RX5500XT - Radeon Adrenaline - Windows 10 System Startup Hangs

luke1234

n00b
This problem started happening about a week ago - before all was fine with my system, running 20.4.2 and then 20.7.1 of Adrenaline.

Here's what happens - during startup (BIOS logo disabled) the windows "logo" appears (the blue parallelogram) with the cycling dots - this then stops and the top of the parallelogram is cut off horizontally. After trying a load of things I've worked out this only happens when the Adrenaline driver is installed on my system.

I have:

- reinstalled windows
- updated windows with required critical updates
- install Adrenaline 20.4.2 (the latest "safe" version)
- restart is required
- startup hangs
- enter safe mode
- uninstall

I have tried 20.8.3 as well - same result.

I have also updated my BIOS to latest (2202).

I am wondering:

-- why is this only now happening when, 2 weeks ago, my system started up and ran just fine?
-- what is the problem and how do I solve it?

------------------------------------------------
ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
Ryzen 5 2400G
16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz RAM
Powercolor AMD RX5500XT 8GB GPU
ADATA XPG SX9200 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD
TOSHIBA 1TB HDD
INTEGRATOR 500W PSU

download and run ddu. then install the new 20.8.3. theres rumblings that they are really good...
you also need to make sure youre windows is up to 2004, i think.

Also, I recommend trying a USB live cd Linux thumb drive. Always a sanity check if windows is acting up or the PC having issues. Seems really odd it only happens once drivers are installed. You aren't installing ryzen master or anything are you? Are integrated graphics disabled or is it running both integrated and discrete? Sorry, hard to try to troubleshoot through the interwebs ;).
Not that it shouldn't handle it, but do you have access to another PSU? A lot of GPU stop working issues lead back to a failing PSU although in your case I'm guessing it's a driver issue of some sort, but another thing you can check off the list. I have full spare PCs so I can swap stuff around when I run into issues like this. Still time consuming but it allows me to test each individual piece at a time.

download and run ddu. then install the new 20.8.3. theres rumblings that they are really good...
you also need to make sure youre windows is up to 2004, i think.
Considering he reinstalled windows before installing drivers, he shouldn't need DDU, but it is a good idea to use it anytime you change drivers in your system.

Considering he reinstalled windows before installing drivers, he shouldn't need DDU, but it is a good idea to use it anytime you change drivers in your system.

Thanks for the various suggestions. None address the issue of why this was working before and now does not. I do wonder if the GPU may developed have a fault.

Here's the latest - I tried once more to install the Radeon drivers having uninstalled my AV (BitDefender) ... and the PC hangs as usual. So I then shut down, removed the GPU, and rebooted. Successfully. The Radeon software is still working with the onboard Radeon graphics. Need to do a few more reboots to ensure it's still working. This makes the GPU number 1 suspect I fear.

Thanks for the various suggestions. None address the issue of why this was working before and now does not. I do wonder if the GPU may developed have a fault.

Here's the latest - I tried once more to install the Radeon drivers having uninstalled my AV (BitDefender) ... and the PC hangs as usual. So I then shut down, removed the GPU, and rebooted. Successfully. The Radeon software is still working with the onboard Radeon graphics. Need to do a few more reboots to ensure it's still working. This makes the GPU number 1 suspect I fear.

Very well could be. RMA it.

Yeah, this is when a second desktop comes in handy to swap my he GPU and see if the problem follows. Seems unlucky that it worked for a short time and then stopped, but that's what it seems at this point in time. Odd that it shows BIOS splash screen too though.

Yeah, this is when a second desktop comes in handy to swap my he GPU and see if the problem follows. Seems unlucky that it worked for a short time and then stopped, but that's what it seems at this point in time. Odd that it shows BIOS splash screen too though.

The monitor worked fine through the card even in Windows before the driver was installed. I just assume that without a driver (other than default Windows) much of the GPU hardware isn’t used.

Yeah, before the AMD driver loads (using default MS drivers) there isn't much stress as it defaults to no hardware acceleration and just uses it for the frame buffer. The real drivers do quite a bit more. I would still attempt to put ubuntu live or similar on a USB drive and see if it does the same thing or allows it to run no issues with the Linux drivers if you don't have a second machine. At least it can point to windows issues vs. hardware problem, but at this point RMA may be the best route.
Either way, keep us posted on the outcome.

RMA was accepted (says they tested it and so I assume they found fault) - now to decide whether to get a GTX 1650 Super instead! (Having read about lots of issues people have with Radeon drivers and RX5x00 cards...)

RMA was accepted (says they tested it and so I assume they found fault) - now to decide whether to get a GTX 1650 Super instead! (Having read about lots of issues people have with Radeon drivers and RX5x00 cards...)
it was just over a month with drivers issues, only if using the new ones from that month. the newest releases seem to be fine, anything after 20.3.1 if i remember right.

Here is where factory reset is located in the driver .. I do my reset before the new driver is installed on the installer package under additional setting drop down ' .. I have not used DDU ever since AMD added it to the driver package ,

Back