Ryuji & ScHpAnKy's Bondo Aventure (pics)!

ryuji

2[H]4U
Pictures and captions were by ScHpAnKy... he's a dinky head (and currently logged on to ryuji's account! And totally writing out this post... mwahaha)
img03259ju.jpg

On top, YAY!
img03263nh.jpg

From the side, looks like a heard of geese took a shit on it.
img03272qr.jpg

See it? (Nice car on the bondo can, eh? ;))
img03296qy.jpg

The sinister bastards who put this together... (Left to right: ScHpAnKy, Ryuji)
img03351mg.jpg

SOS pads are great for rubbing away layers of bondo'd skin!

Nice, but you really put too much bondo on there. Glue the drive blanks to the front facia, let that dry, then lay down your layer of bondo, being sure to press it into the crevases. To each their own I guess. Looking forward to seeing where this mod goes from here :)

the problem is i dont have drive blanks, and i wanted it flat, with curved sides, and i wanted to get rid of those stupid finger holes we used plexy as a stand-in and i needed to fill in the buttons as well, i knew i was going to use a crapload of bondo, but i think the end results going to be worth it i also have a clever plan for the bottom, i got some squair shaped rods that im bending into a staple shape that im going to put infront jail bar style maybe 2 or 3 cms from eachother and then black screen material is going behind that to finish the effect

i think my plan is good, if anyones got a better suggestion go ahead and make it

ryuji said:
the problem is i dont have drive blanks, and i wanted it flat, with curved sides, and i wanted to get rid of those stupid finger holes we used plexy as a stand-in and i needed to fill in the buttons as well, i knew i was going to use a crapload of bondo, but i think the end results going to be worth it i also have a clever plan for the bottom, i got some squair shaped rods that im bending into a staple shape that im going to put infront jail bar style maybe 2 or 3 cms from eachother and then black screen material is going behind that to finish the effect

i think my plan is good, if anyones got a better suggestion go ahead and make it

WAY TO DIVULGE EXTREMELY TOP SECRET INFORMATION, BUD!!!

ScHpAnKy said:
WAY TO DIVULGE EXTREMELY TOP SECRET INFORMATION, BUD!!!
lol top secret? i can always edit the post ;) hell you can edit it yourself, you know my password :p

a little tip with the bondo, it looks like you used a little too much hardener. from the looks of it it seems it hardened before you were finished shaping it.
use less hardener (a really small amount is all thats needed if you mix it well) and keep it out of the sun and heat when applying it to keep it from curing too fast.

good luck ScHpAnKy and Ryuji!

actualy, it was too runny, how you stop it from being runny schpanky gave it once last shape like 5 minutes after i finished applying it

Christ you guys that is a mess. I'd just throw it away and start over. Bondo isn't meant to be 1/4" thick anywhere. Obviously you used too much but geeze at least use a spreader.

If you must make it thick, put it on in LAYERS. Globbing it on is like asking for trouble.

You can probably D.A. most of that away with 80 grit or something but it still wont form an even layer over whatever you're trying to cover up.

Maybe this thread will be made sticky [pun intended] as a tutorial for how not to apply Bondo. I guess a piece of cardboard to act as a spreader was too much to ask. If this is anything but a joke, you're in for a few sleepless nights getting that mess to resemble what you had intended. Or... go for a Cthulhu theme! :D

Me and Qtip don't agree on much, but he's 100% right here.

Even if that dries properly (I doubt it), you will have a heck of a time sanding that smooth or even. It's saves so much time if you use just barely enough Bondo and spread it smoothly.

Remember, this is modding - you shouldn't come out of it looking like you were in a food fight. :D

that was as smooth as we could get it, and we did layers it its also far from a inch thick its actualy as thin as we could get it to be

the places that we had to make it a bit thick are getting sanded mostly off, i wanted to make a curve so i put enough so when i sand it it will be possible

on the topic of way too much, this stuff is used to fix cars.... on the can they actualy suggest making it 2-3 inches thick... we only have it 3 cms thick in places remember the chieftec bezel has a sharp corner on the edges, we flattened it out thats all, its quite thin in the middle

if we did it completely wrong ohwell, excess bondo will be taken care of with the sand paper anyhow

You could use a rasp (looks like a cheese grater) to smooth down the large lumps so you don't have to sand so much.

sandpaper? for that mess? if you spend more time smoothing the bondo before it dries, you will spend 1/4 of the time you will to sand that blob of retardation down.

i didnt have a problem sanding bondo before, it sanded real fast, i see this sanding job as no more then 1 hour of sanding

ryuji said:
i didnt have a problem sanding bondo before, it sanded real fast, i see this sanding job as no more then 1 hour of sanding

if you spent a little time with a piece of cardboard or plastic smoothing out the bondo, you would only be spending 15 mins sanding. you'd avoid bubbles and pits too.

nice... the joint effort work log is getting popular... :) ...heh, I said "joint"... cool! ;)

Sooooooo, what's it gonna look like?? start carving and shaving already!! heh.

i did some sanding but i need new sand paper for the belt sander, the sand paper was too old and broke when i was half done, once im done with sanding ill need to touch up some air bubbles most likely, nothing major tho

never thought of carving somthing into it... hmmm i was thinking of just making it flat with curves on the sides the bondo is thick enough to carve somthing, the question is what can i do...

ryuji said:
img03272qr.jpg

See it? (Nice car on the bondo can, eh? ;))

No stangs suck! that why they put them on a can of bondo cuz they use so much of it!

img03296qy.jpg

The sinister bastards who put this together... (Left to right: ScHpAnKy, Ryuji)

Are you to gay? Looks like it...

Anyway looks cool. Lot of bondo yeah got there, ;)

leave it to some fellow massholes to get some weird shit with bondo going on.
looking forward to seeing where this goes

tankkid said:
good luck sanding that. interested in seeing where this goes.

Ya no kidding... you're suppose to apply that stuff as smooth as possible so that you spend a few hours, not a few days sanding it. I'm guessing you're gonna start by hand, get tired and feel discourage because you're not getting anywhere with the sanding... then you're gonna use a sanding tool of some type and end up sanding too much and botching it up...

Hehe j/k... enjoy sanding

hehe. patiently awaiting the next step of this mod.

This looks like a case of 2 friends who decided to mod the bezel and joked around doing it. Same thing happened to me, usually modding for me is done better by myself, but maybe ryuji and schpanky are gonna pull it off, lets see!

That would be cool to shut up all the non-believers....

go guys go!

the joint effort work log is getting popular
I was thinking the same thing. :p

the bezel went on halt, yesterday and today i was getting ready for a lan party, next weekend i may finish up the sanding, i just need to get into a modding mood, got too many games to play right now :p

gimme a week or two and ill update you all, i know for certain i need to add more bondo tho, there are places we missed belive it or not

Back