Ryuji has been at it again... more extreme lapping

How exactly did you lap them? Did you polish them too? What grit sand papers? What flat surface did you use? What exact techinque/motion did you use in your lapping?

:)

Starfox said:
How exactly did you lap them? Did you polish them too? What grit sand papers? What flat surface did you use? What exact techinque/motion did you use in your lapping?

:)
sand paper and water... 320-3000 grit, finished off with paper towel and elbow grease

cuz of the "ryu" in ur name i guess. akuma ftw though.

and i dont think you'd want to wet-sand a core :p

Soymilk said:
cuz of the "ryu" in ur name i guess. akuma ftw though.

and i dont think you'd want to wet-sand a core :p
sure i would.. no power... no fry

actually, you should match lap your stuff whenever possible.

1.) Lap the heatsink / waterblock
2.) Lap the processor
3.) With a bit of polising compound and a lot of patience, put small spots of it in between the processor mating surface and the HSF mating surface and polish them into a perfectly mating pair.

104317361585CkZAmyBz_1_11_l.jpg

thats exactly how my pressy looked second time around with lapping... the linked photo was really old...

nice idea about the rubbing compound... ill do that with the 506 ill be playing with.. just need to wait for the universal tdx top to come in mail.. that will give me plenty of time to lapp the cpu

I'm going to poop all over that, then how effective will your lapping be?! :p

You should see the heatsink I cut down and lapped yesterday at work, that was pimp

ryuji said:
ill do that when i find a cpu thats not flat

actually none of the bare cores are flat, the IHS's might be almost flat but not the bare cores.

I have seen many lapped IHS's, and only 1 lapped bare core I want to see another.

Steve said:

2.) Lap the processor
3.) With a bit of polising compound and a lot of patience, put small spots of it in between the processor mating surface and the HSF mating surface and polish them into a perfectly mating pair.

is that not the northy that went *POP*? :D

nice lap jobs Ryuji :D

[edit] just checked and :O it is indeed

KaptainBlaZzed said:
actually none of the bare cores are flat, the IHS's might be almost flat but not the bare cores.

I have seen many lapped IHS's, and only 1 lapped bare core I want to see another.
maybe ill lapp my FX57 core... but its gotta really need it... actualy it wouldnt be too bad to lapp.. just some 2000 grit...

Steve said:

2.) Lap the processor

Using a polish on the base of a heatsink and/or cpu core after lapping seems counterproductive. The whole point of lapping is to get a better mate between two objects, and thus get better temperatures, correct? Well, using a polish with crappy thermal properties doesn't help - it inhibits thermal heat transfer.

Polish gets permanently stuck in the microscopic valleys, etc. This is exactly where your thermal compound should be. It would be far more effective to rub a bit of AS5 on the bottom of the HSF, wipe off the excess, and apply the rest per directions.

It sure does look nice though :).

Back