Ryzen 1600 Overclock

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Board is the Gigabyte K7, R5 [email protected] with 1.425v although actual V is slightly less. Corsair LPX 3000 CL15 @2933, H100i V2 cooler, PSU is the EVGA 750 G2 Gold.

Not sure how much more it'll put out, at 1.38v I get the reboot after logging into Windows, and at 1.4v reboots half way through Cinebench. I didn't try 1.4125, just went right to 1.425 which makes her stable, but again it's actually slightly less V anyways.

I can run Blender AMD demo, alongside Heaven, and Cinebench @4.0 1.425, SOC @1.1, and Loadline on Auto.

overclock.JPG

Last edited:
Having a wierd problem I've run into before but it's been a long while. I cranked it up to 4.2 and I got no post. I ended up just putting the jumper on cmos clear, (powering on/off, then *removing the jumper) went back in and set everything to OC of 4.0 again. But in Windows it still shows 3.2, all default settings. So I went back into the bios, verified the settings, reset the 4.0 settings, same result. Windows and everything else, cpuz etc, is showing 3.2 default. So I went back into the bios and loaded the optimized defaults, rebooted, back into the bios, and reset the OC settings for 4.0. Same deal... it's like any settings I choose are being ignored now... :banghead: Idea's?

You have to power down and turn off power to your supply and press the power button to discharge all the capacitors onboard before clearing CMOS. Slight voltage keeps your settings from previously. Leave the CMOS jumper on for at least 10 seconds also on the discharged board.

ok, thanks. It's weird because after removing the jumper and powering on, I got the message that settings were defaulted, but letting the caps drain I didn't really do. I just powered off, killed the psu switch, put the jumper on, flipped the psu switch, turned the pc on, then right off, removed the jumper, powered on and got the settings are default msg. But I'll give that a go. I guess I could just pull the battery as well.

Hey, that's a pretty good OC on that 1600. Nice job!

yeah... I just got too greedy and pushed it to 4.2... now no oc'ing settings will stick, just default speeds even though the bios reports my changed settings. I'll try what was mentioned above tonight, and be happy with 4ghz :) it's for a friend anyways and he wasn't optimistic about getting past 3.8.

4ghz is a excellent overclock and plenty fast. With the current process AMD is using that is pretty much the wall, takes far too much voltage to go beyond it.

4ghz is a excellent overclock and plenty fast. With the current process AMD is using that is pretty much the wall, takes far too much voltage to go beyond it.

True. Mine would POST as high as 4.2, but even 4.1 needed 1.45 vcore, ran hot, and still wasn't fully stable. Needed more voltage. Don't even want to think about what 4.2 would need to be stable. Would probably burn it up. It's funny how Ryzen does a nice easy 3.8 on stock pretty much everything, but every bump up from that starts costing serious voltage and temp. So 4GHz was the ceiling for mine, too. Even that was f*cking hard to pull off.

On another note, does anyone think there will be a "Black Edition" of the 1600 series? Like some core unlocking goodness? Didn't mean to thread crap.

On another note, does anyone think there will be a "Black Edition" of the 1600 series? Like some core unlocking goodness? Didn't mean to thread crap.

It's doubtful we will see any more of that. AMD itself started forcing motherboard makers to disable that functionality when the 800 and 900 series chipsets rolled out on AM3+. The option still appeared in the bios' of several AM3+ boards I had, but it stopped functioning beyond certain bios revisions. There also appears to not be any extraneous circuitry on AM4 boards that could serve the purpose of controlling such an option.

And the big thing pointing to this not happening is AMD doesn't need the gimmick. It already has an abundance of core counts at a wide range of prices to compete with, and they're holding their own performance wise.

ok, thanks. It's weird because after removing the jumper and powering on, I got the message that settings were defaulted, but letting the caps drain I didn't really do. I just powered off, killed the psu switch, put the jumper on, flipped the psu switch, turned the pc on, then right off, removed the jumper, powered on and got the settings are default msg. But I'll give that a go. I guess I could just pull the battery as well.

I've seen that behavior on 2 different Gigabyte boards I have, including the one in my sig. I have to change settings in stages or the don't seem to take effect if done all at once.

I've seen that behavior on 2 different Gigabyte boards I have, including the one in my sig. I have to change settings in stages or the don't seem to take effect if done all at once.

that's how I initially got up to 4.0, started with 3.4 -> 3.6 -> 3.8 -> and finally 4.0. 3.8ghz needed a slight voltage bump, and 4.0 required the 1.425 (1.4 actual), so I'll also give that a try.

Got it resolved for now... turned out to be the XMP profile, which doesn't make sense. I had XMP turned on from day 1, it's only when I upped the multiplier to 41 that it started giving me this head ache. I did the suggestions above, but the BIOS wouldn't really take any of the OC settings. Even the backup bios. When it would boot, Windows and Cinebench reported 4ghz, but CPUZ was telling me 3.4ghz. I even tried re-flashing the bios. The board was doing some strange things, for starters it was going straight into the bios on every bootup, cold or not, and I would have to exit without saving. If I quit with saving, it would reboot and dump me right back into the bios. BIOS was also giving me some strange message about the ROM not being able to load, and not having permission to load the ROM. After doing some googling, turns out I'm not the only one having this problem. It seems to be caused by having the XMP memory profile enabled, but I've had it enabled since the beginning so... Anyways, I set the memory timings manually, set the oc back to 4.0, and away she goes now :)

Reactions: atom
like this
Back