Ryzen 1600 AF or 1700x

Ruddys

Weaksauce
Hi.
Feel free to skip to question part as 1st part just writing in detail how I get to the choice I have now,

So many months ago my 1st ryzen build ever died randomly and refused to post.As I had spares to troubleshoot ended up with dead 1700x and as I had no proof of purchases did not even bother to search for warranty support .Till 2 weeks ago came across that AMD has 3 year warranty tried to submit RMA ticket and it did succeed and my dead 1700x is being replaced. The thing is recently as well tried to revive PC from spare parts so my gf would get her 1st gaming PC.
So ordered ryzen 1600 ended up with AF version of it and with ease can do 4.2ghz at 1.37v with 65C max temp under prime95 torture.

So as I am getting new ryzen 1700x and have already 1600AF in the system witch should I keep better and witch one to sell if main usage is gaming at 1080p 120hz ( might be upgraded to 1440p)

I'd stick with the 1600af for gaming. You should be able to get a decent memory clock to hold as well as the cpu clock and those 2 things combined would offer a much better gaming experience. That also means you can sell the 1700x unused to put toward something else.

which.
i agree, if your AF is doing 4.2 and your primary use is gaming, keep it

Agreed, for gaming the higher frequency and memory makes the 1600AF a win. If you had work loads that needed cores, maybe another story, but for primary gaming, I'd stick with it.

You say you 'Ended Up' with a 1600 AF. May I ask where you bought yours ? and your saying it wasn't advertised as a 1600 AF ? The reason I ask is I've been checking Microcenter to see if they have any 1600 AF mixed in the original AE version and no they haven't.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Then its decided plus as mentioned unopened CPU will sell faster .
You say you 'Ended Up' with a 1600 AF. May I ask where you bought yours ? and your saying it wasn't advertised as a 1600 AF ? The reason I ask is I've been checking Microcenter to see if they have any 1600 AF mixed in the original AE version and no they haven't.

Thanks !

Had no idea about AF variant at the time of purchase and came across one of the threads about it day before post man delivered it to me.
Purchased from customparts.ie had no idea if it was advertised as AF as was not searching for it specifically.Just needed something to make PC work again.

pretty sure that unless a store sets them aside its just a chance of getting an AF until the AEs all run out. then they will be the norm. they are supposed to just be a new batch of "regular old" 1600s right? its not like they are a "K" model or something like that.

pretty sure that unless a store sets them aside its just a chance of getting an AF until the AEs all run out. then they will be the norm. they are supposed to just be a new batch of "regular old" 1600s right? its not like they are a "K" model or something like that.

That's what I would think. As this whole craze started on Amazon where I'm sure they weren't an 'Exclusive', I am confused as to how they seem to be the only place carrying them. I'm waiting to grab one at Microcenter for $79

I just got back on this pc and finally have Breakpoint running .. I didn't catch that AB half way shut it's self off.. but I fixed it .. 1600 AF

Last edited:
That's what I would think. As this whole craze started on Amazon where I'm sure they weren't an 'Exclusive', I am confused as to how they seem to be the only place carrying them. I'm waiting to grab one at Microcenter for $79
Since there is no Ryzen 2400, Ryzen 1600 AF is probably the lowest you can get on the worst parts of the yield. Maybe this already existed on some models from Dell or HP and since this line is deprecated they've come to general sales.

Back