast enough to suit?

Not enough to bother

You are playing at 1440p with a 1070. A CPU won’t even improve that scenario very much. You’d get more performance out of a video card upgrade like a used 1080ti for $500 than a new Intel based system swap out.

What game currently isn’t running fast enough to suit?

I couldn't agree more. I've got tons of processors and systems floating around here. A Core i5 9600K @ 5.0GHz isn't really any faster with the same video card as my Threadripper 2920X @ 4.2GHz or my Core i7 5960X @ 4.5GHz. Its a little bit better, but not much. We are talking about a few FPS at best.

Reactions: noko
like this
Do you have an urgency? is there anything that your 1700 can't provide at the moment?
Which Intel did you have in mind? Some of the intel's processor should be taking a hit with the new update to the issue with security.
Gaming wise games benefit of higher clock speeds, new 3 series should offer higher clock out of the box, and more compatibility with ram.

What I recommend is do a small overclock, and.
1)Spend the money on something that could improve the gaming experience like a video-card, vr or something more fun.
2)If you want to upgrade wait till the 3 series AMD comes out or wait till Intel releases redesigned processors that deal with their security problem. I don't see immediate benefits of upgrading unless you need a feature of a new motherboard, like more pci lanes speed, more M2 sockets, ect.

Last edited:

Depends. How far out of the loop are you? Completely or mostly?
Is this a keeping up with the Jones's scenario, or an internal conflict?
If it is an excess of $$ I would say sell now. Can't go wrong.
I would say Flip! Then again in a few months if it doesn't work out.

I'm also looking to upgrade from my R7 1700 when Zen 3 launches, and I do have scenarios that completely max out my 1700 between some super heavy threaded games (Cities Skylines is a game I wish was CPU benchmarked.) And real time conversion of video via Plex or streaming.

I'd wait till X570 and Zen 3000, it may be a few months but you can possibly lose something by trying to force an upgrade too early. The 1700 will suffice for now.

If you're looking for pure gaming performance then just spend the cash on a GPU unless you know of exact scenarios that will push your CPU to the limits.

If you're not looking at extreme high FPS gaming (144hz+) you're probably fine with the 1700.

July 7th, and if AMD is not pulling a fast one the 3700x is 15 to 25% ipc increase over zen 1 plus or 30% over zen 1 or you could go R9 and 12core. Also was reading a single chipset but not sure of ccx modules and if that give a boost over older designs.

So, july 7th, 15% IPC increase and 20% clock increases vs. your 1700 at 65W. That will provide a huge boost in performance - on the order of 40% at the same tdp - and actually probably larger in most games that use 4-6 cores as you'll be boosting way higher than the stock 3.2ghz of the 1700. However, you you won't see all of that unless you are cpu limited in your games, and even if you are now, you likely will not get the full 40% as you will end up GPU limited at a certain point unless you have a very high end gpu running a lower resolution, which based on your sig is not the case.

Monitor and specific games played would be helpful.

My vote is always to grab a used 1080ti or go 1440p/144hz before upgrading other capable resources.

Sitting on 1440p and 144hz monitor here.

Playing stuff like PUBG, Battlefield 1 or 5, Mordhau, Monster Hunter, etc.

Back