rx490 vs GTX 1080TI

yeah does this guy sound like he knows what he is talking about?

So the impatient game lovers, Radeon RX 490 is expected to work very slightly cooler and achieve higher clock frequencies than the GTX 1080Ti because the Radeon is 2 nm smaller than the GTX 1080 Ti.

Sure didn't happen with Polaris because of the node :)

And everything else is based on rumors which we already have multiple threads for.

And then he has the balls to write this
that gave a little insight for the tech freaks

What does that make the author of this article a moron. Handicapped mentally disabled? A fool or all of the above. Because all he has there are rumors which most likely are all not correct or even close to being correct at this point.

yeah does this guy sound like he knows what he is talking about?

Sure didn't happen with Polaris because of the node :)

And everything else is based on rumors which we already have multiple threads for.

And then he has the balls to write this

What does that make the author of this article a moron. Handicapped mentally disabled? A fool or all of the above. Because all he has there are rumors which most likely are all not correct or even close to being correct at this point.

If your going to slam the article for the sake of getting your Polaris dig in, at least do you could do is read and quote the whole thing.

"RX 490 is expected to work very slightly cooler and achieve higher clock frequencies............1080 Ti comes with a base clock speed of 1,503-megahertz (MHz) and the AMD Radeon RX 490 is speculated by Videocardz to have 1,200 MHz"

"Both have the same amount of video memory if we compare the GPUs..............1080 Ti has 12 GB GDDR5, on a 320-bit bus while RX 490 is expected to have 16 GB HBM2, on a 4,906-bit bus"

So the impatient game lovers, Radeon RX 490 is expected to work very slightly cooler and achieve higher clock frequencies than the GTX 1080Ti because the Radeon is 2 nm smaller than the GTX 1080 Ti.

But what about actual PERFORMANCE?

Running cooler and at higher clock speeds means jack squat without a relative performance comparison.

We can take a single transistor and crank it to huge clock speeds while running the die it sits on very cool. Doesn't mean it's going to outperform a 1050, let alone a 1080.

If your going to slam the article for the sake of getting your Polaris dig in, at least do you could do is read and quote the whole thing.

"RX 490 is expected to work very slightly cooler and achieve higher clock frequencies............1080 Ti comes with a base clock speed of 1,503-megahertz (MHz) and the AMD Radeon RX 490 is speculated by Videocardz to have 1,200 MHz"

"Both have the same amount of video memory if we compare the GPUs..............1080 Ti has 12 GB GDDR5, on a 320-bit bus while RX 490 is expected to have 16 GB HBM2, on a 4,906-bit bus"

I read the entire article and we already have a thread on the videocardz rumor ;) So nothing new, same old rehash of rumors which don't really make much sense when you look at the whole picture of what processes and how chips are designed.

And that wasn't a dig at Polaris, that is reality, outside of its node it got nothing in power savings, tragically it does worse performance per transistor in many situations than a r390/x..... Polaris is not a shining achievement from AMD yeah its better than what they had before, but still, its way behind in a category that AMD showed how important it is with the 4xxx and 4xxx series of cards.

And who the hell expects a 1080ti at 180 watts, that is what the gtx 1080 is at right now lol. nV is going to magically get a gp102 which is a 220 watt card down to 180 watts with greater mhz on their memory? That is a 25% savings over a few months, shit if they could do that, they will be golden, but reality tells us no things like that don't happen. Any serious reporter about tech in this case graphics cards, should be putting ????? all around those rumors.

Last edited:
I read the entire article and we already have a thread on the videocardz rumor ;) So nothing new, same old rehash of rumors which don't really make much sense when you look at the whole picture of what processes and how chips are designed.

And that wasn't a dig at Polaris, that is reality, outside of its node it got nothing in power savings, tragically it does worse performance per transistor in many situations than a r390/x..... Polaris is not a shining achievement from AMD yeah its better than what they had before, but still, its way behind in a category that AMD showed how important it is with the 4xxx and 4xxx series of cards.

And who the hell expects a 1080ti at 180 watts, that is what the gtx 1080 is at right now lol. nV is going to magically get a gp102 which is a 220 watt card down to 180 watts with greater mhz on their memory? That is a 25% savings over a few months, shit if they could do that, they will be golden, but reality tells us no things like that don't happen. Any serious reporter about tech in this case graphics cards, should be putting ????? all around those rumors.
Woooshh.... the sound of my comment flying over your head.
And thanks for greatly elaborating on your Polaris dig :ROFLMAO:

Lol it reads like something Hillary would try pull.

The Nvidia design is actually slower because Russia and 2nm of marketing measurements said so. Sources! THEY SAID! THE REST IS CONSPIRACY!1!

Yep that is as crazy as the 50% reduction of the 480 power because of node maturity, just doesn't happen lol.

Guys I've decided I'm going to start, (not one, but two!) of my own hardware news websites through which I will post only the highest quality gobbledygook.

I will start TWO websites so that they source each other for rumors, thus greatly increasing the amusement factor.

Guys I've decided I'm going to start, (not one, but two!) of my own hardware news websites through which I will post only the highest quality gobbledygook.

I will start TWO websites so that they source each other for rumors, thus greatly increasing the amusement factor.
So much this. I remember a time where some of the rumor mills were mildly entertaining. That's over a decade ago for sure. Feels like complete tabloids now a days.

Now we can just see the author of the article or the website its on and know if its just trash or not lol.

We still have in youtube reviewers thinking async can be done in software lol. Man its funny how rumors just get spread around and people pick it up and talk about them as if they are truths.

Now we can just see the author of the article or the website its on and know if its just trash or not lol.

We still have in youtube reviewers thinking async can be done in software lol. Man its funny how rumors just get spread around and people pick it up and talk about them as if they are truths.

Don't forget that nvidia is going to be filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy any day now since they lost the consoles this generation.

Any day now.

They're just waiting for Jen-Hsun to get sized for his new Chick-fil-a uniform.

Expect untold numbers of pre-owned super-cars to be put up on eBay shortly.

Might be better off just waiting and seeing what happens, new shit comes out all the time why bother with rumors?

Oh, Jesus Christ here we go. Can't we all just simmer down until there's some actual information out there?

My bet: RX490 will be on par with a 1070, because that's the way AMD has played it for the last couple years.

I'll still pick one up because I'm dying for an upgrade and don't want to get a new monitor.

My bet is AMD releases statements and benchmarks showing the 490 holding its own, being a fantastic overclocker and the best videocard in the world. Then it gets released and everyone realizes that it was all BS and the benchmarks was smoke and mirrors. This sounds very familiar....Oh yeah, i heard all this with the Fury.

My bet is AMD releases statements and benchmarks showing the 490 holding its own, being a fantastic overclocker and the best videocard in the world. Then it gets released and everyone realizes that it was all BS and the benchmarks was smoke and mirrors. This sounds very familiar....Oh yeah, i heard all this with the Fury.

Theres no way they'll fare worse than they did vs Maxwell which was simply slaughter especially at Maxwell launch.

If the Vega 12tflop leak is true there's no way in hell it'll only match a 1070 unless it's even more held back than fury X was.

I expect the Vega 10 part to compete with gtx 1080 and be bigger and more expensive to manufacture

Theres no way they'll fare worse than they did vs Maxwell which was simply slaughter especially at Maxwell launch.

If the Vega 12tflop leak is true there's no way in hell it'll only match a 1070 unless it's even more held back than fury X was.

I expect the Vega 10 part to compete with gtx 1080 and be bigger and more expensive to manufacture

If they hit 12TF, at 225 watts for the entire card, which is highly unlikely, they will be between gtx 1080 and Titan P performance closer to the later.

Time will tell. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything Earth shattering. Evening if they do nvidia will just bust out the 1080Ti.

If they hit 12TF, at 225 watts for the entire card, which is highly unlikely, they will be between gtx 1080 and Titan P performance closer to the later.

Yeah I should have clarified, on paper it would be between Titan and 1080, in practice I expect it to perform like a 1080 and not a Titan

still think it will be closer to Titan than 1080 cause of the front end changes but its anyone's guess lol and there is a large disparity between those two cards so it won't be anything that nV can't fight.

still think it will be closer to Titan than 1080 cause of the front end changes but its anyone's guess lol and there is a large disparity between those two cards so it won't be anything that nV can't fight.

Front-end changes that weren't in Polaris maybe, but P10 still does worse per flop than the 1060 most of the time

This is obviously assuming the 12tflop figure is true; so ~1460mhz on the HPC part which would suggest very deep changes

true but there possibly that the more units, you might have that performance hit drop.

We need to hope they have made these changes you two speak of. AMD needs to get back to some sort of good image, even if just in the high end.

I expect the 1080 ti to be halfway between the 1080 and titan x pascal.

The 490, I still expect to compete with a 1070.

I expect the 1080 ti to be halfway between the 1080 and titan x pascal.

The 490, I still expect to compete with a 1070.

Wake up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The fury x is already 980ti ish speed which is basically 1070 speed. The 490 specs stomp the fury x so I 100% expect it to be faster than Fury x, 1070, and 980ti. We can all highly assume it'll sit between 1080 and Titan Pascal. Why would AMD wait this long and release a half ass turd of a card. You know AMD has samples of the 1080 and 1070 that they are bench marking and making sure their 490 is faster.

In the automotive world, all the BIG 3 OEMs (GM, FCA, Ford) buy their competitors cars and tear them down to see what they are dealing with and see what improvements they can make.

You know AMD's will be faster based on this logic. They know how fast they need to be in order to beat the 1080 and or Titan so they just need to revise the silicon in order to do so.

Nvidia is going to get slapped in the face with Vega as is Intel with Zen. We all know nvidia and Intel need this back hand otherwise 1080ti will be like $800-900 and Intel's CPUs will continue to be overpriced.

Last edited:
Back